ECT Did the "Eternal Word" merge with a newly created human mind, will, and emotions?

Jason0047

Did the "Eternal Word" merge with a newly created human mind, will, and emotions?

Important Note:

I have been away for a while. For those of you who do not know me, I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is divinely inspired perfect Word of God (with no errors). I believe in the Trinity and I believe Jesus died and was risen again on my behalf for salvation through faith by God's Word (the Bible) alone. I believe Jesus had a real physical flesh and blood body (Whose shed blood washed away my sins). I also want to say that we as Christians do look through a glass darkly and Scripture is not exactly clear on certain things.

Did the "Eternal Word" merge with a newly created human mind, will, and emotions?

I believe the most likely explanation is that Jesus had a divine soul only, and that His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to have all knowledge) was suppressed.

Why do I believe this? Was it because of some creed or church told me to believe this way? No. Most surely not. It is purely based on what I have come to know the Scriptures say and by logic, and knowing the love of God, and His good ways.

So here are the verses for you to consider (Which is my preferred explanation on understanding Christ's divine and human behavior expressed in Scripture):

#1. Hebrews 7:26 - "For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;"

Jesus is holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners. He was made higher than the heavens. He became us (in the fact that he had a flesh and blood body), but he was holy. A person or being who is truly holy, harmless, undefiled and separate from sinners does not have the capacity to sin. Some say that Jesus had a human nature whereby He had the ability to potentially do evil. This means that in order to do evil or sin, one must have lusts or bad desires within them in order to carry out or act upon those wrong desires or lusts. Yet, the Bible says he was holy, undefiled and separate from sinners.

#2. 1 John 2:16 - "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

This verse states that the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." (John 10:30).

So if Jesus is truly one with the Father (and He is), then Jesus cannot also have any lusts of the flesh, or lusts of the eyes, or the pride of life. These things are of the world. In fact, the devil tried to offer Jesus the kingdoms of this world, but He refused his offer.

#3. Micah 5:2 - "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting."

This is a Messianic prophecy that talks about how Jesus will be a ruler over Israel one day. It says that the origin of this ruler (Jesus) is from of old, from everlasting. Alternatively however if Jesus had a human soul or human mind, it suggests that Jesus was a newly created being that did not exist before the Incarnation. He would not have technically existed from everlasting if he joined with a newly created human counterpart in the Incarnation. The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. His origins are from everlasting in the fact that He is the eternal Living Word (or the Word of God as Revelation says). Jesus. He always existed. This presents a problem for Hypostatic Union (HU).

#4. 1 John 4:2 - "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God."

It's a pretty fair conclusion to make that Jesus was unlike us. He was unique. This verse is not saying that he was like us. This verse does not say after he came into the flesh he became known as the man called, Jesus Christ. That is not what we are to confess. We are to confess that Jesus Christ is COME in the flesh. What this verse is suggesting (like other verses) is that Jesus Christ has always existed. Jesus Christ is COME (entered) into the flesh or body of a man. In fact, Jesus was laughed at when he said he knew Abraham. But Jesus said this to them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58). After the crowd heard this: The crowd went ape crazy and they picked up stones to throw at him. In other words, Jesus is saying He has always existed. He did not come down into a newly created human soul or spirit and take on a human nature so as to potentially sin. That wouldn't make any sense. For me this is a really strong point for this position.

#5. 1 Peter 2:24 - "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

Many believe that the atonement is denied if one does not believe Jesus had a human nature. But having a human soul or human spirit is not a requirement in order for God to redeem us of our sins. How so? Peter says that Jesus took on our sins in his body on the cross. So the human spirit and or human soul is not necessary for our salvation. Jesus's blood is what washes away our sins and not the soul or some spirit. For a high price was paid for our sins, and that was with Christ's death.

