All Things Second Amendment

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Tytler focused on Athenian democracy. He shows how it died internally before it died externally. Both authors studied all democracies and republics. They all decayed.

You might say, "MODERN democracy is different!". But we see the same symptoms from the same human nature as all the democracies (and republics) that have come before us. Why is doing the same thing going to turn out differently this time?

Any student of history who stayed awake in class knows that the modern democracy second in age to ours, the land of "liberté, égalité, fraternité" is now on its fifth "Republic"

And most modern democracies are the consequence of the end of WW1, in Europe, and then again after WW2

Then there's the German political system in the mid 20th century to consider

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any student of history who stayed awake in class knows that the modern democracy second in age to ours, the land of "liberté, égalité, fraternité" is now on its fifth "Republic"

And most modern democracies are the consequence of the end of WW1, in Europe, and then again after WW2

Then there's the German political system in the mid 20th century to consider
And there's a pretty good argument that says the United States should count its current democracy beginning at the Civil War

Right Divider

Body part
And there's a pretty good argument that says the United States should count its current democracy beginning at the Civil War
The civil war era was when the original idea of the United States ended and the mercantilism system started.... which morphed into the current corporatism that we live under.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And then there's the Russian "democracy", the Italian unworkable-mess-of-a-so-called democracy...

and Greece :nono:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The civil war era was when the original idea of the United States ended and the mercantilism system started.... which morphed into the current corporatism that we live under.

So you believe that mercantilism didn't exist prior to the Civil war? Or Corporatism? I beg to differ, the free market capitalistic system which is exactly what the founders envisioned is exactly what we have today albeit the money is in fewer hands now because of size & conglomeration of many smaller companies over time. However even today any person that has a better mousetrap is a threat to even the largest conglomerate. Look at Jeff Bezos, he was just a middle class kid with an idea for an online bookstore...now the richest man on the planet and his ideas of different things keep him growing, same for most of the tech business'...they have all but, destroyed brick & mortar conglomerates such as Sears or Kmart. Nothing magical happened because of the civil war, what we have seen is the natural order of capitalism in a free society...anyone with the drive & a good idea can do it.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And then there's the Russian "democracy", the Italian unworkable-mess-of-a-so-called democracy...

and Greece :nono:
New Zealand's response to 51 unarmed people being murdered was to disarm thousands more. The homos in Taiwan recently ruled that men can marry other men.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tytler focused on Athenian democracy.
And good on him. I'm focusing on modern democratic models and noting that the gun laws I advocate have made populations safer without sacrificing civil liberty or establishing tyranny.

Don't forget, if guns are ever taken, they are never given back.
Actually there was a ban on some before and it lapsed. Those guns came back. That said, I'd hope a better series of laws and the recognition of the citizenry that would go something like, "You know what we haven't had much of in a long while? A schoolyard, church, park, concert, etc., turned into a shooting gallery...getting rid of those ARs was a great idea."

Even for a thousand years. But if we have those guns when it does happen, even in 1000 years, then there will be less bloodshed.
Who knows what anything will look like in a thousand years. But I'm all for saving lives in the next thousand days. A thing we can and should do, because there's just no rational point to not doing it.

You don't understand what an elitist is.
Sure I do. And quit telling me I'm ignorant, you elitist you. :eek:

And there it is. An elitist isn't defined as someone who judges.
Thank goodness I didn't set that out as a definition then...but an elitist necessarily judges himself and/or his group superior to others.

It's someone who won't listen to reasonable arguments people he believes to be his lessors.
Now you're just making it up, which is funny given your attempt at complaint.

Such as doubling down when you were shown to have weak statistics.
I know you believe that's what happened. I accept that you genuinely believe that happened. And it makes me a little sad that you believe that happened, because it didn't.

Great, so if we all keep our guns and use them only for self defense you will take the punishment for us if the prosecutor doesn't use his discretion. Excuse me if I'm not reassured. :rolleyes:
What Yor did was try to cobble the worst possible case for prosecuting someone for having a weapon they understand is illegal to keep and then confuse the response to that scenario with the way the rule should look.

