ECT The Calvinist 5 Solas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
But when HE passes them over they are not guilty because supposedly they are not yet created and a figment of GOD's imagination cannot sin.
Calvinists believe that you were created evil. That you were born guilty and deserving of God's wrath and that God didn't simply infallibly know that you would exist but planned, predestined, ordained and made you to be exact whatever it is you are.

They were chosen to end in hell before GOD made them sinners or they sinned by choice, ie, while innocent, real innocence if alive, or figurative if not yet created.
The Calvinist delusion is like when you stand between two mirrors and the reflection goes deeper and deeper into infinity. You cannot plumb the depths of the insanity that is Calvinism.

There was no "before" in the Calvinist system. The Calvinists do not believe that there was ever a time when God did not know all this nonsense. God, according to them, cannot change - period. God didn't figure this stuff out, He didn't "decide" to do it in the sense that you and I decide. It was always - ALWAYS - in the mind of God for every evil person to perform every evil act that has ever been or that ever will be performed. There is no sequence of action in their god. Their god is unhcanging, unchangable and perfectly static. God did not plan then decide, then predestine, then ordain, etc. All of that was in their god and remains in their god and forever will be in their god's mind. Their god is so totally "transcendant" that vertually every word they say about him is some form or another of anthropromorphism.

Clete

Last edited:

Dialogos

This quote was in response to my post:
GOD did the forbidding or denying their election and those not elected are those forbidden or denied election.
This seems like a particularly laborious way to say, "God didn't elect them."

ttruscott said:
This non-sequitur is meaningless in this context. I am speaking of GOD and HIS creation, not multiple gods which I most vehemently reject. If this is an anti-Trinity shot, it is misplaced.
No accusations intended. But your reasoning contains a hidden premise that even you reject.
God's election is based on his own counsel and will. He is not beholden to act in accordance with the principles of any other being in election. Therefore no one is in a position to call God's judgment into question.

ttruscott said:
I mean that if there was nothing found in them that made it impossible for GOD to elect them, that is, if their reprobation was without a condition found in them, then they were as perfect a candidate for election as those who were elected...there was no difference between them.
Two huge problems here. The first is that God is not obligated to elect any of those it was "possible" to elect. For God, it was "possible" to show mercy on whomever He so chose. The second is that God has already spoken and told the world that there are no perfect candidates for election. In fact, 0% of the candidates were qualified. God didn't elect on merit.

ttruscott said:
We are talking about there being NO condition for their reprobation.
You seem to be assuming equal ultimacy here.

I quote again
...so if there was no condition for their reprobation, who do you think defines their reprobation? GOD of course...there is no one else. The doctrine of UNconditional reprobation claims there IS no criteria.
What defines their reprobation is the fact that they weren't elected unto salvation.
Reprobation is the other side of election. God chooses to save some sinners from the just consequences of their sin and to leave others to the just consequences of their sin. God did all of this beforehand.

ttruscott said:
My conclusions in this topic are derived from Calvinist doctrine that reprobation is unconditional as a logical extension of that reprehensible doctrine that innocents, ie, those NOT judged to be guilty of anything are chosen to be passed over for election.
You are assuming that God reprobated some to damnation in the same way that he elected some to salvation, in other words, you are disputing equal ultimacy.
If so, then we agree.

Dialogos

Calvinists believe that you were created evil. That you were born guilty and deserving of God's wrath and that God didn't simply infallibly know that you would exist but planned, predestined, ordained and made you to be exact whatever it is you are.
Pretty close.
God certainly decreed that we would all be born into the corrupt nature of a fallen Adam. There are no "immaculate conceptions" that Calvinism tolerates, if that's what you mean, we all pretty well believe that everyone born of the seed of man has inherited our first father's corruption. The only Person to be born sinless was the virgin born Lord Jesus.

Do you think you were born sinless, like Jesus, Clete?

The rest is pretty spot on. Which of those do you dispute?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Pretty close.
No, it isn't "pretty close".

You need to just sit back, read my posts and learn your own doctrine.

God certainly decreed that we would all be born into the corrupt nature of a fallen Adam. There are no "immaculate conceptions" that Calvinism tolerates, if that's what you mean, we all pretty well believe that everyone born of the seed of man has inherited our first father's corruption. The only Person to be born sinless was the virgin born Lord Jesus.

