pacifism for true Jesus' followers.

Rosenritter

Rosen,

did you read my OP? not just title?

Before I had read your opening post, but I had neglected to give much thought to the title. Then I despaired at why the thread was spiraling without profit, and gave though to why. That lead to the title (which I now consider) and realize that the title itself answers the opening post and why the discussion seemed to be losing ground. War cannot be destroyed by war, war is subdued through peace.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Before I had read your opening post, but I had neglected to give much thought to the title. Then I despaired at why the thread was spiraling without profit, and gave though to why. That lead to the title (which I now consider) and realize that the title itself answers the opening post and why the discussion seemed to be losing ground. War cannot be destroyed by war, war is subdued through peace.

so whats your point?

Rosenritter

Is there a world government that we should be beholden to?

It might depend on your understanding of "beholden" and there lies the general disagreement in these conversations. In the general sense I would say "no" as in the sense that any government is a second master which is hated compared to the first. I understand that we should respect the governments of this world to the extent (with the prerequisite) that they are not a terror to good works.

Hawkins

They are almost apples and oranges.

Mark 12:17 (NIV2011)
Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him.

Basically military as well as tax belong to Caesar. You can join military because it is an ask from Caesar as paying tax is.

You can thus pay tax as a duty to help the poor. You can also join army to defend your country.

Of course, if your conscience says no, you can deny both. You can deny the paying of tax if you feel that the tax is used against, say, Christian churches. The same if you don't feel good about joining army you can choose to evade, Caesar will hold you accountable though. In the end, they belong to the duties demanded by Caesar.

Rosenritter

They are almost apples and oranges.

Mark 12:17 (NIV2011)
Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him.

Basically military as well as tax belong to Caesar. You can join military because it is an ask from Caesar as paying tax is.

You can thus pay tax as a duty to help the poor. You can also join army to defend your country.

Of course, if your conscience says no, you can deny both. You can deny the paying of tax if you feel that the tax is used against, say, Christian churches. The same if you don't feel good about joining army you can choose to evade, Caesar will hold you accountable though. In the end, they belong to the duties demanded by Caesar.

So if Ceasar orders you to march to kill barbarians this is also giving to Ceasar what is Ceasar's? or if he orders you to lay seige to Jerusalem so that those inside might be killed or starve?

Hawkins

So if Ceasar orders you to march to kill barbarians this is also giving to Ceasar what is Ceasar's? or if he orders you to lay seige to Jerusalem so that those inside might be killed or starve?

I already said, you can choose to escape the duty demanded by Ceasar if your conscience says that "it's not right". In this case, Ceasar may hold you accountable though (I already explained so).

Good or bad, in the end it belongs to a duty demanded by Ceasar.

I don't think that the Bible teaches you to kill Ceasar under the scenario you mentioned, if this is your point to make.

Rosenritter

I already said, you can choose to escape the duty demanded by Ceasar if your conscience says that "it's not right". In this case, Ceasar may hold you accountable though (I already explained so).

Good or bad, in the end it belongs to a duty demanded by Ceasar.

I don't think that the Bible teaches you to kill Ceasar under the scenario you mentioned. If this is your point to make.

If that's the point you got out of it you must have read something completely backwards.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are a lot of things that are lawful that shouldn't be, including infanticide, sexual abomination, and the murder of others under the justification of "it's for our country." My point being that a thing being lawful in the eyes of this world does not make it lawful before God, nor does it make what would otherwise be sin into righteousness.

If someone thinks something is lawful but it is not, then is it lawful or not?

Rosenritter

How so? Your reply here is just an assertion.

Exactly because my point is that we should not be killing others. So if you read my call for peace and the fulfillment of "love thy neighbor" and "love thy enemies" to mean "kill the evil tyrant" then you read it completely backwards. Evil tyrants and enemy drafted soldiers may be "an enemy" but we are still to love them, and it's awfully difficult to love someone when you're trying to kill them.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The point is that the way to peace is from the heart, which is reflected both by the words of our hands and the words of our mouths. If we are to win people to peace, we should reflect that peace consistently.

Again, this thread is about Christians in the military.

glorydaz

Exactly because my point is that we should not be killing others. So if you read my call for peace and the fulfillment of "love thy neighbor" and "love thy enemies" to mean "kill the evil tyrant" then you read it completely backwards. Evil tyrants and enemy drafted soldiers may be "an enemy" but we are still to love them, and it's awfully difficult to love someone when you're trying to kill them.

It's awfully difficult to love someone who just cut off your son's head, too. :think:

I wonder if we have to.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You might want to correct the label of the thread. It seems to have been accidentally titled "Pacifism for true Jesus followers." It made me think that it was supposed to ultimately be about how to follow Jesus with peace.

I titled that way because too many churches or Christians are pro-military which misrepresenting Jesus disgracefully.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I titled that way because too many churches or Christians are pro-military which misrepresenting Jesus disgracefully.

Jesus was not and is not opposed to people being in the military who believed.