#6. 1 Timothy 3:16 - "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

This verse says that God was manifest in the flesh. It does not say God was manifest through a human soul or human spirit along with that flesh. God was manifest in the flesh. However, if Jesus took on a human soul, and human spirit, it really wouldn't be God manifesting in the flesh (according to this verse) because He would be like every other believer who has God living inside of them. Jesus was unique and different from us. Jesus was literally GOD. He was manifest in the flesh.

#7. John 14:30 - "Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me."

Jesus is claiming that the devil has nothing inside of him. Meaning, Jesus does not have any of the lusts of the devil residing within himself (Which would be present in a normal corrupt human nature).

Jesus says to certain Jews, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. " (John 8:44).

So Jesus is describing something of his opponents that they do, which does not apply to Him.

For Jesus says, "If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42).

So lusts do not reside in Jesus. So the false belief that Jesus could have sinned because he had a human nature does not work.

14 "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (James 1:14-15).

#8. Jesus said:
"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." (John 6:38).

Now, stop and think about this for a moment. If Jesus said He came down from Heaven, then that means He was either:

(a) He was not telling the entire truth because He was referring to some divine portion of Himself (or):

(b) He was telling the entire truth and He actually did come down from Heaven and He was not created in the Incarnation as some newly created being who had a new human soul, and or human mind, etc.​

Also, if Jesus is able to speak from His divine part of Himself, how is able to shut off the human part of Himself? How is Jesus able to disconnect His human mind, will, and emotions? Jesus said He came down from Heaven. Jesus did not say He came from the Incarnation as if that was His beginning. Again, this is yet another strong point for this position. But many Christians are convinced that the Hypostatic Union (HU) is the truth. What do you say is the truth on this with Scripture?

#9. if Jesus is worshiped as GOD, then that disqualifies Him in fully being a man because man is not to be worshiped as GOD because man is limited and only a created being. For Jesus says, "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." (Luke 4:8).

#10. Isaiah 43:11 says, "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."
This means that there cannot be a newly created Savior to sit next to God. Jesus could not have merged with a newly created human mind, will, and emotions (i.e. a human soul) so as to be a unique Savior to God. Jesus is God, and He is the Savior. If Jesus is a newly created being in the universe, then technically He would be able to be next to the Lord and be beside Him.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Hi Jason,

Important Note:

I have been away for a while.

Well, as a recently promoted moderator, welcome back!

For those of you who do not know me, I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I am a Christian.

:thumb:

I believe the Bible is divinely inspired perfect Word of God (with no errors).

In it's original manuscripts? or in it's current form? (Not your main point, I know, but this will be the only one, I promise. I'm just curious...)

I believe in the Trinity and I believe Jesus died and was risen again on my behalf for salvation through faith by God's Word (the Bible) alone. I believe Jesus had a real physical flesh and blood body (Whose shed blood washed away my sins). I also want to say that we as Christians do look through a glass darkly and Scripture is not exactly clear on certain things.

I believe the most likely explanation is that Jesus had a divine soul only, and that His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to have all knowledge) was suppressed.

Why do I believe this? Was it because of some creed or church told me to believe this way? No. Most surely not. It is purely based on what I have come to know the Scriptures say and by logic, and knowing the love of God, and His good ways.

So here are the verses for you to consider (Which is my preferred explanation on understanding Christ's divine and human behavior expressed in Scripture):

#1. Hebrews 7:26 - "For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;"

Jesus is holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners. He was made higher than the heavens. He became us (in the fact that he had a flesh and blood body), but he was holy. A person or being who is truly holy, harmless, undefiled and separate from sinners does not have the capacity to sin. Some say that Jesus had a human nature whereby He had the ability to potentially do evil. This means that in order to do evil or sin, one must have lusts or bad desires within them in order to carry out or act upon those wrong desires or lusts. Yet, the Bible says he was holy, undefiled and separate from sinners.

#2. 1 John 2:16 - "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

This verse states that the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." (John 10:30).