Do you think you were born sinless, like Jesus, Clete?
I was born with the flesh but God does not hold me (or anyone else) accountable for sin that I have not committed myself. Jesus' death accomplished that much for every soul that lives (Ezekiel 18; Romans 5:19)

Further, the bible speaks of a time before a child knows "to refuse the evil and choose the good" (Isaiah 7:16) and also when the whole nation of Israel died in the wilderness, it was their children, who "did not have the knowledge of good and evil" (Deuteronomy 1:39), who entered the promise land which refers to the fact that Israel had not circumcised their children while in the desert. Circumcision is a symbol of the law, as is the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Thus, they were, in effect, not under the law and where there is no law, sin is not imputed (Romans 5:13). Therefore, before the age of accountability, God does not count us as evil, reprobate, unsaved or whatever.

The doctrine of original sin is unjust, unrighteous, unbiblical, heretical, blasphemous and false!

The rest is pretty spot on. Which of those do you dispute?
All of it is spot on, diaologos. You simply do not know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

“Believes” (πιστευων) is a present participle and “has been born” (γεγεννται) is a perfect tense verb. Therefore everyone who is currently believing is done being born again regardless of when that “believing” is. They have been born again unto belief.

The Greek "present" tense only reveals that the believing is ongoing. It doesn't indicate when the believing started. And there is nothing which forbids the idea that the believing started at the time when a person is born again. In fact, the following two passages demonstrate in no uncertain terms that the new birth happens as a result of believing:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23).​

Life comes as a result of believing and not prior to believing.

I understand that the present tense talks about ongoing action. I don’t deny that. 1 John 5:1 says that whoever is “presently” believing – regardless of when that believing started - the selfsame person has “already been” born again (in the sense of logical priority).

Here John makes it plain that "life" comes as a result of believing, and not prior to believing:

"Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name"
(Jn.20:30-31).​

In verse 31 the Greek word translated "that" is hina and it means "a Final conjunction...denoting purpose and end,to the intent that, to the end that, in order that..." (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

The "purpose" of believing is that you may have life.

Now let us look again at this passage:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God"
(Jn.1:11-13).​

Those who "believed" in His name were given the right to become children of God. And in order to become the children of God one must be born of God. So those who received Him were born of God as a result of their faith. They were not born of God prior to believing. You said:

Note, however, the verse is clear that they weren’t born by the “will of man” which you must ignore (and assume the opposite) to make the verse work to support your theology. According to the verse you just cited, the “will of man” has absolutely nothing to do with our being born again. You must believe that man wills to believe unto being born again in direct contradiction to the verse you just cited.

Believing something has nothing to do with a person's will. Instead, what a person believes is based on the "evidence" which he has at his disposal on any given subject. Biblical faith is described in the following way:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Heb.11:1).​

No matter how hard you try you will find that it is impossible to believe something which is contradicted by the "evidence." You cannot will yourself to believe that five plus five is anything but ten. So a person's will plays no part in believing the gospel. And the gospel is true and it comes in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance"
(1 Thess.1:5).​

The gospel itself provides the "evidence" that it is true and everyone should believe the gospel but some people "resist the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51) and they don't believe. But the evidence is there because it comes with much assurance and in power and in the Holy Spirit.

I completely agree that no one even knows what the gospel is until they are shown, from the scriptures. Nevertheless, your interpretation ends up being that Satan blinds the minds of unbelievers from seeing the light of the gospel and the solution is sharing the gospel.
What you are describing is like man with 20/20 vision giving a blind man directions by pointing to relevant landmarks on a map. 2 Cor 4:4 says that they are blinded from the light of the gospel so even if they see it, from the scriptures, they are still blinded...God must “shine in our hearts” to give us the “light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

He does that by the gospel which comes in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit. Paul explains that his preaching was in demonstration of the Spirit of power so that a person's faith will stand in the power of God:

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That (hina) your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God"
(1 Cor.2:4-5).​

Here Paul is describing his preaching, and he is obviously speaking of the gospel which comes in the Spirit and in power. Then we see the word hina again, meaning that it is the gospel which results in a person's faith. But the Calvinists teach that faith is a gift which he gives to some people but not all.

Now I have a question for you. What kind of "life" does a person receives when he is made "alive together with Christ (Eph.2:5)?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm not doing much editing on this monstrosity. It's too long. No one is going to read it anyway.