A law that doesn't allow for mitigation in recognition of exceptional circumstances isn't much of a law. I doubt a prosecutor would do more than confiscate the weapon and have her plea for probation.

Unless the quiet enjoyment of someone's property is declared illegal. Then it should be interrupted by the state in order to save lives. I'm just following your logic.
The state may, for a legitimate reason, interrupt your possession of property, may work restraints on the exercise of right, but the level of scrutiny is extraordinary.

And also, wherever guns are registered the authorities are allowed to go into homes according to your logic, because they will have probable cause.
Wait. So your hypothetical involves someone who registers a weapon he knows is illegal? Because both of those would be coming in together, law wise. :plain: Okay, morons will absolutely run into trouble.

No. I said rape. Try again.
I know what you said. I answered on that already. I was trying to make your position more of a parallel.

In that case that woman can avoid rape by accepting the money.
I'm just not going to legitimize the idea that rape is in any meaningful sense an appropriate parallel here.

You've yet to show any surety of a positive effect.
Australia says otherwise. So does every European democracy.

Not only will there be more death when you take away innocent people's guns used for defense,
False premise. I'm not denying anyone the ability to defend themselves with a weapon. I'm denying the rationality of suggesting that an AR should be that weapon.

You said the guns you were confiscating were a small percentage.
I haven't argued for confiscating guns at all.

But semi-autos, by conservative estimates, are 40%-60% of guns in circulation.
Well, we're speaking about ARs, though I'd like to see all semi-automatics off the shelves. And ARs aren't anything like that as a portion of the market.

If you want to claim you are only confiscating AR or AK style guns, then whatever defines them will be changed to whatever semi-auto is allowed.
And yet we did a bit of it without that happening before and for a while. No, it's not really that hard to define the size of magazines and the particulars of a semi-automatic rifle. And if you try to affix a stock to a semi-automatic pistol you'd be violating a law that was written tightly enough.

Which brings up your high-cap magazine ban. Since magazines are trivial to store, easy to forget about, and can even be 3D printed, it puts a large burden on innocent people.
Not owning, buying, or manufacturing a thing isn't really a burden, unless you're very, very sensitive.

Jesus talked about people like you when He said, "They pile heavy burdens on people's shoulders and won't lift a finger to help."
Using Jesus to project a judgment that's false as it stands. I'm more than willing to do my part, beginning with argument.

If not doing what you just attempted to do with our shared faith makes me an elitist I'll take it.

Beyond that, as soon as there is another mass shooting, with let's say, a shotgun like the one used in the naval yard shooting, then we are back with your same argument to reduce innocent people down to breech loaders.
The reasonable line will always be an ongoing conversation, but you can't abrogate the right without a Convention, and the weapon you just noted isn't going to meet the criteria that would make it bannable as things sit, without that Amendment.

Since you admit the clock is ticking on innocent people
Rather, I note that the gun lobby is frantically trying to get enough of these to market and in enough hands to try and thwart an argument that can be made against them using precedent.

, you should probably stop calling respected scholars like Tytler and Mendenhall paranoid fanatics.
I believe I'm calling people like you, who use them to your ends the way you used Christ a moment ago, fanatics. Jesus is fine with me.

So you are saying the context is your personal opinion on what is "fast".
No. You said that.

You realize that bump stocks can now be 3D printed?
You realize that meth can be made in a kitchen?

Meaning criminals get them but innocent people are turned into criminals who have them.
The thing we're most impacting isn't in the furtherance of a larger criminal enterprise, but toward an end that is the entirety of the crime.

Guns that don't belong in the public will be considered dangerous. If the government knows in who's house a dangerous thing is, they have an obligation to go into the house to get it.
Addressed multiple times. You need probable cause. A person who isn't a complete imbecile isn't going to hold onto the weapon AND tell the police they have it. After the fact, they're going to find purchasing one problematic.

The question remains. How does taking guns from innocent people stop crazy people?
It stops them from easily putting hands on an AR. That's mitigating the damage. We don't know who these crazy people are until they act. Unless you want mental health examinations coupled with gun training courses, or at least red flag potential as a universal.

