Are You Qualified to be the Executioner?

genuineoriginal

That's true. She was "caught in the act" Guilty as charged....but that wasn't the question posed to Jesus, for him to declare guilt or innocence.

Jesus' answer to them was to tell them to do what the law said to do if they are willing to judge someone else for breaking the law.

drbrumley

No, again

John 8:4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

Not sure what translation you are using...

NKJV says

3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?”

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Mine was kjv

But in both translations, they weren't asking him to declare her guilt or innocence - they had already assumed it

ok doser

Um, gonna have to disagree on them assuming it..she was caught in the act......guilt she provided.

sorry brum - i can't make myself clear on my handheld - those who caught her in the act were satisfied that she was guilty. The Law had stricter requirements to satisfy.

but to get back to the passage:

nkjv
john 8:5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?”

they weren't asking Him whether she was guilty or innocent, they were asking Him to contradict the Law of Moses so that they might have something with which to accuse Him

ok doser

Judge Rightly is mistaken in saying she was was found innocent due to lack of witnesses.
Jesus said she lacked the witnesses needed to condemn her.

right, in effect she was found not guilty, or as is used in some british commmonwealth law, not proven

it's a distinction between guilt and innocence

eta: google indicates that its a Scots term, but I believe I've seen it elsewhere

could be what I'm remembering was archaic usages :idunno:

genuineoriginal

That's your interpretation of it...
What does the Law say about what is needed to condemn anyone for breaking the commandments?

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.​

What did Jesus ask about?

John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?​