And that would be because the alternative is to locate the basis for God’s choosing in man’s merit or man’s effort. Which is exactly what I said.
No it isn't! You implied that I took those quotes out of context! Implying that Calvin did not teach what those quotes made it seem like he taught!

As for why God would choose one person over another, why not believe what the bible says and understand that God chooses to save those who respond to Him in faith?

I'll tell you why, because you theology cannot survive that one single, incredibly simple idea!

That’s really the crux of Calvin’s argument. I find it amusing that you would continue to quote from authors who would, in no way, agree that God’s sovereign election is “arbitrary” and then accuse me of lying about what any of them said.
They all - all of them - including you believe that "God’s sovereign election" is “arbitrary”! You just got through admitting as much one sentence ago!

Very few, in fact only one that I've ever encountered, are willing to state it in those terms but as I've pointed out before, their unwillingness to do so is just so much double talk. At the end of the day, they believe and will affirm that God did not choose who to predestine to heaven or hell because of any reason other than that that's what He chose. He chose because He chose and that's it. There's no assigning any reason to His choice whatsoever.

Calvin didn’t think God’s election was arbitrary. Neither did Pink or Sproul. R. Scott Clark doesn’t, would you like me to confirm that? They all agree on some key concepts. Among them are the notion that God’s election is based solely on his own wisdom and counsel, and solely for His own glory. That’s for sure, and I agree with them. That’s not the same as “arbitrary.” In, fact, the only way God would escape your charge of being “arbitrary” would be not to “elect” at all.
Saying it doesn't make it so, dialogos!

I've got direct quotes and decades of experience. You've got claims and wishful thinking.

“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

It is time to be honest, Clete.

I see very little reason for you to continue to plug your quarters into the Calvinist quote machine as if anyone is impressed by your ability to use a search engine. If God's election is “personal” (meaning God chooses individuals for any reason) then God is being arbitrary in your view, isn’t He?
That's what the word "arbitrary" means but you imply an argument that I have not made. Once again, you are tacitly forcing a Calvinistic mindset into my brain that isn't there.

"God's election", in your meaning of the phrase, does not exist. God did not choose anyone before they existed.

You subscribe to the corporate predestination bucket theory. I’ve heard that analogy more than once. It goes like this…

“You see, it’s like God has a bucket called the “body of Christ…”

Nobody who ever read any of the passages in the Bible concerning predestination or election would get the “bucket theory” out of the text, you must import it into the text. The Bible explicitly says God predestines “individuals.”
You are delusional!

Proof?

Show me one passage where the Bible explicitly says God predestines “individuals.”

It doesn't exist and you had to know that when you typed this and yet you post it anyway citing a verse that flat out does not explicitly say that God predestines “individuals.”

Delusional!

God didn’t hand Jesus an empty bucket with a message written on it in sharpie that says, “the body of Christ.”
Jesus is crystal clear here, there are individuals who belong to Him and individuals who do not. Those who do will come to Him and those who don’t will not. I know you’ll try to dance like a ballerino around this passage but the word doesn’t change for your dancing.
You'd be funny if this were so astoundingly stupid.

The passage means what it says and doesn't contradict my doctrine in the least. I can no longer tell whether it’s just simple stupidity or a genuine mental disorder. Either way, I have no dancing to do.

You have direct quotes…that don’t claim God’s election is arbitrary.
Saying it doesn't make it so.

Calvinists and Arminians alike consider the open view to be heretical because it contradicts fundamental aspects of God’s character, namely, His Omniscience and in most cases, His Sovereignty.
Both of those doctrines are logically based upon the premise that God is immutable, which both Calvinists and Arminians affirm. Of the two, Calvinists are the more logically consistent but the incarnation, the very gospel itself, defeats them both in one stroke.

You mean, he will tell me that Numbers 23:19, Psalm 102:25-28, Malachi 3:6 and Isaiah 46:10 are all true and not in contradiction to the passages where God condescends to reveal His ability to be impassioned?
Among other things, yes. He’ll pull out every proof text that Calvinist typically use and then if you argue too loudly for too long, he will remove you.

