toldailytopic: Generally speaking, are the stories in the Bible literal or symbolic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 27th, 2010 12:00 PM

toldailytopic: Generally speaking, are the stories in the Bible literal or symbolic?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Is it possible that Jesus was truly born in Bethlehem, and that He was speaking symbolically when he said you could tell a tree by it's fruit?

I think so. "Either/or" thinking is not a sound approach.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is it possible that Jesus was truly born in Bethlehem, and that He was speaking symbolically when he said you could tell a tree by it's fruit?

I think so. "Either/or" thinking is not a sound approach.
I changed the title of the tread to more accurately define the question I was getting at. Generally speaking are the stories in the Bible literal or symbolic?

Some folks believe the Bible is the literal word of God which also contains some symbolism. Other folks believe the Bible is a symbolic book that might contain a few literal stories.

Generally speaking how do you view the Bible?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Literal word of God that also contains some symbolism.

AMR

Buzzword

Generally speaking........it falls to individual interpretation and literary analysis when determining what one believes to be symbolic, and what one believes to be literal.

The easiest determining factor for symbolism for me in the Old Testament is:
Does this same kind of story appear in other cultures as a means of explaining a current condition, either of humanity or the world?

Examples:
Creation
the Flood
the Tower of Babel

The wording in these stories (no matter which translation you use) mirrors the word choice of similar stories in other myth systems, though the qualities that make them unique demonstrate the priorities of of the civilization in which they arose.

Almost every ancient civilization had a creation story.
Several middle-eastern cultures have worldwide flood stories.
Etc etc.

The early parts of Genesis seem to focus on "this is why things are the way they are," and thus use symbols and an unspoken "way back in time before any of us were around" to convey mystical explanations of the human condition, etc.
Plus these stories were handed down orally, so focusing on a few memorable symbols to aid in memorization (the talking snake, the forbidden fruit, the flood, the tower to heaven) makes sense.

On the other side, the wording of the stories of Abraham and his progeny, of Moses and the exodus, and of the kings of Israel and Judah read more like documentaries, presumably because the facts are the most important thing being recorded. "Who did what when" is more important in these accounts, especially as they describe interactions with God, than some kind of generation-spanning morality tale. Not to say morality doesn't play a big part in the Old Testament histories, but the focus is on showing how real individuals failed to live up to God's calling to be His people.

The Psalms, Proverbs, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Solomon are packed with symbols, but they serve different purposes.
Conjuring emotions, analogies, allegories, etc. are all potential uses for the symbols contained in these books, and it really comes down to each symbol's context as to what the author is trying to do.

For the New Testament, I don't treat any of the accounts of Jesus' life strictly as symbolism, though many of the events in the other gospels could be treated symbolically, even while believing them to be literal events, and John's gospel has a much more symbolic slant. He seems to have been trying to describe the larger truths surrounding Jesus and his life and ministry rather than writing a simple biography.

Acts reads like documentary, and the letters of Paul and the other apostles seem to be part instruction manual, part love letter, part philosophical treatise.
There is symbolism in the letters, but it is used to illustrate spiritual and moral points.

Revelation....sigh. Tonload of symbolism, especially involving the cultural symbols of the time. Given that one set of interpretations of the symbolism has already happened (the Roman Empire stuff) and that another set of interpretations has yet to happen, it remains to be seen how much of John's writing was literal (but limited to the vocabulary of the time) or symbolic (drawing on the emotions of the images rather than the images themselves).

Architect

If someone asked you.... how can you determine what is symbolic and what is literal? How would you respond?

I would respond by saying,

Why does it matter? The message is still the same. Whether literal or figurative, the point is that God has done everything so that we might come to know Him. Creation lasted 7 days... Creation lasted 7 million years... Adam was a real person. Adam was the personification of the likeness of God. If you spend too much time on these issues, you're missing the point.

I also agree that the Bible is the literal word of God, accentuated by symbolism.

