The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mat 24:5 KJV
(5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

It would seem contradictory to come in the name of Jesus and then say you are the Christ . Rather many that shall come in the name of Jesus and acknowledge that Jesus is the Christ, but shall deceive many. That's the natural resolution of the grammar there at least, isn't it?

I think that is also in better agreement with what Jesus was saying. Just because someone comes in his name does not mean he is trustworthy. Just because someone says that Jesus is the Christ doesn't mean that he won't be deceiving the masses.
1 Corinthians 12:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

Right Divider

Body part
(5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

It would seem contradictory to come in the name of Jesus and then say you are the Christ . Rather many that shall come in the name of Jesus and acknowledge that Jesus is the Christ, but shall deceive many. That's the natural resolution of the grammar there at least, isn't it?

I think that is also in better agreement with what Jesus was saying. Just because someone comes in his name does not mean he is trustworthy. Just because someone says that Jesus is the Christ doesn't mean that he won't be deceiving the masses.
"In my name" or "In the name of" -- these are references to coming in someone's AUTHORITY.

It's not talking about using proper names.

Here is another great example:
Matt 28:19 (AKJV/PCE)
(28:19) ¶ Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

"in the name of" here means by His AUTHORITY.

The twelve were given authority to do this by God (i.e., the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).

Rosenritter

"In my name" or "In the name of" -- these are references to coming in someone's AUTHORITY.

(28:19) ¶ Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

The twelve were given authority to do this by God (i.e., the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).
Which is the same thing here RD.

Rosenritter

1 Corinthians 12:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
Interesting. So considering everyone on this thread has been saying Jesus is Lord then all of us were of the Holy Spirit, right? We should take care how we answer each other then.

Consider that those who say "Jesus is Christ" and deceive many may not be perfectly sincere about Jesus being Lord. At least not in the practical sense.

Rosenritter

I found one! :first: Scripture is always good. Post of the day!
It would seem that you have pitted two verses together as contradictory without resolution. One doesn't come in the name of Jesus and claim they themselves are Christ, and we obviously know that just because someone says "Jesus is Lord" that they aren't necessarily with God's spirit.

You wouldn't let me ask you for clarification on your thread so I thought I would ask here.

Rosenritter

True. We have to be careful of coming to a debate website like this. We all are the very lawyer-types described. My point in doing so is 1) to stand the gauntlet and hone my theology 2) to serve, wherever I may, and perhaps make a cogent Spirit-led point or two, and 3) to discuss more than banter (so not really as much a lawyer).

I do champion orthodoxy in the sense that it is better to side there than to cause strife unless it is deemed a crucial matter. Again, Martin Luther nailed what he deemed 95 crucial points of needed contention. I try and pick and choose my battles based on similar. I avoid a few threads simply because they get heated and I don't deem them crucial thus not needing my input, nor really serving God or them.

If I'm to be a lawyer, I want to be for God and men, not/not-just my protected interests/theology. Seems to be similar sentiment but we seem also to have a difference in our typical response to what is orthodox. I think orthodoxy and tradition tend to be good, rather than bad. I have no qualms with the idea that some of them are up for redress and inspection but want to see the 'very good reason' for doing so and it has to please God and proceed carefully in love and respect.

... but yet, I think it best if our motives to debate are the best/right ones. In Him

If you have no qualms ... that some traditions may be due for redress and inspection then I respect that.

Rosenritter

No, it is not.
Mark 13:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(13:6) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am [Christ]; and shall deceive many.

Basically this verse means "coming in my authority and claiming to be me".

It seems that you have behaved differently with your actions. I have consistently proclaimed that "Jesus is Lord" and "Jesus is LORD" but you have did not accept me as having the Holy Spirit. You've even seemed been quite belligerent at times. So if I proclaim "Jesus is Lord" (which I have ever since I touched this thread) and then you oppose me, you are then denying the Holy Spirit. Do you understand the conundrum?

Because of the inherent contradiction I think you may not be applying that verse correctly. You can disagree with me if you like, but (in the process of disagreeing) you'd be disagreeing with the Holy Spirit. Unless you too claim "Jesus is Lord" and then we have the Holy Spirit disagreeing with the Holy Spirit. Which destroys the argument again, leading back to "I think you may not be applying that verse correctly."