So if Jesus is truly one with the Father (and He is), then Jesus cannot also have any lusts of the flesh, or lusts of the eyes, or the pride of life. These things are of the world. In fact, the devil tried to offer Jesus the kingdoms of this world, but He refused his offer.

#3. Micah 5:2 - "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting."

This is a Messianic prophecy that talks about how Jesus will be a ruler over Israel one day. It says that the origin of this ruler (Jesus) is from of old, from everlasting. Alternatively however if Jesus had a human soul or human mind, it suggests that Jesus was a newly created being that did not exist before the Incarnation. He would not have technically existed from everlasting if he joined with a newly created human counterpart in the Incarnation. The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. His origins are from everlasting in the fact that He is the eternal Living Word (or the Word of God as Revelation says). Jesus. He always existed. This presents a problem for Hypostatic Union (HU).

#4. 1 John 4:2 - "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God."

It's a pretty fair conclusion to make that Jesus was unlike us. He was unique. This verse is not saying that he was like us. This verse does not say after he came into the flesh he became known as the man called, Jesus Christ. That is not what we are to confess. We are to confess that Jesus Christ is COME in the flesh. What this verse is suggesting (like other verses) is that Jesus Christ has always existed. Jesus Christ is COME (entered) into the flesh or body of a man. In fact, Jesus was laughed at when he said he knew Abraham. But Jesus said this to them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58). After the crowd heard this: The crowd went ape crazy and they picked up stones to throw at him. In other words, Jesus is saying He has always existed. He did not come down into a newly created human soul or spirit and take on a human nature so as to potentially sin. That wouldn't make any sense. For me this is a really strong point for this position.

#5. 1 Peter 2:24 - "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

Many believe that the atonement is denied if one does not believe Jesus had a human nature. But having a human soul or human spirit is not a requirement in order for God to redeem us of our sins. How so? Peter says that Jesus took on our sins in his body on the cross. So the human spirit and or human soul is not necessary for our salvation. Jesus's blood is what washes away our sins and not the soul or some spirit. For a high price was paid for our sins, and that was with Christ's death.

#6. 1 Timothy 3:16 - "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

This verse says that God was manifest in the flesh. It does not say God was manifest through a human soul or human spirit along with that flesh. God was manifest in the flesh. However, if Jesus took on a human soul, and human spirit, it really wouldn't be God manifesting in the flesh (according to this verse) because He would be like every other believer who has God living inside of them. Jesus was unique and different from us. Jesus was literally GOD. He was manifest in the flesh.

#7. John 14:30 - "Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me."

Jesus is claiming that the devil has nothing inside of him. Meaning, Jesus does not have any of the lusts of the devil residing within himself (Which would be present in a normal corrupt human nature).

Jesus says to certain Jews, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. " (John 8:44).

So Jesus is describing something of his opponents that they do, which does not apply to Him.

For Jesus says, "If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42).

So lusts do not reside in Jesus. So the false belief that Jesus could have sinned because he had a human nature does not work.

14 "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (James 1:14-15).

#8. Jesus said:
"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." (John 6:38).

Now, stop and think about this for a moment. If Jesus said He came down from Heaven, then that means He was either:

(a) He was not telling the entire truth because He was referring to some divine portion of Himself (or):

(b) He was telling the entire truth and He actually did come down from Heaven and He was not created in the Incarnation as some newly created being who had a new human soul, and or human mind, etc.​

Also, if Jesus is able to speak from His divine part of Himself, how is able to shut off the human part of Himself? How is Jesus able to disconnect His human mind, will, and emotions? Jesus said He came down from Heaven. Jesus did not say He came from the Incarnation as if that was His beginning. Again, this is yet another strong point for this position. But many Christians are convinced that the Hypostatic Union (HU) is the truth. What do you say is the truth on this with Scripture?

You make a lot of points that could lead off into other discussions, but if I'm reading your post correctly, your argument is that Jesus did not take on a second nature, "man," at the incarnation?

