God is ONE, and therefore not three, and not three in one, but ONE!

Elia

Bs"d

"Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

"Listen, Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One" Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." English Standard Version

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" New American Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." New International Version

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!" New King James Version"

"And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?" Jesus answered, "The first is, `Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, THE LORD IS ONE; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that HE IS ONE, and there is no other but he; and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."" Mark 12:28-34 Revised Standard Version

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Here is the most important one. Moses said, 'Israel, listen to me. The Lord is our God. The Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one." New International Readers Version

"Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, The Lord is One." .... "You have correctly said that He is One," Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Jesus answered, The first is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one:" .... "thou hast well said that he is one;" American Standard Version

"Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one." New King James Version

"Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one" .... "You have truly said that he is one," English Standard Version

"Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one;" .... "A wonderful answer, Teacher! So lucid and accurate—that God is one" The Message

"‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... “You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one; but GOD IS ONE." Gal 3:20 Revised Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but GOD IS ONE" King James Version

"A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but GOD IS ONE." New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one, but GOD IS ONE." English Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one; but GOD IS ONE." American Standard Version

"and the mediator is not of one, and GOD IS ONE" Youngs Literal Translation

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." James 2:19 Revised Standard Version

"thou -- thou dost believe that GOD IS ONE; thou dost well," Youngs Literal translation

"Thou believest that GOD IS ONE; thou doest well:" American Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Holman Christian Standard Bible.

"*Thou* believest that GOD IS ONE. Thou doest well." Darby Translation.

"It’s good that you believe that GOD IS ONE." Common English Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." English Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Amplified Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE You do well;" New American Standard Bible

So the Bible teaches clearly that God is ONE.

"And J-e-h-o-v-a-h shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall J-e-h-o-v-a-h be one, and his name one." Zach 14:9 American Standard Version

"And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be— “The LORD is one, And His name one." New King James Version

"And the LORD will be king over all the earth. On that day the LORD will be one and his name one." English Standard Version

"And the Lord shall be King over all the earth; in that day the Lord shall be one [in the recognition and worship of men] and His name one." Amplified Bible

beameup

Then Elohim said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness
Elohim created man in His own image, in the image of Elohim He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1:26a-27
Elohim is plural

Elia

Elohim created man in His own image, in the image of Elohim He created him; male and female He created them.
Elohim is plural

Bs"d

You have difficulty understanding what the word "ONE" means?

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us". One explanation is that it is a majestic plural as used by kings. Another possible explanation is that God was talking to the angels.

Some Christians try to refute the last argument by saying that the angels didn't create. They point to Genesis 1:1; "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." They say: 'God was the creator, and not the angels.' However, it is a given in Jewish law that an emissary is equal to the one who sends him. When a Jewish man marries a woman through an agent, the legal effect is the same as when he marries her personally. A good Biblical example of this is to be found in Genesis 19 where is spoken about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent two angels to destroy the cities, the angels said to Lot in verse 13: "For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." Upon this Lot says to his sons in law: "Up, get out of this place; for the LORD is about to destroy the city." Lot didn't say: "The angels are going to destroy the city" He said: "The LORD (Y-H-W-H in the Hebrew text) is going to destroy the city". And in verse 29 it is written: "So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley...." So the angels were send by God to destroy the cities, but God is considered to be the one who did it, because He was the one who sent them. So why shouldn't the same hold true for the creation?

But one way or the other, no plural created man. Look in Genesis 5:1; "When God created man ..." In Hebrew this is: "bara Elohiem adam" Here the verb "to create", in Hebrew "bara", is in the singular, indicating clearly that Elohiem who created man is one. The same goes for the very first verse of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word created is here written in the singular; it says "bara". If God was a plural, it should have been "baru".

BUT, back to the pronouns, Y-H-W-H says the following:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

It says "I" am Y-H-W-H. And, as we all know, "I" is singular, and not plural, and therefore no three persons in Y-H-W-H. Otherwise He would have said: "WE are Y-H-W-H."

But no such thing, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H".

No trinity.

Another example of a pronoun:

Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are Y-H-W-H.”

As we see, it says that YOU, in the Hebrew singular, not plural are Y-H-W-H.

Again, no YOU, plural, are Y-H-W-H, but YOU singular, are Y-H-W-H.

So no three persons in God.

Another one:

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Clear what? It doesn't say: “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: WE are the first and WE are the last; apart from US there is no God.

No such a thing, it is all SINGULAR.