Love and Peace,
-Rosenritter

Lon

Interesting...your version doesn't have "I am the Christ" in quotes.... :think:

CherubRam

[FONT="][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2:27&version=NIV"]Acts 2:27[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT="]because [B]you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead[/B], you will not let your holy one see decay.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+13:35&version=NIV"]Acts 13:35[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT="]So it is also stated elsewhere: [B]“‘You will not let your holy one see decay.” [/B][/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="][URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2:32&version=NIV"]Acts 2:32[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT="]God has raised this Yahshua to life[/FONT][/B][FONT="], and we are all witnesses of it.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Acts 13:34[/FONT]
[FONT="]God raised him from the dead[/FONT][/B][FONT="] so that he will never be subject to decay. As God has said, “‘I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David.’ [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Ephesians 2:6[/FONT]
[FONT="]And God raised us up with Christ[/FONT][/B][FONT="] and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]

God can not die.

Rosenritter

For Keypurr,

Psalm 24:3-5 KJV
Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord ? or who shall stand in his holy place? [4] He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. [5] He shall receive the blessing from the Lord , and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

Who is it talking about in this passage?

Lon

It's just standard King James. The quote marks would be interpretive rather than from the Greek text.

Would a false-prophet says "He is the Christ." ? :think: They 'come in His name' apparently. Cults all have started with leaders exactly this way saying "I am the prophet, messiah, deliverer, teacher." Not too many saying 'He is the Christ' but surely they have said "I am like Him in the same way." A good many in this thread that deny His deity also proclaim the same. There is no sense that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Messiah if he is no different or not very much different than you and I.

daqq

Interesting. So considering everyone on this thread has been saying Jesus is Lord then all of us were of the Holy Spirit, right? We should take care how we answer each other then.

Consider that those who say "Jesus is Christ" and deceive many may not be perfectly sincere about Jesus being Lord. At least not in the practical sense.

No, it is not.
Mark 13:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(13:6) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am [Christ]; and shall deceive many.

Basically this verse means "coming in my authority and claiming to be me".

It seems that you have behaved differently with your actions. I have consistently proclaimed that "Jesus is Lord" and "Jesus is LORD" but you have did not accept me as having the Holy Spirit. You've even seemed been quite belligerent at times. So if I proclaim "Jesus is Lord" (which I have ever since I touched this thread) and then you oppose me, you are then denying the Holy Spirit. Do you understand the conundrum?

Because of the inherent contradiction I think you may not be applying that verse correctly. You can disagree with me if you like, but (in the process of disagreeing) you'd be disagreeing with the Holy Spirit. Unless you too claim "Jesus is Lord" and then we have the Holy Spirit disagreeing with the Holy Spirit. Which destroys the argument again, leading back to "I think you may not be applying that verse correctly."

Love and Peace,
-Rosenritter

Interesting...your version doesn't have "I am the Christ" in quotes.... :think:

Would a false-prophet says "He is the Christ." ? :think: They 'come in His name' apparently. Cults all have started with leaders exactly this way saying "I am the prophet, messiah, deliverer, teacher." Not too many saying 'He is the Christ' but surely they have said "I am like Him in the same way." A good many in this thread that deny His deity also proclaim the same. There is no sense that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Messiah if he is no different or not very much different than you and I.

This has been addressed elsewhere and all three of you do exactly what the text says, that is, you come in his name claiming that he is "I AM", and you are deceived by the many of your own teachers and you likewise foment the continuance of the deception of many. For that is exactly what the text says regardless of how Trinity biased translators prefer to leave out words and render their corrupt English renditions of the text.

The Master says:
"For many shall come in my name saying that I AM; and they shall deceive many."

Consider just this, which old familiar topic has already been pushed herein by the Trinitarians with the so-called great "I AM" statement from John 8:58. But what happens in the following accounts from Mark 13 and Luke 21 if we take a certain instance of ego eimi and render the actual statements for what they actually say in the negative manner in which the Master delivers them? He says "Many shall come in my name saying THAT I AM, and they shall deceive many." Is that not exactly what we see right here in this thread? and in a plethora of constant other threads whenever and wherever this topic is brought up? There are MANY running around IN THE NAME OF JESUS/YESHUA claiming that he is I AM, just as he said they would do. Could this be a hidden reason why the scholars do not render "hoti" in the following critical passages? Why does it always go untranslated in these two instances? Why is it always OMITTED from the words of the Master? Is it not then because if indeed they rendered the passages for what they truly say then the entire meaning of the statements would be reversed and their own three fingers would then be pointing right back at themselves?