Am I reading your post correct? or did I misread something?

Jason0047

Hi Jason,

Well, as a recently promoted moderator, welcome back!

In it's original manuscripts? or in it's current form? (Not your main point, I know, but this will be the only one, I promise. I'm just curious...)

You make a lot of points that could lead off into other discussions, but if I'm reading your post correctly, your argument is that Jesus did not take on a second nature, "man," at the incarnation?

Am I reading your post correct? or did I misread something?

Yes. I believe Jesus only took on a human flesh and blood body (Which was from the DNA of Mary). The Eternal Logos (JESUS) merely suppressed His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to have all knowledge) so as to be like a human in behavior. This is why Jesus was able to grow in wisdom (Luke 2:52), and why He did not know the day or the hour of His own return (Matthew 24:36).

In other words, the Logos took on a human nature by suppressing His Omniscience.

Oh, and thank you for welcoming me back.

Jason0047

[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION]:

As for the Word being perfect:

I believe the King James Cambridge Edition (circa 1900) is the perfect Word for our day. To my knowledge: The KJV is translated into 7 languages (not counting the English). Before the English: I believe the Word was perfectly preserved through out history in the Latin, Greek, and Hebrew (Aramaic - Parts of the book of Daniel). I don’t believe there are any errors in the words God chose to preserve through out time.

You can read the KJV Cambridge Edition (circa 1900) via Biblehub as per their regular KJV they have listed (courtesy of Bible Protector).

In other words, I believe the original manuscripts (Hebrew/Aramaic & Greek) are perfect; And I believe the Latin Bible (Latin Vulgate and not the Catholic Vulgate) is perfect, and the English Bible (KJV Cambr. 1900) is perfect.

May God bless you.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

It's a pretty fair conclusion to make that Jesus was unlike us. He was unique. This verse is not saying that he was like us.

What about this one?:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

Jason0047

What about this one?:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

Hello Jerry.

It is nice to see you again.

I bolded the word “like” in the verse you quoted (of which you will be able to see in my quote of your post). Obviously Jesus could not be exactly like His brethren in every way because Jesus was also worshiped as God.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

May God bless you.

Jason0047

Follow the logic. The Scriptures say that God cannot be tempted (James 1:13). Yet, folks are saying Jesus was tempted by sin but He simply chose not to sin. This a paradox or a contradiction.

Jerry Shugart

Hello Jerry.

It is nice to see you again.

Thanks!

I bolded the word “like” in the verse you quoted (of which you will be able to see in my quote of your post). Obviously Jesus could not be exactly like His brethren in every way because Jesus was also worshiped as God.

Yes, He was worshipped as God but that does not change the fact that He was made in the likeness of man:

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross"
(Phil.2:5-8).​

In his commentary on Hebrews 2:17 Matthew Poole wrote that "To be made like unto his brethren; a man having a true body and soul like them in every thing, which was necessary to make him a complete Redeemer; agreeable to them in all things necessary to their nature, qualities, conditions, and affections; like them in sorrows, griefs, pains, death."

According to Poole the Lord Jesus' body and soul was just like the body and soul of every person.

Albert Barnes sees the same truth, writing that "Wherefore in all things - In respect to his body; his soul; his rank and character. There was a propriety that he should be like them, and should partake of their nature."

Jerry Shugart

[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION]:

As for the Word being perfect:

I believe the King James Cambridge Edition (circa 1900) is the perfect Word for our day.

Did the first day of the feast of unleavened bread precede the passover?:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).​

Of course not:

"These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"
(Lev.23:4-6).​

In the KJV at Matthew 26:17 the translators incorrectly added the word "feast."

Last edited:

glorydaz

Follow the logic. The Scriptures say that God cannot be tempted (James 1:13). Yet, folks are saying Jesus was tempted by sin but He simply chose not to sin. This a paradox or a contradiction.

