Should Children Be Executed If They've...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, my "preparedness" to do something that I advocate has nothing to do with whether it should be done or not.
It does, absent physical impairment, for the reason offered priorl

You both are making a number of logical fallacies with this argument. Please stop.
Name them and support them. This is just hand waving. Please start arguing your case.

marhig

You can remove your thanks by visiting my post on the desktop site and clicking on the "remove thanks" button.

Why? Because you say so?

You're making an appeal to emotion. That's a fallacious argument.

The Bible clearly outlines which criminals should be put to death for their crimes. The Bible is also God's Word, in case you had forgotten.

Therefore, God outlines who should be executed for their crimes. Who are you to go against Him?

That's not what God's word, the Bible says. The Bible says that people who commit capital crimes should be executed, regardless of their age.

Again, this is an emotional argument, not a logical, and certainly not Biblical, one.
It amazes me how people say that the laws of the old testament are abolished, until it suits them!

As I said earlier, Jesus said those without sin cast the first stone!

marhig

The opposite of "natural" is not "spiritual."

The opposite of "natural" is "unnatural."

The laws given to Israel that were intended ONLY for Israel (such as the dietary laws) are both natural AND spiritual laws. They have a natural application and a spiritual one, but ONLY for Israel. Not for any other people.

Jesus never repealed the death penalty, no, not even when the "adulteress" was brought before him.

The only logical conclusion to this argument is that no one should be punished ever for committing any crime at all.

God knows that man is sinful, and yet He still expects justice to be dealt to those who break the law. If someone steals, He expects restitution. If someone harms someone physically, He expects corporal punishment. If someone if someone murders or commits adultery, He expects the death penalty.

God's ways are just, loving, and merciful, and if there's any conflict in what a man believes with what He says, let God be true and every man a liar.

The death penalty is merciful. It shows mercy to the victims, while at the same time punishing the guilty. By excluding the death penalty from punishments for crime, you show mercy to the criminal, while punishing the innocent for being victims.

Exodus 22:2, Deuteronomy 17:7, and Acts 25:11 prove you to be wrong, and there are plenty more verses like those.

Stoning is just one form of punishment that could be used.

There's also...

Old Sparky (electric chair)
Old Rusty (lethal injection with no anaesthetic (also no reason to clean the needle))
Old Stabby (knife for stabbing to death)
Old Knotty (hangman's noose)
Firing Squad
Pit (or pool) full of hungry animals (such as piranhas, lions, wolves, etc)
Burned at the stake (appropriate for arsonists)
Thrown off a cliff (used in B.E.'s book The First Five Days for abortionists convicted of murder)
Spacing (or "airlocking", useful for capital criminals in space or deep underwater)
And of course, guillotine.

More appeals to emotion.

If a child commits a capital crime, he should be put to death. If he does not commit a capital crime, he should not be put to death. It's as simple as that.

The Law applies equally to all men, women, and children.

It's perfectly fine to kill someone who is trying to kill you or another innocent person if it's the only way to stop them, and it's perfectly fine for a government to execute criminals worthy of death.
It's right to do whatever we have to do at the time of being attacked to protect our children and families, it's not right to purposely kill people.

Jesus taught us to love our enemies, do good to those that hate us, bless those that curse us and pray for those who dispitefully use us. He didn't teach us to kill others. If people do wicked acts then they should be put away for life, and in cases of murdering children life should mean life.

Ian Brady, the Moors murderer killed many children, and he was imprisoned for life, but he wanted to die because he knew that he'd never get out again. He suffered more by living a life in prison than being put to death. Anyone who harms a child should be locked away and they shouldn't have an easy life in prison either. And they shouldn't be let out on parole.

genuineoriginal

It seems as though certain people think that children as young as six (and possibly younger) should face the same sentences as fully grown adults.

1929: Carl Newton Mahan, murderer at six

Carl and Cecil were looking for pieces of scrap iron to sell and make some money.

Carl found one but Cecil snatched it from him and then hit him. Carl then run home, got on top of a chair, took the gun that his father held above the door and went back to Cecil.

When he saw his friend he yelled, “Now I’m going to shoot you!” Then he pressed the trigger. Cecil died and Carl became one of the youngest killers in history.

2000: Boy, 6, Accused in Classmate's Killing

A 6-year-old boy sneaked a loaded handgun into a crowded elementary school here today and shot a classmate to death early this morning in front of a large group of first-grade students, said police officials here.

The police said that they did not know the motive for shooting but that they recovered a stolen .32-caliber semiautomatic handgun at the scene and took the boy into protective custody.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I see your "death penalty is the problem"
Then you're seeing things.

The problem WITH the DP is that it puts innocent people to death, a thing we have no right to do. Fortunately, we don't have to do that to protect society or punish the guilty (so far as we know them to be). And if we get it wrong and that wrong is proven we can recompense to some extent the wrongfully convicted and held.

and raise you "no, it is the lawyers that are the problem".
That's not raising the bar, that's lowering the argument to an absurd play at popular misconception and irrationality. But hey, you go with what you have left, eh?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It amazes me how people say that the laws of the old testament are abolished, until it suits them!