I understand that some Calvinists do. And I would agree with them wholeheartedly on the question of God’s immutability. Depending on how one defines “impassibility” I might find some disagreement with the fine folks at CRTA and would certainly disagree with you on your own understanding of impassibility.
It isn’t “my understanding”. The word means what it means and Calvinist intend it to mean its normal definition. They do not believe that God’s state of mind can change. It’s just stupidity for you to even be challenging that! They flat out believe that and if you don’t, I’m here to tell you that you have taken the first step in a direction that will lead you to drop the entire system!

The whole thing from top to bottom is based on God’s utter and absolute immutability as defined and argued by PLATO!!! Any wiggle room you give, whether it be in regards to God’s state of mind or not, implies, in the mind’s of consistent Calvinists, that God is imperfect in whatever area you allowed the wiggle room to exist because, in the mind’s, any alteration of the perfect must be an alteration for the worse, which God cannot be forced to permit and would not be willing to allow.

I’ve heard this argument before and it issues from a false premise. Namely, that if Plato said it, it must be wrong since Plato was a pagan and all. Apply the same standard to your own theology and the Open View takes a tumble as well. The pagan deities were constantly changing their minds and they moved through time with humanity. They were constantly learning, changing and sometimes surprised by the antics of humanity. Just read the Odyssey and see how Zeus interacts with Odysseus. If Calvinism falls for its similarity with Plato’s view of immutability then the Open View fails for its similarity with the Greek mythology.
I have made no such argument!

Good grief you Calvinists can’t follow even the simplest of reasoning.

First of all, the Calvinist doctrine is not “similar” to Plato’s immutability, it is identical to it! More importantly, I do not, nor does any Open Theist, argue that immutability is wrong because Plato believed it. Plato believe a lot of things that were entirely true! Plato believed that god exists. Plato believed that water was wet and that the sky is blue and that people are born and die and ten thousand other things that were and are entirely true!

So, the argument isn’t that immutability is false because Plato believed it. We simply are pointing out, quite correctly, that the origin of the doctrine is not the bible but rather Aristotle and Plato. Calvinists are huge on the idea of sola scriptura and so the historically demonstrable fact that this doctrine originated with Greek paganism, aught to cause them to rethink the doctrine and reexamine whether there is any biblical basis for it but they do not. They cannot read even the first page of the book of John without Plato’s ideas being crushed into powder and yet they persist, not only in believing the doctrine, but also in reciting Plato’s own arguments (verbatim) in defense of it.

These arguments from analogy aside, it simply doesn’t matter what the pagan Greeks said, it matters what the word of God says.
YOU!

YES YOU!!!

Made PLATO’S exact argument on this very thread! You brought it up before I did!
The bible doesn’t say that the perfect cannot change, Plato said that!

And the Bible describes our God Who is perfect in all of His ways and does not change in His nature, goodness, being, power holiness, justice or truth.
This is one sentence with which I completely agree! (Depending on just what you mean by the word “nature”).

It also says that God experiences emotions and it is clear that sometimes the Word uses anthropomorphic language to describe God’s disposition.
The consistent Calvinist assumes that any passage that discusses God becoming anything is a figure of speech. Whether it’s becoming angry or becoming flesh. The text doesn’t mean that God actually became anything, there’s just no other way for the text to describe what happened that our puny little human mind’s can understand.

And the only reason – THE ONLY REASON - that they jump through such convoluted intellectual hoops is to preserve the idea that the perfect cannot change in any way whatsoever just as Plato argued 300 years before God the Son BECAME the Son of Man.

There is really no need to pit those verses against the other, clear, verses of scripture that speak of God’s perfect, unchanging nature, His unchanging character, and His unswerving plan and purpose.
God Himself states that His plans change and that if He says He’ll do something to or for some person or group but then that person or group either does evil or repents of evil then He will repent and not do that which He said He would do. There is at least one whole book of the bible dedicated to one specific instance of God doing exactly that which states explicitly that God did not do that which He thought to do.

Jonah 3:10 Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

Jeremiah 18:8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will repent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it.​

In Isaiah we read about God expecting one thing and getting another…

5 Now let me sing to my Well-beloved
A song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard:
My Well-beloved has a vineyard
On a very fruitful hill.
2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones,
And planted it with the choicest vine.
He built a tower in its midst,
And also made a winepress in it;
So He expected it to bring forth good grapes,
But it brought forth wild grapes.
3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
Judge, please, between Me and My vineyard.
4 What more could have been done to My vineyard
That I have not done in it?
Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes,
Did it bring forth wild grapes?​
Reasoning from the scriptures is the only kind of reasoning with which I am concerned.
I have no doubt that you believe this to be the case but it isn’t so.

