On Cowards and Heroes

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Gonna need more than that.

nope, that's all i'll share

Could they swim?

i would suspect so

No. Because we have this thing called the "fight or flight response." It's not from society, it's from nature.

blaming nature on our responses doesn't ignore the fact that some people choose to overcome their instinct for self preservation and run toward danger to save others (see Mintz) and some people don't (see "want of courage" aka cowardice)

Greg Jennings

nope, that's all i'll share
Very convincing lie you put together there doser

i would suspect so
So you don't know and didn't bother to find out. Good reporting

blaming nature on our responses doesn't ignore the fact that some people choose to overcome their instinct for self preservation and run toward danger to save others (see Mintz) and some people don't (see "want of courage" aka cowardice)
And you ignore the fact that not everyone (almost none without proper training) has the innate ability to overcome their inborn natural instincts. But I think you know that. You're just being a hard head who wants to call others cowards and convince people he's a big shot who is so brave in the face of danger......on an online forum

ok doser

Very convincing lie you put together there doser

you can believe me or not - your opinion of me matters about this much to me:

Spoiler
8187061351_f7c6513ee2_b.jpg

So you don't know and didn't bother to find out. Good reporting

why would i bother to find out?

we were too busy working on the kid with hypothermia

And you ignore the fact that not everyone (almost none without proper training) has the innate ability to overcome their inborn natural instincts.

everybody has the ability

But I think you know that. You're just being a hard head who wants to call others cowards

not all others

just those who act cowardly

and convince people he's a big shot who is so brave in the face of danger......on an online forum

nope - not trying to convince anybody that i'm a big shot or brave - that's just your frustration showing through

meanwhile, you have done nothing to refute my claim that those who exhibited a "want of courage" were cowards

it's easy to understand why :chuckle:

Greg Jennings

you can believe me or not - your opinion of me matters about this much to me:

Spoiler
8187061351_f7c6513ee2_b.jpg
great. You're not fooling anyone with that particular story

why would i bother to find out?

we were too busy working on the kid with hypothermia
So hold on, you were complaining that more people didn't jump in to save the kid. Why would people jump in to save the kid after someone had already jumped in to save the kid? Think about it

everybody has the ability
Unless it's their own family or friend at risk, I'm afraid that's not always the case

nope - not trying to convince anybody that i'm a big shot or brave - that's just your frustration showing through
Yep. I'm just frustrated by your brilliance here. That must be it

meanwhile, you have done nothing to refute my claim that those who exhibited a "want of courage" were cowards

it's easy to understand why :chuckle:

Except to show that your own definition contradicts you. But don't pay attention to anything that inconveniences your little fantasy. I wouldn't want your vivid imagination tied down. Have you ever considered writing a novel?

Last edited:

ok doser

So hold on, you were complaining that more people didn't jump in to save the kid.

no, i was noting that most people were unable to put aside their concern for their own safety and jump in

are you paying attention?

'cause it sure seems like you're not paying attention

Except to show that your own definition contradicts you.

again, you're not really following along, are you?

those who demonstrate a "want of courage" meet the definition of "coward"

sitting by while your classmates get slaughtered shows a "want of courage"

unless you can show otherwise :idunno:

Greg Jennings

no, i was noting that most people were unable to put aside their concern for their own safety and jump in

are you paying attention?

'cause it sure seems like you're not paying attention
And I'll ask again: why would more than one person jump in?

again, you're not really following along, are you?

those who demonstrate a "want of courage" meet the definition of "coward"

sitting by while your classmates get slaughtered shows a "want of courage"

unless you can show otherwise :idunno:

Maybe in your strange world. But here in reality that's not the case.

Look dude, if you're not going to accept a definition then don't provide it. It's really that simple

ok doser

And I'll ask again: why would more than one person jump in?

:doh:

kinda early to be hitting the bong, ain't it?

Look dude, if you're not going to accept a definition then don't provide it. It's really that simple

so you think that sitting in the classroom while one's fellow students get slaughtered does not show a want of courage?

sitting in the classroom while your fellow students get slaughtered is acting courageously?

Greg Jennings

:doh:

kinda early to be hitting the bong, ain't it?

Nice comeback. It's 8:00 pm here, so no it wouldn't be if I was. Seriously, that was a really effective comeback. Bravo

so you think that sitting in the classroom while one's fellow students get slaughtered does not show a want of courage?

sitting in the classroom while your fellow students get slaughtered is acting courageously?

For the third time: it's the gray area between courage and cowardice called "fear"