Another one:

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Again, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H", and not "WE are Y-H-W-H" Such a thing simply doesn't exist.

I can go on and on with this, but these examples suffice. There is NO plurality in God.

And the word "us" when God speaks to the angels, does not imply otherwise.

beameup

Bs"d

No. Elohim has eternally existed as a plural. You are using faulty human "logic". God exists eternally as a plural. This fact allows God to accomplish so much more than if He was a singularity... like saving humans from being born in a sinful state, unable to save himself.

Elia

No. Elohim has eternally existed as a plural. You are using faulty human "logic". God exists eternally as a plural. This fact allows God to accomplish so much more than if He was a singularity... like saving humans from being born in a sinful state, unable to save himself.

Bs"d

Show me where the Tanach says that "God existed eternally as a plural".

oatmeal

Bs"d

"Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

"Listen, Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is One" Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." English Standard Version

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" New American Standard Bible

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one." New International Version

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!" New King James Version"

"And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?" Jesus answered, "The first is, `Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, THE LORD IS ONE; and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this, `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that HE IS ONE, and there is no other but he; and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."" Mark 12:28-34 Revised Standard Version

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Here is the most important one. Moses said, 'Israel, listen to me. The Lord is our God. The Lord is one." .... "You are right in saying that God is one." New International Readers Version

"Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, The Lord is One." .... "You have correctly said that He is One," Holman Christian Standard Bible

"Jesus answered, The first is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one:" .... "thou hast well said that he is one;" American Standard Version

"Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one." New King James Version

"Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one" .... "You have truly said that he is one," English Standard Version

"Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one;" .... "A wonderful answer, Teacher! So lucid and accurate—that God is one" The Message

"‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." .... “You are right in saying that God is one" New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one; but GOD IS ONE." Gal 3:20 Revised Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but GOD IS ONE" King James Version

"A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but GOD IS ONE." New International Version

"Now an intermediary implies more than one, but GOD IS ONE." English Standard Version

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one; but GOD IS ONE." American Standard Version

"and the mediator is not of one, and GOD IS ONE" Youngs Literal Translation

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." James 2:19 Revised Standard Version

"thou -- thou dost believe that GOD IS ONE; thou dost well," Youngs Literal translation

"Thou believest that GOD IS ONE; thou doest well:" American Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Holman Christian Standard Bible.

"*Thou* believest that GOD IS ONE. Thou doest well." Darby Translation.

"It’s good that you believe that GOD IS ONE." Common English Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." English Standard Version

"You believe that GOD IS ONE; you do well." Amplified Bible

"You believe that GOD IS ONE You do well;" New American Standard Bible

So the Bible teaches clearly that God is ONE.

"And J-e-h-o-v-a-h shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall J-e-h-o-v-a-h be one, and his name one." Zach 14:9 American Standard Version

"And the LORD shall be King over all the earth. In that day it shall be— “The LORD is one, And His name one." New King James Version

"And the LORD will be king over all the earth. On that day the LORD will be one and his name one." English Standard Version

"And the Lord shall be King over all the earth; in that day the Lord shall be one [in the recognition and worship of men] and His name one." Amplified Bible

Great exposition of scripture on this topic!

oatmeal

Bs"d

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us". One explanation is that it is a majestic plural as used by kings. Another possible explanation is that God was talking to the angels.

Some Christians try to refute the last argument by saying that the angels didn't create. They point to Genesis 1:1; "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." They say: 'God was the creator, and not the angels.' However, it is a given in Jewish law that an emissary is equal to the one who sends him. When a Jewish man marries a woman through an agent, the legal effect is the same as when he marries her personally. A good Biblical example of this is to be found in Genesis 19 where is spoken about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent two angels to destroy the cities, the angels said to Lot in verse 13: "For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." Upon this Lot says to his sons in law: "Up, get out of this place; for the LORD is about to destroy the city." Lot didn't say: "The angels are going to destroy the city" He said: "The LORD (Y-H-W-H in the Hebrew text) is going to destroy the city". And in verse 29 it is written: "So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley...." So the angels were send by God to destroy the cities, but God is considered to be the one who did it, because He was the one who sent them. So why shouldn't the same hold true for the creation?

But one way or the other, no plural created man. Look in Genesis 5:1; "When God created man ..." In Hebrew this is: "bara Elohiem adam" Here the verb "to create", in Hebrew "bara", is in the singular, indicating clearly that Elohiem who created man is one. The same goes for the very first verse of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word created is here written in the singular; it says "bara". If God was a plural, it should have been "baru".