You’d not be a Calvinist at all if it were true. Although, based on what you’ve said in this thread, I’d say you’re a lot closer to not being a Calvinist than you think you are.

God clearly experiences emotion and also, clearly, does not change in His nature, character, goodness, plan or purpose. That stance may not be Calvinist enough for you… I don’t care.
Well, you should care. Not because of me but because one aught to desire to have a logically consistent theological worldview.
I’m not just being snide when I say that you don’t get to pick and choose. I mean, you could just pick and choose if you decided you wanted to but then why bother debating it? If you’re going to just cherry pick what you’re doctrines are then what are you doing on a debate forum and on what basis would you believe you have grounds to find fault with anyone else’s cherry picking?

The point here is that it matters! It matters a lot! Ideas have consequences and neither of our personal opinions have anything to do with it.
Quite to the contrary. I was saved in an Acts 2 dispy Arminian church. I spent some time studying from a mid-acts dispy church pastor. I come by my commitment to the 5 points not by being instructed to embrace them but by my observations that you can’t escape the sovereign election of God in the Bible. I got tired of doing the parkour version of exegesis where I jumped and flipped around certain passages rather than just accept what they said.

Passages like John 6 and Romans 8 are ones I'm speaking of, passages which you have already demonstrated a remarkable facility to avoid the obvious conclusions.

You can bandy about your philosophy all day to your heart’s content but when you open the word you find the notion inescapable.
You forget that this isn’t my first trip around this particular barn.

There isn’t one syllable of Calvinism’s distinctive doctrines in the bible. You cannot see them there unless and until you bring them with you to the text in an a priori fashion. This is the way Ambrose taught Augustine to do it and that’s the way everyone has done it ever since, including you.

Not that I doubt you grew up in a half way descent church, I’m sure you did but you believe Calvinism because someone taught it to you.

Now, regarding my comment on Dahmer you said:

Of course not. But whether you like it, or you don’t, there is not a Christian theological framework that does not, in the end, claim that all that happens is either part of God’s active or permissive will.
This is flatly false and down right blasphemous! Not everyone thinks like a Calvinist, dialogos!

I could prevent my daughter from ever getting a speeding ticket by making it impossible for her to drive. Does that make her speeding part of my “permissive” will?

Of course not!

The entire concept of “permissive will” is a giant fallacy anyway. At the very least it’s probably the most flagrant category error in the history of philosophy and that’s if you’re not a Calvinist and buy into this idiotic notion. If you’re a Calvinist, it’s far worse. God’s “permissive will” vs. His “perfect will” is either a distinction without a difference in which every item in one is also in the other or else the Calvinist is forced to admit that God’s will is compartmentalized with one section that is imperfect by definition, which destroys the entire Calvinist construct.

Which is it for you?

Everyone, to some extent, is a determinist. Either God:
1. Determines that it will happen beforehand, or
2. knows that it will happen beforehand and determines to allow it, or
3. knows, beforehand, that it could happen and is determined not to do anything to preclude the possibility, or at the very least..
4. sees it happening and determines in the moment to do nothing to stop it despite being fully capable of so doing.
You are not a Christian. That is to say that there is no way that you could possibly be saved. You believe God is unjust. You believe that you are smarter than God! Worse than that, you believe that you are wiser than God! You DO believe that! You don’t like the sound of it so you choose, yes I said you CHOOSE, to believe that since your sensibilities and your great wisdom has decided that you can’t live with a God who choose to allow evil to persist, that He therefore determined in advance that it would happen.

You disgust me!

There are certainly permutations of all four of these but you get the idea. Even the open view must confess that God “determines” all that occurs.
Fool!

When your argument, like a boomerang, comes right back around and knocks you in the head, you know it’s a faulty argument.
You are arguing against yourself!

Not everyone thinks like a Calvinistic fool that thinks they’ve outsmarted their Creator.

Where do you get this stuff?
I quoted you own words!

There was a typo in there though that I later fixed but not before you started typing your response to my post.
What you read and responded to was:
“So, according to you, the mind of God is separate from the mind of God;...“
What I intended to say was:
“So, according to you, the mind of God is separate from the heart of God; ...“
The rest of what I said made it clear what I meant but still, the typo deserves to be pointed out.

