Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

no because you are not saved
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Does a Christian lose his salvation every time he sins?

As most here know, Catholic doctrine doesn't teach "once saved, always saved."

Baptism is necessary (John 3:5) and it's good that we can confess our sins and receive forgiveness through the mercy of God because:

Hebrews 10

For if we willfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy "on the testimony of two or three witnesses." How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by those who have spurned the Son of God, profaned the blood of the covenant by which they were sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know the one who said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Nope. Those who are truly 'Christian' have been sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption of our bodies. He that has begun a good work in me will complete it.

Little children don't sin......but if you do sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, and he is faithful and just to forgive us of all sin.

Sin grieves the Holy Spirit which dwells within us, damages our ongoing relationship with GOD and renders us unfruitful and unempowered for His use.

Those who are truly 'Sons' will experience chastisement from the Father, to bring forth 'the peaceable fruit of righteousness'. Those who are illegitimate will experience no chastisement.

If one (*edit-could lose) loses one's salvation for a sin, then there is no way to regain salvation because Christ would have to die again. Jesus paid the penalty for all sin, past, present and future. 'Tetelestai'- it is finished/paid in full.
        Last edited by steko; April 19, 2011, 10:08 AM.
        Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD[YHVH], that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
        Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he[the Branch] shall be called, THE LORD[YHVH] OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Comment

Originally posted by steko View Post
          If one loses one's salvation for a sin, then there is no way to regain salvation because Christ would have to die again. Jesus paid the penalty for all sin, past, present and future. 'Tetelestai'- it is finished/paid in full.
          aren't you contradicting yourself?
          a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Comment

Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
            aren't you contradicting yourself?
            Hiya, Chrys!

I should have said, "If one 'could' lose salvation for a sin....."
            Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD[YHVH], that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
            Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he[the Branch] shall be called, THE LORD[YHVH] OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Comment

I once knew a guy who believed that......he also believed that every time you repented you had to be re-baptized.

I told him that if that were the case I think I would just spend the rest of my life sitting in a bathtub.
              Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
              ~Leonard Cohen

sigpic

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
              ~Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
                I once knew a guy who believed that......he also believed that every time you repented you had to be re-baptized.
                That last bit is new on me. Unbelievable. Did he by any chance run a baptizing business?
                Vivo per lei, perchè oramai, io non ho altra via d'uscita, perchè la musica, lo sai, davvero non l'ho mai tradita.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.--John 8:31-32

My blog:

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post

I told him that if that were the case I think I would just spend the rest of my life sitting in a bathtub.
                  Doesn't sound much like 'good news(gospel)' to me.

Comment

Does a father stop loving his child when it misbehaves?

Comment

If we are not going to ignore a good portion of the Bible and several fundamental principles of scripture, a Christian that has not yet ceased from sin is still not converted and not saved. It's not that the person lost his salvation, but that he was never converted in the first place, which is why that person is still in bondage to sin.
                      Last edited by elohiym; April 19, 2011, 10:46 AM.
                      "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Knight View Post

Sounds like Armenianism. I don't agree with this doctrine. Losing your salvation each time you sin, is the same mindset that an Old Testament Jew has. Each time he sins, he has to take a lamb, an Ox or some other animal and sacrifice it on the altar to pay the price for his sin. Jesus only needed to die once to pardon us for our sin. It is up to us to accept that pardon. Once we do, our sins are gone. We don't lose our salvation for every sin we commit afterward. They are forgiven.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Originally posted by Inzl Kett View Post
                          Once we do, our sins are gone.
                          If our sins "are gone," then how do we still sin?

Sins taken away means the sins are gone, but if one is still sinning, obviously that person's sins have not been taken away from that person's perspective.
                          "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Samstarrett View Post
                            That last bit is new on me. Unbelievable. Did he by any chance run a baptizing business?
                            If I remember correctly he figured that if you slipped back into Sin then obviously the first (or whatever) Baptism you had didn't take....so do-over!
                            Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
                            ~Leonard Cohen

sigpic

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
                            ~Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Originally posted by steko View Post
                              Doesn't sound much like 'good news(gospel)' to me.
                              I'd look like a prune.
                              ~Leonard Cohen

sigpic

~Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Working...
                              X