BUT, back to the pronouns, Y-H-W-H says the following:

It says "I" am Y-H-W-H. And, as we all know, "I" is singular, and not plural, and therefore no three persons in Y-H-W-H. Otherwise He would have said: "WE are Y-H-W-H."

But no such thing, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H".

No trinity.

Another example of a pronoun:

Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are Y-H-W-H.”

As we see, it says that YOU, in the Hebrew singular, not plural are Y-H-W-H.

Again, no YOU, plural, are Y-H-W-H, but YOU singular, are Y-H-W-H.

So no three persons in God.

Another one:

Clear what? It doesn't say: “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: WE are the first and WE are the last; apart from US there is no God.

No such a thing, it is all SINGULAR.

Another one:

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Again, God says: "I am Y-H-W-H", and not "WE are Y-H-W-H" Such a thing simply doesn't exist.

I can go on and on with this, but these examples suffice. There is NO plurality in God.

And the word "us" when God speaks to the angels, does not imply otherwise.

Again, good post

I go with the majestic plural

oatmeal

When a person precludes that the trinity is taught in scripture then your statement has to be true to support that preclusion.

But when scripture is read for what it says, not what some want it to say or wish it said, then we learn that God is alone in His singular position as "the God" and that Jesus the anointed one, Acts 10:38, is derived, subordinate and inferior to his God and Father.

Thus there is no need for human explanations such as the one you offered.

God had a son, a human son who God put spirit upon at his baptism by John.

God planned for our redemption and salvation, but did not do the human legwork necessary.

Our redemption is the result of a human doing what Adam the human failed to do, believing, loving and obeying God no matter what.

The gift of God and the grace of God was brought about by one man, one man's obedience to his God and Father

Romans 5:15

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

With that in mind, who has considered what we might accomplish as sons of God if we would but humbly, lovingly and meekly obey our God and Father?

Philippians 2:8-15

oatmeal

Evidently, the trinity theory requires that all references to God being one have to be suppressed, even rejected, in order to exalt the the use of "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26!!

Yet, even the immediate context makes it clear that the use of "us" and "our" is figurative.

Genesis 1:26-27,29,31

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 2:2

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Just in these few verses of the context, the number of times that God refers to himself as "he" "his" "I"

instead of "us" "our" is abundant reason to realize that God is speaking figuratively,ie, the majestic plural or more precisely, the heterosis of number.

To ignore the figures of speech that God uses is sheer folly

If we do not recognize figures of speech that God uses, then verses like Psalm 18:2

2 The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

will cause the sincere seeking believer to be looking for a literal physical rock,a fortress, a buckler, a horn and a high tower.

Bradley D

"Now arise, LORD God, and come to your resting place, you and the ark of your might. May your priests, LORD God, be clothed with salvation, may your faithful people rejoice in your goodness" (2 Chronicles 6:41). Here Elohim/God is used after Lord to express the greatness of God and all His attributes.

Truster

Man was created in both the image and the likeness of Elohim.

The likeness is triune. Father, Son and Holy Spirit and in man body, soul and spirit. That is the likeness. A man is one but consists of three parts and each part is independent in function, but vital to the whole.

oatmeal

Elohim is plural

If Elohim is plural then why not translate it that way?

If the word camels in Hebrew was in a passage why not translate it camels? Why translate it camel if it is plural?

Well, I will do it for you.

Gods created man in their own images in the images of Gods they created him, male and female they create them.

So, since it is plural why not translate thus?

for that matter, have you not notice that God uses figures of speech to communicate more precisely?

God will use the plural at times not to convey a greater number but greatness.

God's act in Genesis 1:26, that in that instance He refers to himself in the plural to convey the greatness of what He was about to do. It is a figure of speech commonly called the majestic plural, but academically, heterosis of number. It is a figure of speech God uses in other scriptures as well.

oatmeal

The likeness is triune. Father, Son and Holy Spirit and in man body, soul and spirit. That is the likeness. A man is one but consists of three parts and each part is independent in function, but vital to the whole.

So then, if as you say, God is made up of three, that is, that the image of God is made up of three, listed below:

1. God the Father

2. God the Son

3. God the Holy Spirit

Could you point out what is the part of man that is

1. God the Father

which part of man is

2. God the Son

and which part of man is

3. God the Holy Spirit?

That is after all, according to some, the image of God.