I’m going to just ignore most of the blasphemy you spout in defense against the plain reading of not just scripture but God’s very own words. Suffice it to say that God Himself with His own words through the profit Jeremiah said, “I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination”. In fact, the point is made twice! Once in Jeremiah 18 and then again in Jeremiah 32.

You can play around all you like but that isn’t just a righteous person telling someone that God didn’t command it. No! Those are GOD’S OWN WORDS that He spoke Himself!

Do you suppose that He was lying?

My argument is that there are, at the very least, things that man does that God does not desire but nevertheless determines to permit.
And once again, God’s heart is separate from His mind. Or put in terms that you’ll get; God’s “perfect will” is separate from His “permissive will” and He therefore predestined things that were contrary to His perfect will.

Your brain is so self-conflicted, how are your eyes not crossed?

My argument is in contrast to yours.
Is in conflict with scripture blasphemous.

Let’s talk about predestination, shall we?
No. I’d rather not, actually.

I won’t be typing up another one of these marathon posts. It isn’t worth my time to spend three days typing one post. It would have been more had I not just blown off the rest.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Dialogos said:
There are no innocents who have been reprobated.
Theo-babble. The doctrine of unconditional reprobation says that at the time they were reprobated they had done no sin nor were they reprobate for any sin they might do...UNconditional reprobation means they were innocent of sin in GOD's estimation and you know it.

BUT: IF THEY WERE NOT INNOCENT AND THEREFORE GUILTY as you now insist, then there was a reason for their reprobation, their guilt, and it was not UNconditional reprobation at all. This also gives reason for the conditional election of the elect in that they were NOT guilty of the sin that caused the reprobation of the others.

Is this a super great point or what?! Just brilliant!

It had never occured to me that the Calvinist system ingnores the fact that if a person is not guilty then they are innocent. There is no neutral middle ground.

:BRAVO::first::BRAVO:

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Isaiah 45:9-12

A reference to Jeremiah 18 where Israel is the clay. Not specific individuals but a nation!

Jeremiah 18 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel!​

The passage continues and says that God repents...

Jeremiah 18:7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will repent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will repent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.​

And even if you wanted to extend the principle to individuals, which you can do to a degree because God is working toward conforming us to the image of His Son, it still wouldn't apply here because the one we're contending with is you! You are not God, Nang! Disagreeing with you doesn't equate with contending with God. You Calvinists are just a little to big for your own britches.

Clete

ttruscott

This seems like a particularly laborious way to say, "God didn't elect them."

I believe the Bible teaches our election- I just deny it was for no reason, no condition. Therefore I say my belief is in Merited election and UNmerited salvation.

ttruscott

God's election is based on his own counsel and will. He is not beholden to act in accordance with the principles of any other being in election.
Since when is it proven that HIS counsel and will CANNOT include the opinions and choices of others?? I believe Gen 18 proves the opposite when GOD dickers with Abraham...

ttruscott

Two huge problems here. The first is that God is not obligated to elect any of those it was "possible" to elect. For God, it was "possible" to show mercy on whomever He so chose. The second is that God has already spoken and told the world that there are no perfect candidates for election. In fact, 0% of the candidates were qualified. God didn't elect on merit.
???

1. We were elected before the foundation of the world, so how did GOD announce to the world there were no perfect candidates for election?

2. There were elect angels and non-elect angels before the foundation of the world so how can it be that there were no perfect candidates for election?

3. IF there was no merit to for election then there could have been no dismerit against election, ie, no condition was found in those passed over for election to cause their non-election. IF there was a dismerit then the elect had the merit in not having the dismerit of those passed over. Therefore non-election had no dismerit, ie, no one was evil or had another disqualifying factor so they were innocent !! when they were passed over for election. UNconditional election forces us to accept that INNOCENT people were passed over for election and thus salvation, to end in hell for no reason.

This is unbelievable and seriously corrupts HIS character as loving, righteous and just. In other words, it is a blasphemy.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Calvinists believe that you were created evil.

Wrong. Calvinist’s believe man was created good.

You do not truthfully debate Calvinism. You simply misrepresent their beliefs in hateful ignorance.

Very similar to Satan’s tactics being deployed in the current global political situation!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I didn't say "man", I said, "you"!

