What led me away from Calvinism

GregoryN

"What led me away from Calvinism"

Many have asked what specific points led me away from Calvinism. Being a Professor of Theology that once affirmed TULIP gives me a unique perspective on this subject.
However, I do not claim to be an expert in the field nor do I begrudge those who disagree with my perspective. I simply desire to interpret rightly the Word of God.
Hopefully this podcast and article can help you understand why I could not continue to support the Calvinistic interpretation of the text.

I believe there are many who are hoping to convince someone they care about to leave behind their Calvinistic beliefs. I hate to tell them, but it is doubtful a blog post or a podcast will accomplish that feat. It is very difficult to convince YOURSELF to leave a long held theological perspective and next to impossible to convince another. For me it was a painstaking three year journey after I engaged in an in-depth study of the subject. I had no desire to leave Calvinism and I fought tooth and nail to defend my beloved “Doctrines of Grace” against the truths my studies led me to see. There was no single book, article, or discussion that led me to recant my adherence to the TULIP systematic.

In fact, I’m quite certain I could never have been “debated out of Calvinism.” I was much too competitive to objectively evaluate my systematic in the heat of a contentious type discussion. Even if I were to come against an argument I could not answer, I would have never admitted that to my opponent. Few individuals would be able to get around the intense emotion and pride inducing adrenaline brought on by debating theology. Our innate desire to be esteemed by others and seen as “smarter” than we really are often overwhelms any potential for learning and profitable dialogue.

If someone disagreed with me, my presumption was that they must not really understand my perspective. So, instead of attempting to listen and objectively evaluate their arguments I focused on restating my case more clearly, confidently and dogmatically. If I did not fully understand what they were saying I would often label them and dismiss them instead of taking the time to fully evaluate their point of view. I am not attempting to suggest every Calvinist makes these errors — I am only reflecting on what I now view as my mistakes.

https://soteriology101.com/2014/12/08/the-5-points-that-lead-me-out-of-calvinism/

Robert Pate

Banned

Right Divider

Body part
Good for you. I hope that your article will help others to see the truth. I hope that you didn't come out of Calvinism only to go into some other religion. We don't need religion, what we need is faith in Christ and his Gospel. This is why Paul wrote, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17 and not by rules, laws or religion.
Indeed, Paul was quoting scripture:

(Rom 1:17 KJV) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

This is what he was quoting:

(Hab 2:4 KJV) Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
We don't need religion, what we need is faith in Christ and his Gospel. This is why Paul wrote, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17 and not by rules, laws or religion.

JW's claim to have faith in Christ and his gospel. So do Mormons, Calvinists and others.

You're claiming we don't need the NT because it is a religious book.

The NT doesn't claim anything goes if we attribute it to faith.

Robert Pate

Banned
JW's claim to have faith in Christ and his gospel. So do Mormons, Calvinists and others.

You're claiming we don't need the NT because it is a religious book.

The NT doesn't claim anything goes if we attribute it to faith.

The sole purpose Of the New Testament is to reveal Christ and his Gospel. It is not another Jewish Torah.

DAN P

Indeed, Paul was quoting scripture:

(Rom 1:17 KJV) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

This is what he was quoting:

(Hab 2:4 KJV) Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

Hi and we see that the difference between is that Paul leaves out the word HIS in Rom 1:17 !!

The Hab 2:4 speaks to HIS FAITH in the Law !!

The Rom 1:17 does not !!

dan p

MennoSota

What a foolish thread. What I note is that the emphasis is not on God and His word. Instead, the op just moves from one worldview to another without ever having a saving faith. There are many _______ists in this world who are dead in their trespasses and sins because their belief is found in a system and God has never given them the gift of faith.

Reactions: Lon

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What a foolish thread. What I note is that the emphasis is not on God and His word. Instead, the op just moves from one worldview to another without ever having a saving faith. There are many _______ists in this world who are dead in their trespasses and sins because their belief is found in a system and God has never given them the gift of faith.
You're just mad because someone rejected your beliefs. Amirite?

MennoSota

I find your "gospel" made by men to be foolish.

I prefer God's word to teachings of men based on pagan ideas.
Of course you find the gospel foolish. However, God is the one who says he chooses, elects and predestines unto salvation. What you teach is man-made, JR. Go back to Charles Taze Russell.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Of course you find the gospel foolish.

Not what I said. Please don't twist my words.

I said I find YOUR "gospel" foolish. And then I said that I prefer God's word to pagan ideas.

However, God is the one who says he chooses, elects and predestines unto salvation.

God chose the nation of Israel to believe, and then most of them went to hell.

So, according to you either God lied, or being chosen isn't what you think it is.

What you teach is man-made, JR. Go back to Charles Taze Russell.

Who?

:think: :idunno:

glorydaz

Salvation by grace is that gift which we access through faith. Read Romans chapter 4 and you'll understand Eph. 2.