That's a reach. Some say God does not repent, but we have verses saying He does.

glorydaz

Yes. I believe Jesus only took on a human flesh and blood body (Which was from the DNA of Mary). The Eternal Logos (JESUS) merely suppressed His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to have all knowledge) so as to be like a human in behavior. This is why Jesus was able to grow in wisdom (Luke 2:52), and why He did not know the day or the hour of His own return (Matthew 24:36).

In other words, the Logos took on a human nature by suppressing His Omniscience.

Oh, and thank you for welcoming me back.

God donning a man suit for a time?
I've heard that before. :think:

I see two examples of how you think He suppressed His Omniscience, but there are many more examples where He clearly didn't. He knew what men were thinking. He knew who was going to betray Him. He knew many many things.

glorydaz

If He still retained His omniscience, as it seems to me He did, then He would know all things, and understand that it was wrong to desire what was not His to have. The fact that He was God living as a human being, left Him with the full picture that we as mere humans don't have. We have a taste of it in our consciences, but not the knowledge that our Lord had as our Creator.

Jerry Shugart

If He still retained His omniscience, as it seems to me He did, then He would know all things...

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Mt.24:36).​

Did the Lord Jesus know the day and the hour?

Jason0047

Thanks!

Yes, He was worshipped as God but that does not change the fact that He was made in the likeness of man:

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross"
(Phil.2:5-8).​

In his commentary on Hebrews 2:17 Matthew Poole wrote that "To be made like unto his brethren; a man having a true body and soul like them in every thing, which was necessary to make him a complete Redeemer; agreeable to them in all things necessary to their nature, qualities, conditions, and affections; like them in sorrows, griefs, pains, death."

According to Poole the Lord Jesus' body and soul was just like the body and soul of every person.

Albert Barnes sees the same truth, writing that "Wherefore in all things - In respect to his body; his soul; his rank and character. There was a propriety that he should be like them, and should partake of their nature."

First, "likeness" does not imply "exactness."

Second, if Jesus is worshiped as GOD, then that disqualifies Him in fully being a man because man is not to be worshiped as GOD because man is limited and only a created being. For Jesus says, "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." (Luke 4:8).

Three, Isaiah 43:11 says, "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."
This means that there cannot be a newly created Savior to sit next to God. Jesus could not have merged with a newly created human mind, will, and emotions (i.e. a human soul) so as to be a unique Savior to God. Jesus is God, and He is the Savior. If Jesus is a newly created being in the universe, then technically He would be able to be next to the Lord and be beside Him.

As for Philippians 2: I will have to comment on this later. ...

Last edited:

Jason0047

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Mt.24:36).​

Did the Lord Jesus know the day and the hour?

Jesus grew in wisdom as a child (Luke 2:52), and He did not know the day or the hour of His own return (Matthew 24:36).

The Bible alludes to the fact that Jesus suppressed His divine attribute of Omniscience at the beginning of God’s creation.

How so?

Jesus says to God the Father,

"And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began." (John 17:5).

I believe this glory is in reference to the "glory of the knowledge of the Lord."

For it is written:

"For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:14).

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6).

Jesus divine attribute of Omniscience was not suppressed before the world began. This is the glory that He shared with the Father at one time. Jesus was the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. His fate was already laid out ahead of time because God is 100% aware of everything that is going to happen.

When the world began, Jesus's divine attribute of Omniscience was suppressed.

Jesus was perfected in obeying the Father and suffered unto death while He was limited in knowledge or while His divine attribute of Omniscience was suppressed. Jesus was able to learn how to obey while under suffering in a human body with limited knowledge. Jesus lived like a man so as to fulfill the type of Adam. For Adam was also limited in knowledge in the Garden before the fall.

It's why Jesus is a like type figure of Adam.

For Jesus is called the "Last Adam" in Scripture (See 1 Corinthians 15:22).

Last edited:

Jason0047

Did the first day of the feast of unleavened bread precede the passover?:

"Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).​

Of course not:

"These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"
(Lev.23:4-6).​

In the KJV at Matthew 26:17 the translators incorrectly added the word "feast."