It doesn't amaze me that you would make such an accusation.

Marhig, please provide scripture that shows the death penalty to be repealed that, when taken at face value, does not conflict with other scriptures taken at face value.

As I said earlier, Jesus said those without sin cast the first stone!

I'm going to refer you to this post, where I would like you to read through GO's, Stripe's, and my arguments why Jesus saying that did not repeal the death penalty.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_pid=5271673&share_fid=4230&share_type=t

In a nutshell:

Jesus said "go and sin no more" because "by two or three witnesses a matter shall be established, and since there were no witnesses remaining to accuse the woman, she would have been found innocent according to the law.

marhig

Why are you so reticent to answer? You not only advocate that children as young as six should be put to death but you've described a case where it would even be appropriate for the form of execution to be by stabbing. So why don't you step up to the plate and acknowledge that you would be prepared to do as you advocate and be the one who would be prepared to knife a "child criminal" as young as six to their death?

Someone would have to do it after all? What's the matter, getting a bit uncomfortable for you all of a sudden? I don't advocate such barbarism and frankly, it would take someone with an absolutely psychopathic personality to even entertain the thought of plunging a knife into a child to kill them. But someone would have to in order for your idea of "justice" to be carried out wouldn't they?

:plain:
I totally agree!!!

Arthur Brain

1929: Carl Newton Mahan, murderer at six

Carl and Cecil were looking for pieces of scrap iron to sell and make some money.

Carl found one but Cecil snatched it from him and then hit him. Carl then run home, got on top of a chair, took the gun that his father held above the door and went back to Cecil.

When he saw his friend he yelled, “Now I’m going to shoot you!” Then he pressed the trigger. Cecil died and Carl became one of the youngest killers in history.

2000: Boy, 6, Accused in Classmate's Killing

A 6-year-old boy sneaked a loaded handgun into a crowded elementary school here today and shot a classmate to death early this morning in front of a large group of first-grade students, said police officials here.

The police said that they did not know the motive for shooting but that they recovered a stolen .32-caliber semiautomatic handgun at the scene and took the boy into protective custody.

Did you have a point to make? Otherwise, would you be one who was willing to kill a six year old child if you advocate the DP for children?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jesus said "go and sin no more" because "by two or three witnesses a matter shall be established, and since there were no witnesses remaining to accuse the woman, she would have been found innocent according to the law.
Marhig, they make Jesus into a trial lawyer getting someone off on the letter of the law while rejecting in that the spirit and point of it.

They never called witnesses. In that same thread you'll find my setting out the approach to witnesses actually called by Jewish law. None of it happened. In fact, forget two or more required for the DP imposition, he gives any one of them license to take a stone and kill the woman provided that person was without sin. That is to say, he robbed them of even the pretense of moral authority. He changed something and I believe he did it intentionally, as a foreshadowing of the fulfillment of the law. The woman was guilty. Jesus, being God, could have served the law by instructing the trap layers in it. He didn't.

Don't believe anyone who says that Christ did something those same people would find reprehensible in a modern courtroom. And make no mistake, if a lawyer got a guilty man or woman off by noting, say, a problem with the chain of evidence that excluded clear and incontrovertible proof of guilt, they wouldn't be defending it...that's what follows if you agree with how they see Jesus in that moment, even if they don't or won't see it.

marhig

It doesn't amaze me that you would make such an accusation.

Marhig, please provide scripture that shows the death penalty to be repealed that, when taken at face value, does not conflict with other scriptures taken at face value.

I'm going to refer you to this post, where I would like you to read through GO's, Stripe's, and my arguments why Jesus saying that did not repeal the death penalty.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_pid=5271673&share_fid=4230&share_type=t

In a nutshell:

So what about loving your enemy, doing good to those that hate you, blessing those who curse you and praying for those who dispitefully use you?

Did Jesus want those who crucified him murdered? Or did he ask God to forgive them?

Killing is of the world, and the world will punish as they see fit. But those of God follow Jesus and he didn't kill anyone, he was full of forgiveness and mercy.

Although I do believe that anyone who commits premeditated murder should have a whole life sentence with no parole and no easy ride.

We are to bring the new and living way of Christ Jesus, and leave judgement to God. He will deal with those who do evil.

Romans 12

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

genuineoriginal

Just a question, and I would like a sincere answer..

Why do we consider it unacceptable for an individual to kill, while at the same time, view State killing as both appropriate and necessary?
The Bible says that the state is responsible for executing the people that do evil.

Romans 13:3-5
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.​

The purpose is to rid the community of evil.

Deuteronomy 21:21
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.​

This purpose is two-fold:
  1. Make the community safer by removing the evil one that is causing harm.
  2. Stop the spread of evil ideas by a display of the consequences of doing evil.