Josh

Cracked

I would respond by saying,

Why does it matter? The message is still the same. Whether literal or figurative, the point is that God has done everything so that we might come to know Him. Creation lasted 7 days... Creation lasted 7 million years... Adam was a real person. Adam was the personification of the likeness of God. If you spend too much time on these issues, you're missing the point.

I also agree that the Bible is the literal word of God, accentuated by symbolism.

Josh

I have these thoughts from time to time as well. It may be interesting to debate the historicity of certain events, but how relevant is it? I suppose if you will only accept the gospel based on the inerrancy and unimpeachable historic and scientific accuracy of the Protestant Bible, then it is quite relevant to you.

elohiym

That would be my answer as well.

But it wasn't an answer. It is the literal word of God, but that is not saying all the stories are generally literal. Perhaps you meant they are all generally literal history with some symbolism. :idunno:

My answer is the Bible is a mix of literal history, parables, and symbolism. That's the only answer I can give without citing specific stories to clarify. For example, Revelation is clearly symbolism that reflects a literal past history and future events yet to unfold mixed with literal interpretation of those symbols within the same book.

If someone asked you.... how can you determine what is symbolic and what is literal? How would you respond?

Does a literal seven headed beast with a harlot on its back literally come out of literal water? In other words, the symbolism is usually obvious. And often the symbolism is interpreted within the writing. For example, regarding the harlot on the beast, the waters are said to represent "peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues" (Rev 17:15). For those symbols not interpreted for us, we can use the Bible to interpret the symbols because symbols are sometimes used repeatedly in the scriptures and the context gives rise to their meaning.

elohiym

It may be interesting to debate the historicity of certain events, but how relevant is it?

That depends on whether a false doctrine arises from a misinterpretation. For example, the doctrine of the immortality of the soul verses conditional immortality, a.k.a. the annihilation of the wicked souls.

Architect

I suppose if you will only accept the gospel based on the inerrancy and unimpeachable historic and scientific accuracy of the Protestant Bible, then it is quite relevant to you.

Maybe... But I'm under the notion that it is impossible to really accept the gospel based on historic/scientific proof. I think one can only truly accept the gospel through a personal relationship with Christ.

But it is relevant and interesting! Why else would I spend time on a theology forum than to discuss theology? :p I just think it's important to have a hierarchy of premises.

Josh

Seydlitz77

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 27th, 2010 12:00 PM

The stories or events are literal, though the accounts often do contain symbolism or can in themselves be symbolic.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I believe what I read to be literal, unless there is a compelling reason not to. I allow the Bible to interpret itself for the most part.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
That depends on whether a false doctrine arises from a misinterpretation. For example, the doctrine of the immortality of the soul verses conditional immortality, a.k.a. the annihilation of the wicked souls.

You don't need the Bible to understand the truth of the immortality of the soul. We have the philosophers. :idunno:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My standing response to questions like this is pretty much what ghost just wrote. I say: Take it literally unless the text demands otherwise.

So in eloyhim's example, for instance, the text demands that the harlot, etc., be representative of something else, because the text demands (by defining) it. But I will say that sometimes it's not quite so easy. In 2,000 years, if someone reads one of our writings and sees the phrase, "I'm gonna hit the hay", they may be confused. But then they may find out that it means "gonna go to bed". And even then, they may think we slept on hay. So when we're dealing with figures of speech, it can be hard sometimes.

I've mostly found that scripture defines scripture, even with idioms like that. But there are some times when I read a figure of speech and maybe I don't know it's a figure of speech. And I'm okay with that; I'd rather be wrong in taking an obscure figure of speech too literally, than be wrong by taking something that's supposed to be literal and relegating it to "figure of speech" status.

My 2 cents...

Randy

ghost

Hall of Fame
I'd rather be wrong in taking an obscure figure of speech too literally, than be wrong by taking something that's supposed to be literal and relegating it to "figure of speech" status.
:up: Believe God until He gives us a reason to do otherwise. :)

Psalm 91:4

"He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler."

I'd rather look like a naive child in heaven, having believed that God has feathers by which He protects and comforts me, than being cast from His presence because I appeared smart on earth teaching others that the rocks reveal a multi-million year old earth or dispute a global flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.