"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first."

musterion

Interesting piece, written by a law firm but I hadn't really thought about it this way.

“Don’t talk to law enforcement without consulting a lawyer” is simple advice. Anyone can follow it. Most of us understand why it’s a good idea. But too many people reject the advice because of a common and misplaced fear. It’s the fear that if they don’t return that detective’s call immediately, if they don’t invite the FBI agents at their door in and answer their questions, if they don’t cooperate, they will be seen as the sort of person who wants a lawyer. They will be seen as someone suspicious. They will lose the opportunity to “clear all this up” by “cooperating.”

If I say I want to talk to a lawyer, won’t I make things worse?

No. Almost certainly not.
http://www.brownwhitelaw.com/if-i-j...e-i-can-clear-this-up-the-dangerous-delusion/

Granite

Hall of Fame
Absolutely. Cops aren't your friends in these situations (or most, for that matter) and aren't to be trusted.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
"I did nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, therefore I would be happy to assist you in your investigation Detective."

It's too bad that people go running to shysters instead of making statements like I just did.

musterion

"I did nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, therefore I would be happy to assist you in your investigation Detective."

It's too bad that people go running to shysters instead of making statements like I just did.

Funny. I knew you'd show up but I never expected you to say that.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Interesting piece, written by a law firm but I hadn't really thought about it this way.

http://www.brownwhitelaw.com/if-i-j...e-i-can-clear-this-up-the-dangerous-delusion/
A lawyer can't be there if you get shot or beaten.

A young man in a nearby city was grabbed by a patrolman and thrown into a building where he injured his brain. He is now a mute paraplegic and the officer was acquitted.

He got a lawyer afterwards and got a settlement. But he is not going to go out and party because of it.

By the way, he was doing nothing wrong. But not according to the cop.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
People who don't think they need a lawyer were brought up by parents who were judicious and wise. They taught their child problem-solving techniques so s/he could handle his problems like an adult.

Or, they were raised in an obedience-based patriarchal authoritarian house and learn not to challenge any authority in any way.

The cops are the designated "authority," so these kind of people feel they can deal with the police with fairness and respect and the cops will do the same--like the parents they had.

Some sort of mediator/counselor who stands up for human rights is the best choice.

Granite

Hall of Fame
People who don't think they need a lawyer were brought up by parents who were judicious and wise. They taught their child problem-solving techniques so s/he could handle his problems like an adult.

Or, they were raised in an obedience-based patriarchal authoritarian house and learn not to challenge any authority in any way.

The cops are the designated "authority," so these kind of people feel they can deal with the police with fairness and respect and the cops will do the same--like the parents they had.

Some sort of mediator/counselor who stands up for human rights is the best choice.

A perfectly innocent guy's words explaining he hasn't done anything wrong are enough to get him in serious trouble. (What made you think we thought you did anything wrong, sir?)

You're warned that what you say can be used against you. It's never going to be used in your favor.

P.S. For the fun of it somebody should ask ACW how many interrogations he has experience with, you know, being a big tough cop and all.:crackup:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Funny. I knew you'd show up but I never expected you to say that.

I guess you don't know me, I live in a world guided by common sense.

Out of curiosity, what did you expect me to say and since when do police officers, prosecutors and judges want to put innocent people in jail?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

i agree obviously, but it's not always cut and dry. they can't use your statement until after your rights are read. at that point you've been told that you can remain speechless until you get a lawyer. before rights are read, we should have an idea what's going on. police usually tell you what they want unless it's you. then they may not tell you right away. Thank God for a clear conscience !!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're warned that what you say can be used against you. It's never going to be used in your favor.

And poor ole Granite seems to think that a slip of the tongue alone by the suspect is enough to convict a person.

P.S. For the fun of it somebody should ask ACW how many interrogations he has experience with, you know, being a big tough cop and all.:crackup:

Why don't you unblock me and ask me yourself?

Cleekster

That's my mother's side of the family right there...and so NOT me...but i'm too fiercely independant for my own good sometimes and fail to recognize when i'm out of my league.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i agree obviously, but it's not always cut and dry. they can't use your statement until after your rights are read. at that point you've been told that you can remain speechless until you get a lawyer. before rights are read, we should have an idea what's going on. police usually tell you what they want unless it's you. then they may not tell you right away. Thank God for a clear conscience !!
On any cop show I have ever seen the police try to get any damming evidence they can before they warn you. When they are reading you your rights you have probably already said too much!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
On any cop show I have ever seen the police try to get any damming evidence they can before they warn you. When they are reading you your rights you have probably already said too much!

So your experience with the criminal justice system comes down to what you've seen on cop shows?

Evidence is evidence. If it is "damning" then the suspect is more than likely guilty.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
That's my mother's side of the family right there...and so NOT me...but i'm too fiercely independant for my own good sometimes and fail to recognize when i'm out of my league.
You're not alone. My parents raised me with caring, respect and fairness, but my mother also continued to verbally and sexually abuse me. She couldn't help it. She, too, was raised by a dysfunctional mother.

Luckily after my conversion to Christ I was able to state my childhood pain and build the bridges to them before they passed on.

Now I miss them every day. They died more than 10 years ago, not so far apart.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
...My parents raised me with caring, respect and fairness, but my mother also continued to verbally and sexually abuse me. She couldn't help it. She, too, was raised by a dysfunctional mother...

The more I understand what happened to a person during his or her childhood, the more I understand their current ideology.

Back to the OP:

"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first".

So if a police officer comes to your door and asks if you saw anything suspicious the night before because your neighbor's house was burglarized, you should always lawyer up? Why not assist the officer with his investigation instead of hindering it?

Granted, if you're the key suspect in a murder investigation and are absolutely innocent, it might be a good idea to lawyer up, but if you're guilty, isn't admitting that you did wrong the key to redemption?

OCTOBER23

Ask if they would like to hear about how JESUS Saves .

I talked to 2 policemen about the latest Movie " 2012 " that I had just seen.

and he let me off with a caution.

Arthur Brain

Ask if they would like to hear about how JESUS Saves .

I talked to 2 policemen about the latest Movie " 2012 " that I had just seen.

and he let me off with a caution.

Er, so you mean the movie from three years ago with John Cussack? Not sure how that has any bearing on anything really and what were you cautioned for?