But even at that, Calvinists believe that Adam's fall was unavoidably, immutably and infallibly planned, predestined and ordained by God Himself! They believe that Adam could not have done otherwise and that, as B57 is actively arguing in another thread, that Adam's fall - that sin - was necessary for God's glory and there are other Calvinists who have said "Amen brother" a dozen or more times in response to his blasphemy.

“The first man fell because the Lord deemed it meet that he should.” - John Calvin - Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III, Ch. 23, Sect. 8

“I freely acknowledge my doctrine to be this: that Adam fell, not only by the permission of God, but by His very secret, the counsil and decree …” - John Calvin - On the Secret Providence of God, 267

“God not only foresaw the fall of the first man, and in him the ruin of his posterity; but also at his own pleasure arranged it.” - John Calvin - Institutes of the Christian Religion, Ch. 23, Sect. 7

“I again ask how it is that the fall of Adam involves so many nations with their infant children in eternal death without remedy unless that it so seemed meet to God? Here the most loquacious tongues must be dumb. The decree, I admit, is, dreadful; and yet it is impossible to deny that God foreknew what the end of man was to be before he made him, and foreknew, because he had so ordained by his decree.” - John Calvin - Institutes of the Christian Religion, Ch. 23, Sect. 7​

You do not truthfully debate Calvinism.
Of course I do. If I didn't, I couldn't have won every debate you've ever engaged me in.

Besides, I quote and cite original sources and use your own words! One of the propositions that I've proven false in this very thread is quoted in your own signature line!

You simply misrepresent their beliefs in hateful ignorance.
It is you who hate me. That't the reason you're even on this website, Nang.

I don't misrepresent a thing. I quote YOUR OWN WORDS and then ask you questions based on what you yourself have said and then you never answer the question!

Instead, you wait a week or more until you think everyone has forgotten and then show up, often on a different thread, to accuse me of lying.

Very similar to Satan’s tactics being deployed in the current global political situation!
And this is when you know you've crushed a Calvinist. When you've made arguments that they have NO ANSWER for, they start accusing you of being Satan's mouth piece.

In our exchange on another thread you said...

Nang said:
God the Father didn't and God the Holy Spirit didn't. Only God the Son became flesh and died and resurrected to glory.
To which I responded by asking the following question...

Are you saying that the second person of the Trinity is mutable (i.e. NOT immutable)?​

You have yet to respond and you aren't at all likely to ever respond because you can't! You are trapped by your own words into either saying that the Logos of God is mutable, which disintegrates Calvinism into dust or that He didn't become flesh which is antichrist!

Instead, in typical double talking Calvinist fashion, you will choose neither while saying you accept both!
You will dismiss the argument out of your mind and try your best to forget that it was ever made and hope that your allegiance to a self-conflicted doctrine over the plain reading of God's own word will be overlooked on Judgment Day.

Clete

ttruscott

Adam and Eve only, right? By using them without explaining that you really mean by man is only them, you hide the fact that our being PUT in them to inherit their sinfulness and degradation is OUR creation in sin as evil sinners. YOU in Clete's quote refers to you yourself, no? so changing it to (a) man, (not even mankind as Adam means), would seem to be misdirection.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Adam and Eve only, right? By using them without explaining that you really mean by man is only them, you hide the fact that our being PUT in them to inherit their sinfulness and degradation is OUR creation in sin as evil sinners. YOU in Clete's quote refers to you yourself, no? so changing it to (a) man, (not even mankind as Adam means), would seem to be misdirection.

Adam was created good, and was made federal head (legal representative) of the entire human race, just as surely as Jesus Christ is federal head of His spiritual church body. I Corinthians 15:45-49

When the first Adam sinned, all men were judged guilty "sinners" by God and sentenced to death. Romans 5:14-19

When the last Adam, Jesus Christ resurrected from death, His regenerated church body was assured of their own bodily resurrection to everlasting life in Him. Romans 5:19-21

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
In our exchange on another thread you said...

To which I responded by asking the following question...

Are you saying that the second person of the Trinity is mutable (i.e. NOT immutable)?​

You have yet to respond and you aren't at all likely to ever respond because you can't! You are trapped by your own words into either saying that the Logos of God is mutable, which disintegrates Calvinism into dust or that He didn't become flesh which is antichrist!

I believe Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is immutable because He IS the Logos.

Are you implying that Jesus Christ has not eternally possessed a body? That He is different now than when He created the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.