toldailytopic: What will heaven be like? Harps and clouds? Banquet? Streets of Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceandpeace

All but Revelations supports what I have said and when you consider what is canon and who made it canon, it should give one pause to consider the meaning. The Body of Christ will not inherit the earth, nor the wind, but be higher than angels, as a testimonial to God.

The 'meek' shall inherit the earth; albeit it is not this earth...or a physical earth..it is a spiritual place..in a since, 'heaven' is coming to earth. The heavenly city comes down OUT of heaven to the new earth...wherein righteousness dwells...we will be there..who wants to go to heaven, when God is going to be on a new earth; for He has said:

2 Pet 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

I want to be where the righteouss are...as well as God:

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God [is] with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, [and be] their God.

I believe the New Jerusalem will be on the "new" earth; and it is not a physical place.

GoingGoldenWCU

I'm a fan of C.S. Lewis' analysis:

"There is no need to be worried by facetious people who try to make the Christian hope of 'Heaven' ridiculous by saying they do not want 'to spend eternity playing harps'. The answer to such people is that if they cannot understand books written for grown-ups, they should not talk about them. All the scriptural imagery (harps, crowns, gold, etc.) is, of course, a merely symbolical attempt to express the inexpressible."
(Mere Christianity, "Hope")

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't believe in 'heaven' exactly, but in a resurrection, and I believe it will be on a New Earth, which is essentially a perfected, restored version of the Earth we live on now.

Ezekiel 37, John 3, Revelation 21.

Lovejoy

Whatever it is, it will be an eternal existence experiencing the fullness of God. Unless the Mormons are right. :eek:

pqmomba8

Skiing hard all day (w/o risk of crashing), racing super bikes in the evening (w/o risk of crashing) and having uninhibited ****** with supermodels (w/o risk of STD's and pregnancies) all night. Now THAT is heaven!!!! :)

GuySmiley

I hope we get to replay historical events to watch. I want to have a drink with Stripe and Alate while watching the flood.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What will heaven be like? Harps and clouds? Banquet? Streets of Gold?

There are those who think they are the only one's in heaven, so the rest of us in heaven will have to be really quiet.

Last edited:

Lovejoy

There are those who think they are the only one's in heaven, so the rest of us are in heaven will have to be really quiet.

Hey, a little Psalmist style smack, nice! See, it does carry more weight when you wield it with some restraint.

Silent Hunter

I'll think those who are in heaven will have to be really quiet, because there are those who think they are the only one's there.
. . . LOL . . . sounds a lot like the notes I read on a debate between a theist and an atheist in a supposed extremely religious city in the Deep South . . . the atheists who showed up were surprised to encounter so many, like themselves, lacking a belief in a deity . . . they each thought they were the only atheist in town.

Lovejoy

Has anyone read Heaven is For Real? A pastor friend of mine read it, and absolutely loved it. I know nothing about it, except that it features quite a lot of imagery about the heavenly state immediately following death (obviously not the final, post resurrection state).

ddevonb

Well, if it's what the ancient Israelites believed, that would seem to me to be if anything a point in its favor, but I build this belief primarily on Scripture.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

1 Cor 15:12-19

Rev 21:1

Except Rev 21:1 clearly says their will be a new heaven and a new earth. They are not the same thing nor do they have the same purpose.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
. . . LOL . . . sounds a lot like the notes I read on a debate between a theist and an atheist in a supposed extremely religious city in the Deep South . . . the atheists who showed up were surprised to encounter so many, like themselves, lacking a belief in a deity . . . they each thought they were the only atheist in town.
Not to let the cat out of that particular bag, but there really were only a couple of atheists. The rest of us showed up so they wouldn't feel badly about it. That's the way we are here. :D

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe that 'to be absent from the body, is to be present with the LORD', which, to me, implies a soul/body dualism, therefore when a believer's body dies, it decays into dust, and the soul goes to be in the presence of the LORD, in heaven(which means up somewhere). I think that it is the New Jerusalem in which there are many abodes/dwellings. Just what transpires or what one perceives in that state, I don't know, but I expect it is a satisfied blissful peace. We will remain in that state until the time of the resurrection when our soul is united with our new glorified body and 'the judgement seat of Christ', a judgement of gain or loss of rewards, occurs. I believe that we were created to be a soul/body unity and that we are incomplete until then. I think that the body is the apparatus through which the created physical realm is perceived and experienced. This present earth will be purged and restored for the Millennial reign of Christ on David's throne for a thousand years and I believe the New Jerusalem will likely be a satellite to the earth at that time. At the end of the thousand year reign there will be a new heaven and new earth and the New Jerusalem will come down and connect with the new earth.
I don't believe that we were created to live as phantoms in a gaseous existence called 'heaven' , floating around on an indefineable spiritual substance, but that we were made to ultimately exist in a physical existence of new qualities which is of 'heavenly' influence.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Heaven

An Open Theist was asked to be very quiet when Saint Peter led him past a building. "Why do I have to be so quiet? he asked.

"There are Calvinists in there," Saint Peter replied. "They think they are the only ones in heaven".:chuckle:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Probably, the best glimpse of a heaven experience is Rev 4 and 5, though I think that it is a unique particular event among many in heaven.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope we get to replay historical events to watch. I want to have a drink with Stripe and Alate while watching the flood.
:banana:

That'd be cool. Except for seeing all the people dying. :noid:

:think: We could put it all on fast forward and see if we can spot any evolution. :chuckle:

But perhaps there will be better things we can have a drink over. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.