Sure, but you laughing at little people is mean.
On the odd chance anyone else read that attempt by Yor to alter the context and present something other than my actual sentiment on the point:
Yeah, laughing at the little people is one of the favorite things elitists do.
Everyone enjoys a laugh. I enjoy laughing at you trying to repeatedly slap the elitist label on people you're judging yourself superior to.

Your claim that semi-autos are a needless risk to public safety has been shown to be wrong according to the data.
All actual evidence to the contrary. They only do one thing better than weapons that can't do that one thing, it being to kill and injure a great many people in an extremely short window of time.

We don't need that weapon to do anything. It is extraordinary in the danger it presents. It is not in the common use. And it should be withdrawn from the stream of commerce.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
New Zealand's response to 51 unarmed people being murdered was to disarm thousands more.

Because that course of action somehow will quell violence from law abiding weapon owners? Similarly they have confiscated all guns in the UK, now knives are the weapon of choice, so they ban knives as if that will solve the problem. The misunderstanding is that it isn't a weapon problem, be it a gun or knife but, a people problem, and that seems to be either what escapes them or the problem they are unwilling to tackle. What was that definition for insanity again?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know you believe that's what happened. I accept that you genuinely believe that happened. And it makes me a little sad that you believe that happened, because it didn't.

:darwinsm:

This dude loves declaring things, huh?

A law that doesn't allow for mitigation in recognition of exceptional circumstances isn't much of a law.

:rotfl:

A law is by definition inviolate.

There's no hope for you ever understanding what the law is or what it is for if you can't even get simple definitions right.

Australia says otherwise. So does every European democracy.
When you ban guns, shooting incidents drop.

I haven't argued for confiscating guns at all.

So your regulations are to be enforced with flowery language?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A law is by definition inviolate.
You've already established firmly that you don't understand our laws or their application, but I appreciate your willingness to double down on the point.

When you ban guns, shooting incidents drop.
Sure. And when you ban a particular sort of gun, one distinguished by a capacity that is contrary to public safety, an uncommon and uncommonly dangerous weapon, you'll reduce the likelihood of the sort of mass shootings the public has been rightly horrified to witness in aftermath, from Sandy Hook, to Las Vegas, from chapel to synagogue, to mosque.

So your regulations are to be enforced with flowery language?
I already answered on the point. See: attrition, motivation, and probable cause.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because that course of action somehow will quell violence from law abiding weapon owners?
Why don't you leave your car running and your doors unlocked when you go to the grocery store?

Similarly they have confiscated all guns in the UK, now knives are the weapon of choice
Actually, the gun laws in the UK aren't a recent thing and neither is knife use. The spike in that is primarily in cities among the young. That's in large part accompanying a marked decrease in police stop and searches.

But if you want to compare homicides and rates between the countries that have had these laws in place for generations and us, I'm game. That's a great idea whose outcome you will not find favorable.

, so they ban knives as if that will solve the problem.
Can't be done. But you can ban the weapon of choice of late for evil men who want to see how many kids, parishioners, Jews, blacks, or concert goers they can take down before they're stopped. That we can do and we should do.

The misunderstanding is that it isn't a weapon problem, be it a gun or knife but, a people problem, and that seems to be either what escapes them or the problem they are unwilling to tackle. What was that definition for insanity again?
Insanity is in doing nothing. Insanity is in believing we can cure human nature of the thing that breeds evil men. Sanity is doing the good you can do instead of arguing that if we can't do every we shouldn't do any.

You don't really believe that anyway. You just pretend to when it comes to guns.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You've already established firmly that you don't understand our laws or their application, but I appreciate your willingness to double down on the point.

And you have established quite firmly that you clearly do not understand the concept (or at least ignore it) of absolute law, which is what we're talking about.

Until you understand that we're talking about absolutes, and not one particular nation's laws, AND not continue to try to move the goalposts to "one specific nation's laws," we're simply talking past each other, and there's honestly no sense continuing the discussion.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And you have established quite firmly that you clearly do not understand the concept (or at least ignore it) of absolute law, which is what we're talking about. Until you understand that we're talking about absolutes, and not one particular nation's laws...
With all due respect, JR, this thread is a continuation of the conversation I was having with Idol, and my topic remains and is singularly concerned with this country's laws and response to the problem posed by an unusual and dangerous weapon.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've already established firmly that you don't understand our laws or their application.

