toldailytopic: Do you believe the government is taxing you too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 5th, 2010 10:58 AM

toldailytopic: Do you believe the government is taxing you too much?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:mad: This year they sure did............but this year put me into a tax bracket I'm not likely to ever see again. :think:

.....by and large no.

bybee

Well

Well

:mad: This year they sure did............but this year put me into a tax bracket I'm not likely to ever see again. :think:

.....by and large no.

Probably not. I still have a nice roof over my comfortable digs and plenty of food in the pantry! Just had a nice vacation. Able to help my children and grandchildren as well as some causes which I hold dear. I believe there is a lot of waste and pork-barrel spending but I enjoy being an American citizen and expect to pay my share. peace, bybee

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
I'm not sure if the government is taxing us too much, but conservatives consistently fail to realize that just reducing taxes as much as possible, getting rid of government programs to help the poor and deregulating business, although it sounds wonderful, actually would have catastrophic results for America.
Why ? Because this would greatly weaken or even destroy the safety net for the unfortunate.
Millions of poor, or out of work people, those with disabilities, the elderly,etc would be up the creek without a paddle.
A government has to have money to run a country.
Poverty and unemployment would increase exponentially. Millions of poor people would have their hopes of ever escaping their poverty dashed. More and more of the middle class would sink helplessly into poverty,while all the time the rich would just get richer.
Millions of young people would have their hopes of ever going to college,graduate or law school dashed.
And not only that, people who oppose abortion don't realize that this would cause the number of abortions to increase greatly.
Prosperity does not trickle down.It never has and it never will.
Does this make me a socilaist or communist ? Not at all.
It shows that I'm realistic .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you believe the government is taxing you too much?

No, I don't think the government is taxing you too much. Me? Well, that's another thing altogether. :plain:

nicholsmom

Yes. The evidence is in the state of our economy. When people, especially the wealthy, have less of their money to invest, then they won't invest it - in building and maintaining businesses, in hiring and keeping employees, in funding research, etc.

Don't get me wrong, taxes aren't solely responsible for our wretchedness, but they are a very large factor, and a simple one to remedy. Our government, if it wants to keep running as planned, must, must, must cut spending in mountain-moving ways and then cut taxes.

Have a look at history:
The economic situation in 1920 was grim. By that year unemployment had jumped from 4 percent to nearly 12 percent, and GNP declined 17 percent. No wonder, then, that Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover — falsely characterized as a supporter of laissez-faire economics — urged President Harding to consider an array of interventions to turn the economy around. Hoover was ignored.

Instead of "fiscal stimulus," Harding cut the government's budget nearly in half between 1920 and 1922. The rest of Harding's approach was equally laissez-faire. Tax rates were slashed for all income groups. The national debt was reduced by one-third.

The Federal Reserve's activity, moreover, was hardly noticeable. As one economic historian puts it, "Despite the severity of the contraction, the Fed did not move to use its powers to turn the money supply around and fight the contraction." By the late summer of 1921, signs of recovery were already visible. The following year, unemployment was back down to 6.7 percent and it was only 2.4 percent by 1923.​

What's even more interesting is that this article goes on to tell about a parallel depression in Japan, the outcome of which was very different.

zoo22

I don't have a simple yes/no. In terms of the way it's used, yes, I think it's too much because I think so much tax $ is being wasted. I would be okay with the amount if I didn't think there was so much wasteful government spending, and so little accountability.

Also, I look towards 1) income range %, 2) corporate taxes v individual taxes... But taxing ME too much? ... See above.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't have a simple yes/no. In terms of the way it's used, yes, I think it's too much because I think so much tax $ is being wasted. I would be okay with the amount if I didn't think there was so much wasteful government spending, and so little accountability.

Also, I look towards 1) income range %, 2) corporate taxes v individual taxes... But taxing ME too much? ... See above.

I use to be a liberal
it was easy
until you start paying taxes

Aner

The government is taxing the lower middle class too much (less than 100k/yr), they are taxing the singles too much (the singles tax penalty - while giving the marrieds a huge tax break) and they taxing the rich WAY TOO LITTLE.

This can easily be seen that as a single person my marginal rate is 28% whereas the highest rate among the uber rich is 35% - a mere 7% more despite the fact that the vast portion of my REMAINING income goes to a) more taxes (RE Prop taxes, Sales Taxes) and b) the rest of my survival needs whereas the vast majority of the rich'es taxes are used for their financial games to further enrich themselves at any cost.

I advocate returning to the tax rates under that great Republican president - Dwight D Eisenhower - 90% top marginal tax rate - extremely well managed budget....

Aner

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

if you are young
and
not a liberal, you have no heart
if you are old
and
not a conservative, you have no brain

Are you posting from a cell phone or something? I feel like I'm reading a haiku everytime I read one of your posts.

As for the OP -- yes, I'm being taxed way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.