On Cowards and Heroes

chair

sure they can

if they've prepared for it, if they've trained for it, if they're mentally prepared for it

that's why cops, firefighters, emts, military personnel, etc, undergo the training they do so they won't freeze...

yes, that works- to a degree.
Have you had this kind of training?

Greg Jennings

in what way do I act as though I have been in the situation myself?

feel free to use quotes from my posts to support your claim :)

Because you're calling others cowards for their natural instinct for self-preservation. At the same time you are claiming you would act differently, yet by your own admission have actually never been in a similar situation.

I'll ask you again: how do you know how you would react to a gunman scenario without ever having been in one? It's not the same as playing out a hero fantasy in your head

Greg Jennings

...for acting in a cowardly fashion

and proving it with dictionary definitions! :banana:

right, that's part of the point i'm making

in today's selfish society, cowardice is the trained, natural response

quote?

If you are not saying you would do differently, then are you admitting that you are a coward?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
so you can't find a quote with me claiming i would act differently?

dint think you would

Greg Jennings

so you can't find a quote with me claiming i would act differently?

dint think you would

It's called subtext. And it was very clear. Why are you avoiding the question I asked?

If you aren't saying that you would've acted differently, then are you admitting that you are a coward?

The answer to this question will make it abundantly clear exactly what you were saying

Last edited:

ok doser

I would hope that I, or anyone in a similar situation, would act heroically and not sit by quietly while the gunman shoots my classmates

I would hope that, as a society, we end our complacency and stop acting like sheep

Greg Jennings

I would hope that I, or anyone in a similar situation, would act heroically and not sit by quietly while the gunman shoots my classmates

I would hope that, as a society, we end our complacency and stop acting like sheep

Everyone hopes that. Are you willing to admit that you might very well act "cowardly" as these people did?

If so, then I was wrong about what you were claiming.

chair

I know a few people who serve/served in special units. They tend to be very quiet. Not braggarts.

brinny

I haven't followed this on the msm at all, so I'm working from wiki:

contrast the actions of those victims with the following:

in the first case, the victims act as society has trained them to act - as sheep, with the only act of resistance being an attempt to reason with an insane person

in the second case, we have a man who runs toward the danger to confront it and confine it, with no regard for his own safety

This is MOST interesting.

I see your point about cowards.

ok doser

Everyone hopes that. Are you willing to admit that you might very well act "cowardly" as these people did?

i spose anything's possible :idunno:

i do know that we, as a society, will have a easier time discouraging these lunatics if they know they'll meet resistance and not compliance.

Greg Jennings

i spose anything's possible :idunno:

i do know that we, as a society, will have a easier time discouraging these lunatics if they know they'll meet resistance and not compliance.

I understand that sentiment. But calling others cowardly who were in a situation that you yourself cannot even understand being in isn't the way to go about it. Odds are that you, I, and 90+% of everyone out there would be slaves to our own self-preservation instinct and, unless faced with a situation where it wasn't really an option, we'd run

ok doser

... calling others cowardly who were ...

.... acting cowardly?

why sugarcoat it?

call it what it is

those people who sat in that classroom and watched the shooter kill their classmates without trying to stop him were cowards

i even proved it using dictionary definitions! :banana:

Greg Jennings

.... acting cowardly?

why sugarcoat it?

call it what it is

those people who sat in that classroom and watched the shooter kill their classmates without trying to stop him were cowards

i even proved it using dictionary definitions! :banana:

Is a deer who runs from a predator that grabs one of its buddies cowardly? Or is it simply trying to survive?