Mark 13:6 Textus Receptus
6 πολλοι γαρ ελευσονται επι τω ονοματι μου λεγοντες
οτι εγω ειμι και πολλους πλανησουσιν

Luke 21:8 Textus Receptus
8 ο δε ειπε βλεπετε μη πλανηθητε πολλοι γαρ ελευσονται επι τω ονοματι μου λεγοντες
οτι εγω ειμι και ο καιρος ηγγικε μη ουν πορευθητε οπισω αυτων

"πολλοι γαρ ελευσονται επι τω ονοματι μου λεγοντες
οτι εγω ειμι και πολλους πλανησουσιν"
"For many shall come in my name saying
that I AM; and they shall deceive many."

See what has happened here? Omit G3754 ὅτι, (hoti, "that"), and insert commas at will, and suddenly, wallah!, this key of the kingdom is hidden from the eyes of the reader. They therefore do no differently than their own fathers, the Pharisees, Sadducs, and Scribes. At the same time they go about in the name of Yeshua proclaiming that he is I AM, and deceiving many, just as he said they would do. And if you do not agree with them and their "church fathers" then you must be a lost heretic on your way to hell. :chuckle:

PS -- In addition, if anyone ever did come in the name of Messiah, and also claiming to be the Messiah, how many people would he fool? The answer is very few, or NONE, and especially not in a place like this. Therefore you also nullify and make void this statement of the Master by way of your very own corrupt translations of the passage! :chuckle:

Lon

This has been addressed elsewhere and all three of you do exactly what the text says, that is, you come in his name claiming that he is "I AM", and you are deceived by the many of your own teachers and you likewise foment the continuance of the deception of many. For that is exactly what the text says regardless of how Trinity biased translators prefer to leave out words and render their corrupt English renditions of the text.
:doh: :nono: This is amateur hour again on your part. You are prognosticating your ignorance in favor of your pet cult understanding. All cults are shallow. God can reach through the dross of ignorance, but try to do your part and follow His leading. Pray for guidance. Ask Him if perhaps I'm right and you are wrong on this point. I can show, academically, that I'm correct, given half a trust. This passage is talking about false-teachers whose prediction/prophecies and teaching are blatantly wrong. How do we know? Because Jesus says they will deceive about the end-times, specifically. EVERY cult that has predicted an end time is to be treated as false prophets and false ministries. The old way to handle a false prophet was to eliminate them. We don't do that today, but it is a deal breaker.
The Master says:
"For many shall come in my name saying that I AM; and they shall deceive many." Matthew 24:5
Yep. We are discussing whether the Lord was meaning the person would say "He is the Christ" or "I [the speaker] am the Christ/Messiah," because English translation has given indication both ways. The KJV to mean "He is the Christ" of others referring to the Lord Jesus Christ, and others like the ESV saying that the person coming is claiming to be the Christ. Again, in history, we have examples of both. Not an easy passage then in that light and it certainly is evidenced both ways.
"οτι" is a conjunction with a simple tie-in "this leads or is connected to that." Saying "He is the Christ," in your mind, equates to "He is I AM?" :think: Interesting... He IS the Christ. Game, set, match?

PS -- In addition, if anyone ever did come in the name of Messiah, and also claiming to be the Messiah, how many people would he fool? The answer is very few, or NONE, and especially not in a place like this. Therefore you also nullify and make void this statement of the Master by way of your very own corrupt translations of the passage! :chuckle:
:nono: You haven't been paying attention. Mormons? no? Rutherford Hayes? David Koresh? Jim Jones? etc. etc.
Not only that, Rosen was agreeing with you :doh: Again, we have evidence/record of both occurring. The main point of the passage again is about not being deceived, regardless if they are coming in their own name, or the name of the Lord Jesus as the Christ.

Last edited:

daqq

:doh: :nono: This is amateur hour again on your part. You are prognosticating your ignorance in favor of your pet cult understanding. All cults are shallow. God can reach through the dross of ignorance, but try to do your part and follow His leading. Pray for guidance. Ask Him if perhaps I'm right and you are wrong on this point. I can show, academically, that I'm correct, given half a trust. This passage is talking about false-teachers whose prediction/prophecies and teaching are blatantly wrong. How do we know? Because Jesus says they will deceive about the end-times, specifically. EVERY cult that has predicted an end time is to be treated as false prophets and false ministries. The old way to handle a false prophet was to eliminate them. We don't do that today, but it is a deal breaker.