What say you?

Or will you resort to name calling because you did not realize that people actually minds and choose to use them?

If God is in control of everything as you seem to say, then God had me write this to you to show you the problems with your doctrine, that is it is erroneous and propounding it does all Christianity a disservice. How do I know this because God is control of everything, isn't he?

When you learn to rightly divide the word of truth, then you will have something worth posting

Truster

So then, if as you say, God is made up of three, that is, that the image of God is made up of three, listed below:

1. God the Father

2. God the Son

3. God the Holy Spirit

Could you point out what is the part of man that is

1. God the Father

which part of man is

2. God the Son

and which part of man is

3. God the Holy Spirit?

That is after all, according to some, the image of God.

What say you?

Or will you resort to name calling because you did not realize that people actually minds and choose to use them?

If God is in control of everything as you seem to say, then God had me write this to you to show you the problems with your doctrine, that is it is erroneous and propounding it does all Christianity a disservice. How do I know this because God is control of everything, isn't he?

I have given you the facts but because of judicial blindness you can't comprehend the facts. You prove this to be the case in every post you make. I rejoice in this because you are one of those that fulfil the oft repeated scripture.

"That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them".​

PS don't go ranting on and demanding an answer because you have received the answer time and time again.

marhig

When a person precludes that the trinity is taught in scripture then your statement has to be true to support that preclusion.

But when scripture is read for what it says, not what some want it to say or wish it said, then we learn that God is alone in His singular position as "the God" and that Jesus the anointed one, Acts 10:38, is derived, subordinate and inferior to his God and Father.

Thus there is no need for human explanations such as the one you offered.

God had a son, a human son who God put spirit upon at his baptism by John.

God planned for our redemption and salvation, but did not do the human legwork necessary.

Our redemption is the result of a human doing what Adam the human failed to do, believing, loving and obeying God no matter what.

The gift of God and the grace of God was brought about by one man, one man's obedience to his God and Father

Romans 5:15

But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

With that in mind, who has considered what we might accomplish as sons of God if we would but humbly, lovingly and meekly obey our God and Father?

Philippians 2:8-15
Jesus had the Spirit from the womb and grew stronger in Spirit as a child, Jesus always had the Spirit of God with him, not just at the baptism of water by John.

Luke 2

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

And Jesus has always been the Christ, he didn't become the Christ at baptism either.

Luke 2

And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law, then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

marhig

You got that right, the likeness is triune, but then, the likeness is more than triune, because all those born of God are in his likeness. And they are alike in that that have the same love, word, mercy forgiveness and truth. But there is only one God and he's the father!

iamaberean

Elohim is plural

The one and only Supreme God, also known as Jehovah, was speaking to the angels. He was asking for their input. In the very next scripture it points out that He, singular, created them.

Here is another scripture to show this point.
1Sa 28:13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
ĕlôhı̂ym
el-o-heem'
Plural of H433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative: - angels, X exceeding, God (gods) (-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If Elohim is plural then why not translate it that way?

If the word camels in Hebrew was in a passage why not translate it camels? Why translate it camel if it is plural?

Well, I will do it for you.

Gods created man in their own images in the images of Gods they created him, male and female they create them.

So, since it is plural why not translate thus?

Because you have now changed the grammar of words that are not plural

Here is what it says:

755b0c541fac1cb5773b08c62838cecc.jpg

[And created] [Gods] [man] [in His own image] [in the image] [of Gods] [He created] [them] [male] [and female] [He created] [them]

Literally translated, it reads as this:

And Gods He created man in His own image, in the image of Gods He created them, male and female He created them.

Every single time that "Elohim" (Gods) is always followed by a verb, the verb is singular, even though the noun, "Elohim" is plural.

In English, that would be a grammatical error. But Moses, in the very first verse of the Bible, used "Elohim," a plural noun, and "bara," a singular verb. Do you think he made an error?

[In the beginning] [created] [Gods] [-] [the heavens] [and] [the earth]

In the beginning, Gods He created the heavens and the earth.

for that matter, have you not notice that God uses figures of speech to communicate more precisely?

God will use the plural at times not to convey a greater number but greatness.

God's act in Genesis 1:26, that in that instance He refers to himself in the plural to convey the greatness of what He was about to do. It is a figure of speech commonly called the majestic plural, but academically, heterosis of number. It is a figure of speech God uses in other scriptures as well.