toldailytopic: Are stereotypes ever useful/good/valuable, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, it really doesn't.

It most certainly is. Do not run your mouth about things of which you know not.

How the Speaker of the House dresses is not symbolic for the whole country.

Who said symbolic? She was number 2 in America for real, not for sybmolism. It was disgraceful what she did. But you will justify the unjustifyable for political gain/approval. You are a pathetic no good loser.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
For the daily topic....they can be but often do damage. And profiling can probably be effective but should be avoided.

You're walking down the street and on one side of the street you see a group of loud obnoxious white kids; smoking dope, hooting and howlering at people passing by.

The other side you see a group of black kids, well dressed, being courteous to others as they passed by, in fact you even saw some Bibles amongst them.

Be sure that you don't "profile" when you decide which side of the street you're going to stay on.

Stick with the things you known about kmoney (internet gossip), leave profiling (judgment calls) to the people that actually LIVE life and deal with people on a regular basis.

bybee

You're walking down the street and on one side of the street you see a group of loud obnoxious white kids; smoking dope, hooting and howlering at people passing by.

The other side you see a group of black kids, well dressed, being courteous to others as they passed by, in fact you even saw some Bibles amongst them.

Be sure that you don't "profile" when you decide which side of the street you're going to stay on.

Stick with the things you known about kmoney (internet gossip), leave profiling (judgment calls) to the people that actually LIVE life and deal with people on a regular basis.

Everyone who contributes on this forum does so with the approval of the managers. We are all free to express ourselves, within the rules, as freely as possible.
It is not for you to tell the rest of us what we may or may not state in the process of explaining our view points.
You are tolerated by this management.
I concur with some of your statements.
BUT
Your method of delivery STINKS!

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Everyone who contributes on this forum does so with the approval of the managers. We are all free to express ourselves, within the rules, as freely as possible.
It is not for you to tell the rest of us what we may or may not state in the process of explaining our view points.
You are tolerated by this management.
I concur with some of your statements.
BUT
Your method of delivery STINKS!

I'll go with my "method of delivery" over your lame beliefs any day bybee.

bybee

The burkha is a statement of submission. That in and of itself isn't so bad. I submit to authority. The problem is when our Speaker of the House, the second most powerful person in government puts it on to go to a foreign country, that puts us under them.

I suppose she didn't want to run the risk of offending the extremists.
They are not respectors of persons.

Nydhogg

People are complex. They cannot be summarized for easy reference, like: "Conservatives are generally dense folks who excel at messing in other people's business."

Still, some generalizations are quite accurate.

bybee

People are complex. They cannot be summarized for easy reference, like: "Conservatives are generally dense folks who excel at messing in other people's business."

Be careful! We are all capable of pejorative generalizations! :think:

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned

I haven't seen you in awhile Nydhogg, how was drug rehab?

Oops, that would be stereotyping an unrepentant drug user and former meth addict.

My bad.

Nydhogg

Rehab doesn't typically last one week.

I had a frankly hard Networks exam (hard enough I had to actually study), and I was also replaying Dragon Age, with its expansions. :p.

Nydhogg

Be careful! We are all capable of pejorative generalizations! :think:

It was a joke!

Many conservatives are not dense, and there are a fair deal of conservatives with a libertarian bent.

There are also dense lib'rals, and a fair deal of liberals have an authoritarian bent.

We all know that. I was, in fact, criticizing prejudice :p.

bybee

It was a joke!

Many conservatives are not dense, and there are a fair deal of conservatives with a libertarian bent.

There are also dense lib'rals, and a fair deal of liberals have an authoritarian bent.

I know. Just couldn't resist a gentle nudge.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
It was a joke!

True conservatism doesn't have a libertarian "bent" to it.

bybee

I haven't seen you in awhile Nydhogg, how was drug rehab?

Oops, that would be stereotyping an unrepentant drug user and former meth addict.

My bad.

That would be making a "judgment" which God has forbidden you to do.
Oh well, now I shall have to start praying for you.

taikoo

The ones I know aren't Catholic.

The only one I know well is what she calls a "recovering catholic".

CIA factbook says

Roman Catholic 80.9%, Muslim 5%, Evangelical 2.8%, Iglesia ni Kristo 2.3%, Aglipayan 2%, other Christian 4.5%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.6%, none 0.1% (2000 census)

so if you bet consistently on the stereotype you will win a lot of money.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSeattleConserv
So judging is bad, PERIOD?

At the very least, being a busybody is.
Other people's habits and vices are none of your damn business.

Thanks for judging me doper.

Oh and by the way Nydhogg, your atheist buddy (formerly a Satanist) get's upset when you use the "d" word. Let's keep in clean in here for the sake of Granite's virgin ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.