It's already been pointed out to you that things like justice and freedom are universal values.

Pretending that the US has some kind of monopoly on what is right is pure racism and elitism, but I appreciate your willingness to double down on the point.

And if you're just talking about the regulations in the US, tell us what you would apply and make the case that such things should be universal.

When you ban a particular sort of gun, one distinguished by a capacity that is contrary to public safety, an uncommon and uncommonly dangerous weapon, you'll reduce the likelihood of the sort of mass shootings the public has been rightly horrified to witness in aftermath, from Sandy Hook, to Las Vegas, from chapel to synagogue, to mosque.

We know.

Now address the challenges you face.

I already answered on the point.

Your answers are not backed by anything that would motivate us to shift from the truth.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why don't you leave your car running and your doors unlocked when you go to the grocery store?

Because there are thieves around.

Why don't we practice proper gun control?

Because liberals have banned them all.

If you want to compare homicides and rates between the countries that have had these laws in place for generations and us, I'm game. That's a great idea whose outcome you will not find favorable.

When you ban guns, nobody can use them (except criminals).

Insanity is in doing nothing.

Name one person who advocates doing nothing.

Insanity is in believing we can cure human nature of the thing that breeds evil men.

Name one person who has advocated this course of action.

Sanity is doing the good you can do instead of arguing that if we can't do every we shouldn't do any.

Name one person who has advocated this line of thinking.

Three challenges, no quotes in response.

You don't really believe that anyway. You just pretend to when it comes to guns.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
... if you're just talking about the regulations in the US, tell us what you would apply and make the case that such things should be universal.
I've spoken directly to what I believe the law should be applied in relation to the precedent that would allow for it, and why of that, the necessity of it. The rest is of no interest to me, since I have no chance of impacting laws in your country or any other. I only note likened democracies to illustrate that the solution to our problem is readily found there, among some differing models and ideas, the worst of which does far better at safeguarding their citizens.

Now if you fellas want to have some larger conversation a little off the OP it won't offend me, but again, it doesn't interest me either.

Your answers are not backed by anything that would motivate us to shift from the truth.
You perfectly illustrate your problem in that declaration. Have a good one. :cheers:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
With all due respect, JR, this thread is a continuation of the conversation I was having with Idol, and my topic remains and is singularly concerned with this country's laws and response to the problem posed by an unusual and dangerous weapon.
Then stop replying to me with nonsense that does nothing to add to the discussion.

Learn some respect for opposing viewpoints or butt out.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've spoken directly to what I believe the law should be applied in relation to the precedent that would allow for it, and why of that, the necessity of it.

Yes, you've used a lot of words.

The rest is of no interest to me,

Then butt out of the conversation.

I have no chance of impacting laws in your country or any other.

:AMR:

Since when was that a consideration?

I only note likened democracies to illustrate that the solution to our problem is readily found there, among some differing models and ideas, the worst of which does far better at safeguarding their citizens.

Using laughable statistical analyses and emotionalism.

If you fellas want to have some larger conversation a little off the OP it won't offend me, but again, it doesn't interest me either.

Then butt out. As you've appealed to Idol:

I ... take exception in that you cite US law as the basis for the right to self defense. If that were all that backs your ideas, it would leave us "foreigners" high and dry.

No, I never do that. The right to bear arms is inalienable. All people possess it inherently. [National regulations] either recognizes, affirms, protects, defends, etc. the right, or it does not. Laws that do not recognize, affirm, protect, defend, etc., the right are bad laws.
You all foreigners are still people, right? National borders do not change inalienable rights.

Your problem perfectly illustrated.

Bye. :loser:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only happened in your imagination.

You've been told numerous times that things like justice and liberty are universal values.

If it's my imagination you're reading instead of my words, it explains why you're so hopeless at simple comprehension.

Word salad.

It's actually a perfectly sensible sentence and the basis of a productive discussion. That you would offer contrariness in response only exposes your poor attitude.