toldailytopic: NDE: Near Death Experiences, what significance (if any) are such even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 29th, 2010 10:28 AM

toldailytopic: NDE: Near Death Experiences, what significance (if any) are such events?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
toldailytopic: NDE: Near Death Experiences, what significance (if any) are such events?

:think: I'd say the most significant thing is the near part...but that's just me. :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

:think: I'd say the most significant thing is the near part...but that's just me. :plain:
So what do you make of the visions, and the odd (yet very similar) experiences many people describe when they have a near death experience?

Adoration

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 29th, 2010 10:28 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I think these events are significant evidence that human life is contained in a soul, not a body.

elohiym

...the odd (yet very similar) experiences many people describe...

One possibility is that they are having similar physiological responses to the injuries that cause their temporary state of "death," i.e. the brain turns physiological responses to injury (dropping blood pressure, etc.) into visual images (walking through tunnel towards white light, etc.).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So what do you make of the visions, and the odd (yet very similar) experiences many people describe when they have a near death experience?

For the most part I'm inclined to believe it's a physiological impression of the system shutting down impacting the mind. You'd expect a certain commonality in that respect. Maybe the mind's response to dying is something like it's response to outside stimuli during sleep. Ever had an alarm work itself into your dream state?

Looks as though Elo is on the same track. :eek: Didn't read through the posts before answering.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One possibility is that they are having similar physiological responses to the injuries that cause their temporary state of "death," i.e. the brain turns physiological responses to injury (dropping blood pressure, etc.) into visual images (walking through tunnel towards white light, etc.).

For the most part I'm inclined to believe it's a physiological impression of the system shutting down impacting the mind. You'd expect a certain commonality in that respect. Maybe the mind's response to dying is something like it's response to outside stimuli during sleep. Ever had an alarm work itself into your dream state?

Looks as though Elo is on the same track. :eek: Didn't read through the posts before answering.
I agree with both of you.

Now... in light of that... what can we learn from NDE's

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

For the most part, you are correct.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I agree with both of you.

Now... in light of that... what can we learn from NDE's

More about the brain than the soul. I do not believe God allows people to peek. No substitute for faith, it is just another human attempt to prove life after death without faith, I'm not buying it.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
My heart stopped once, years ago when I was in the hospital being treated for an infection.

I remember falling asleep, starting to dream, then waking up tied to the bed on a ventilator.

Didn't get any of the visions that you normally hear about people getting. Honestly I think such visions are the brain hallucinating due to a lack of blood/oxygen. You probly just see what you want to see.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My heart stopped once, years ago when I was in the hospital being treated for an infection.

I remember falling asleep, starting to dream, then waking up tied to the bed on a ventilator.

Didn't get any of the visions that you normally hear about people getting. Honestly I think such visions are the brain hallucinating due to a lack of blood/oxygen. You probly just see what you want to see.

Oh, you are getting cold peewee!

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
continous experience of life.............

continous experience of life.............

~*~*~

Ample is shared and elaborated here, for your researching pleasure :)

NDE's and the Afterlife

When looking at all the data, it implies its own significance, namely the continuation of consciousness 'outside' the physical brain/body, for many are pronounced 'dead' for some time, while they have their 'experience', then remember returning to their body. NDE's have their own contextual definitions/implications...while general research on the Afterlife, spirit-communication, religious philosophy, inspired writings, and man's own intuition adds to his sense that life does continue in some form beyond this physical dimension.

This touches all fields of science, metaphysics, religion and philosophy about the nature of 'energy' and 'consciousness', add further the concept of 'immortality'. Such expressly proves the principles of Spiritualism, particularly the universal laws of soul-progress and continuation of life in the spirit-world.

pj

andyc

Near death experiences maybe nothing more than a dream, but an actual death experience where the spirit leaves the body, will be genuine (James 2:26).
It shouldn't seem unnatural for a Christian to temporarily enter heaven for a while if they have prematurely died before their time (from God's perspective). As Ktoyou pointed out, experiences like this shouldn't be a substitute for faith to those having the experience, as well as those who hear such testimonies.
Paul and John both went to heaven, and Paul stated that he wasn't sure if his experience was an out of body experience (2Cor 12:2).

Absent from the body, present with the Lord. I see nohing unscriptural about a temporal absence from the body, present with the Lord. The danger is "pride". If anyone would feel self important over such an experience, the experience itself would be counterproductive. This is why Paul said, "I know a man who.....". He didn't want people to think more of him because of his experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.