ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Heterodoxical

Cabinet maker, if you wish to invest the time, I"ll go through and give you hours of discussion on what the Evangelical Protestants are missing, and then the Protestants alone if you wish. I'm not RCC because like you, Mary and a few other things bug me, but they are by far more biblically correct than we protestants are on MANY fronts.

Heterodoxical

Sigh. For such a decision one would think that careful study would be in order. The materials I provided required significant personal study. Will you devote the time to this or have you already made up your mind and are just seeking validation from the hoi polloi?

AMR

Can you make Rome's arguments for her?

If not, it's hard to judge them.

After setting out on that challenge, they hold MANY closer biblical truths than evangelical protestants, and protestants in general.

On a side note, I don't recall, but it seems you attend a liturgical church, no?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You think so?

I've never seen him do it. I've seen him misrepresent them SOMEWHAT, but not horribly in the past. I thought it was a fair question.

I liked the question
and
you don't have to be fair

amr is a former papist as in jesuit

Heterodoxical

I liked the question
and
you don't have to be fair

amr is a former papist as in jesuit

oic. Doesn't mean he has studied Rome's claims vs the Bible, but I'm suspecting he's been taught two different ways, that's still more than most.

But, I'm telling ya, until you try to make the arguments yourself and research it all out, and work out the problems/solutions/contradictions, etc... you don't understand what is in play.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
oic. Doesn't mean he has studied Rome's claims vs the Bible, but I'm suspecting he's been taught two different ways, that's still more than most.

But, I'm telling ya, until you try to make the arguments yourself and research it all out, and work out the problems/solutions/contradictions, etc... you don't understand what is in play.

so I should be able to make the protestant argument?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Cabinet maker, if you wish to invest the time, I"ll go through and give you hours of discussion on what the Evangelical Protestants are missing, and then the Protestants alone if you wish. I'm not RCC because like you, Mary and a few other things bug me, but they are by far more biblically correct than we protestants are on MANY fronts.
Like any Christian sect, they have their good points as well as their bad. Overall, I think their bad far out weighs their good.

Heterodoxical

so I should be able to make the protestant argument?

At least. BUT, for you that would be a bit harder to swallow..... And since, for all polite debate technicalities, your church was around first it's established as the Status Quo and burden of proof would fall on my side of the table.

Unless of course, you made claims against my faith and then proof is on you.

bybee

And then, after dithering around in things theological for any number of years it came to me that "Love God/Love your neighbor" fairly well sums it up.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
At least. BUT, for you that would be a bit harder to swallow..... And since, for all polite debate technicalities, your church was around first it's established as the Status Quo and burden of proof would fall on my side of the table.

Unless of course, you made claims against my faith and then proof is on you.

for me the biggest problem is His Church on a rock
and
the fact that Jesus changed simon's name to peter

Heterodoxical

And then, after dithering around in things theological for any number of years it came to me that "Love God/Love your neighbor" fairly well sums it up.

I concur, and even more simply, Christ said the love you show to the least of me, you show to Him.

So you can make it LOVE neighbor, and if tht love is shown in the actions, it's loving God too.

You should be worried, we think somewhat alike.

Heterodoxical

for me the biggest problem is His Church on a rock
and
the fact that Jesus changed simon's name to peter

That's my biggest objection. Rome misses that one, but I can respect how they get there. :)

And since it's now a salvific issue, I don't much argue it except for intellectual reasons/discussion, or if some militant Catholic is showing their posterior.....

I don't really care to make someone question their faith unnecessarily.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's my biggest objection. Rome misses that one, but I can respect how they get there. :)

And since it's now a salvific issue, I don't much argue it except for intellectual reasons/discussion, or if some militant Catholic is showing their posterior.....

I don't really care to make someone question their faith unnecessarily.

you have to start there
either it is
or
it is not His Church
everything else depends on that

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And since, for all polite debate technicalities, your church was around first it's established as the Status Quo and burden of proof would fall on my side of the table.

Oh no, the church of God existed long before the church of Rome.

The difference between the two is that the church of God is a spiritual body with Christ as its head and the church of Rome is a physical corporate body with an elected man as its head. The two churches have little in common.