Yep. We are discussing whether the Lord was meaning the person would say "He is the Christ" or "I [the speaker] am the Christ/Messiah," because English translation has given indication both ways. The KJV to mean "He is the Christ" of others referring to the Lord Jesus Christ, and others like the ESV saying that the person coming is claiming to be the Christ. Again, in history, we have examples of both. Not an easy passage then in that light and it certainly is evidenced both ways.
"οτι" is a conjunction with a simple tie-in "this leads or is connected to that." Saying "He is the Christ," in your mind, equates to "He is I AM?" :think: Interesting... He IS the Christ. Game, set, match?

:nono: You haven't been paying attention. Mormons? no? Rutherford Hayes? David Koresh? Jim Jones? etc. etc.
Not only that, Rosen was agreeing with you :doh: Again, we have evidence/record of both occurring. The main point of the passage again is about not being deceived, regardless if they are coming in their own name, or the name of the Lord Jesus as the Christ.

Was Rosen agreeing with me? I think not so either let Rosen speak for Rosen or show how what you say is true. However I doubt you will be capable of doing that because it does not appear that you even understood what I said to begin with. I already know what the excuse is for leaving out "hoti" which is that sometimes it is used to denote a quotation. However that too is mere speculation on the part of translators and arbitrary when it comes to deciding where and when. In addition you also ignored the fact that your interpretation of the passage essentially negates what it actually says. Just because you might have seen a few on TV like Jim Jones it is still nothing, a drop in the bucket, compared to the billion-plus mainstream Christians running around doing exactly what the passage says they would do: coming in the name of Yeshua and claiming that he is "I AM" just as you yourself do. Forty thousand dollars to be brainwashed and you are the one still playing amateur hour. :chuckle:

CherubRam

Yahwah states that He alone is God, and that there is no other. If God was a trinity He would not have stated that He alone is God, but He would have said, "we alone are God."

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yahwah states that He alone is God, and that there is no other. If God was a trinity He would not have stated that He alone is God, but He would have said, "we alone are God."

If what you say is so, explain the following

John 17:11 New King James Version (NKJV)

11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me,[a] that they may be one as We are.

John 17:21 New King James Version (NKJV)

21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

John 10:30 New King James Version (NKJV)

30 I and My Father are one.”

Rosenritter

Was Rosen agreeing with me? I think not so either let Rosen speak for Rosen or show how what you say is true. However I doubt you will be capable of doing that because it does not appear that you even understood what I said to begin with. I already know what the excuse is for leaving out "hoti" which is that sometimes it is used to denote a quotation. However that too is mere speculation on the part of translators and arbitrary when it comes to deciding where and when. In addition you also ignored the fact that your interpretation of the passage essentially negates what it actually says. Just because you might have seen a few on TV like Jim Jones it is still nothing, a drop in the bucket, compared to the billion-plus mainstream Christians running around doing exactly what the passage says they would do: coming in the name of Yeshua and claiming that he is "I AM" just as you yourself do. Forty thousand dollars to be brainwashed and you are the one still playing amateur hour. :chuckle:

I think Daqq was agreeing with me with respect to as to whether the passage was saying that the false teachers would say "I am Christ" or acknowledge Jesus as Christ. In this respect you agreed with me, as I agreed with my King James translation over whichever one had inserted quotation marks around "I am Christ."

Daqq, may I call your attention to something for a moment? The passage is repeated three times in the gospels, including Matthew 24:5, Mark 13:6, and Luke 21:8. The passage in Matthew has the words "I am Christ"

ἐγώ εἰμί Χριστός

Thus it is not unreasonable to assume that the meaning of the gospel authors Mark and Luke is that "I am" refers to the assumed subject of "Christ" using the multiple gospels to confirm intent. Now, far be it for me to dispute that Jesus is "I AM" as is translated in John 8:58.

Joh 8:57-59 KJV
(57) Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
(58) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
(59) Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

The statement really doesn't have much sense in that context otherwise. From their reaction apparently the Jews understood Jesus to have that meaning as well.

Regardless, you cannot make Mark and Luke say "I AM" without contradicting the gospel of Matthew, and even if you were to do that then I don't see how you could somehow make John NOT say "I AM" which contradicts your premise that it is a false gospel to recognize Jesus as our same LORD who spoke to Moses.

Reactions: Lon