Not to get side tracked, but if you are truly interested, the following article was revolutionary in my thinking on these two pieces of Scripture.

http://www.ironsharpeningiron.com/passoverisafeasthenson.htm

The article is long, but is easy to read.
Matthew 26:17 appears towards the end of their article, but I would highly recommend reading the whole article to understand where they are coming from.

Side Note:

While they explain the Passover really well, I do not agree with their idea that we have to keep the Passover, though. I believe we are under a New Covenant with new commands.

Jerry Shugart

He did in His deity. Being ONE with the Father.

Jesus speaks of His "Father" in His humanity.

Even though the Lord Jesus said that "only" the Father knows and that no "man" knows the day and the hour you say that the Son knows:

According to you the Lord Jesus knew the day and hour in His deity even though we read this about Him:

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" (Phil.2:6-8).​

The Lord Jesus said that no man knows the day and the hour but the Father ONLY but you say that the Son also knew.

Jason0047

That's a reach. Some say God does not repent, but we have verses saying He does.

Hello Glordaz.

I hope all is well with you.

Anyways, to get down to business: The Bible has homonyms within it. The word "repent" can have different meanings. In God's case, when he repents, it is in reference to being grieved. In our case, "repent" means to be moved by a Godly sorrow over our sins so as to seek forgiveness over our sins with the Lord Jesus Christ. Most today have been hardened by their sin, and they think they can sin and still be saved by just having a belief on Jesus as their Savior.

Anyways, this does not change the contradiction that is presented in James 1:13. It clearly says God cannot be tempted by evil. Seeing Jesus is GOD, He also cannot be tempted (internally) by evil. When the Bible talks about Jesus being tempted it is only in reference to an external temptation only.

Jesus can sympathize with our weaknesses because He knows what it is like to be tempted in the flesh while His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to know all things) is suppressed. In other words, Jesus was in our shoes (in a manner of speaking). But Jesus did not have lusts inside Him in order to actually sin or do evil. Jesus is GOD and he is holy, undefiled, and separate from sinners (See Hebrews 7:26).

May God's love shine upon you today.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Jason0047

God donning a man suit for a time?
I've heard that before. :think:

Good morning Glorydaz.

Grace, peace, and love to you from the Lord Jesus Christ this fine morning.

Anyways, to get to the topic at hand:

Yes, I believe Jesus essentially took on a man suit. How so? Well, Jesus called His body a temple (See John 2:19-21). Jesus said He came down from heaven (See John 6:38) and He did not say He came from the Incarnation as a part of His origin.

You said:
I see two examples of how you think He suppressed His Omniscience, but there are many more examples where He clearly didn't. He knew what men were thinking. He knew who was going to betray Him. He knew many many things.

Yes, you are right, Luke 2:52, and Matthew 24:36 are two clear examples of where His Omniscience was clearly suppressed. I also agree that He also knew many things about others, too. I believe God the Father allowed Him to have knowledge (to a certain degree for it's intended purpose) at certain times either by request or by His own choosing at times. But He did not have all knowledge (during His Earthly ministry) apparently because of Luke 2:52 and Matthew 24:36.

But I believe Jesus had power as God during His earthly ministry:

#1. Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead (John 5:21).
#2. Hebrews 1:3 talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
#3. Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later (John 2:19).
#4. Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life (Mark 2:7) (Luke 7:44-50) (John 14:6).
#5 Jesus had power to take away the sins of the entire world (John 1:29).
#6. Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them (Matthew 18:20). This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
#7. Jesus knew men's thoughts (Matthew 9:4) (Matthew 12:25) (Mark 2:8) (Luke 5:22) (Luke 6:8) (Luke 9:47) (Luke 24:38).
#8. Jesus knew about the lives of others (John 2:24) (John 4:17-18) (John 4:29) (John 6:64).