"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first."

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The more I understand what happened to a person during his or her childhood, the more I understand their current ideology.
That's exactly what I have learned. It has helped me immensely in my career as a mediator, a student of nonviolence and my work with end stage cancer patients and their families.

A knowledge of someone's history and testimony prevents us from seeing them in a superficial way and learning their actual good intentions behind their behavior.

Unless we do the heavy lifting to connect with the abuse and dismissive treatment we got as a child, we will continue to unwittingly treat others in our life as we were treated.

We should fully grieve our childhood and then move on.

Back to the OP:

"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first".

So if a police officer comes to your door and asks if you saw anything suspicious the night before because your neighbor's house was burglarized, you should always lawyer up? Why not assist the officer with his investigation instead of hindering it?
I certainly would help. But if I were the member of a minority which always had to contend with police behavior towards myself and others, I would wisely stay out of the whole thing.

And this is nothing new. Police largely don't get much respect or cooperation in minority communities. For good, understandable reasons.

Granted, if you're the key suspect in a murder investigation and are absolutely innocent, it might be a good idea to lawyer up, but if you're guilty, isn't admitting that you did wrong the key to redemption?
Of course it is the case that both the guilty and the innocent "lawyer up." I am surprised most police authorities and folks like yourself do not believe this.

Redemption is ultimately a private affair. Just because we are made right with God does not mean we publicly parade around our perfections. Jesus didn't think much of the people who did this in his own day.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The more I understand what happened to a person during his or her childhood, the more I understand their current ideology.

Back to the OP:

So if a police officer comes to your door and asks if you saw anything suspicious the night before because your neighbor's house was burglarized, you should always lawyer up? Why not assist the officer with his investigation instead of hindering it?

Granted, if you're the key suspect in a murder investigation and are absolutely innocent, it might be a good idea to lawyer up, but if you're guilty, isn't admitting that you did wrong the key to redemption?
What does "OP" mean?

Cleekster

You're not alone. My parents raised me with caring, respect and fairness, but my mother also continued to verbally and sexually abuse me. She couldn't help it. She, too, was raised by a dysfunctional mother.

i understand....my father physically abused me and my mother is a emotional manipulator and controller....just thought i'd share since you did to be fair ;)

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
i understand....my father physically abused me and my mother is a emotional manipulator and controller....just thought i'd share since you did to be fair ;)
I hope your faith has helped you admit that you are broken and that Jesus can heal your spirit.

Unless we become aware of the wounds of childhood, we will forever be unwittingly passing the abuse onto our own children and others.

Breaking the cycle is important.

I myself am always engaged in doing just that.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's exactly what I have learned. It has helped me immensely in my career as a mediator, a student of nonviolence and my work with end stage cancer patients and their families.

A knowledge of someone's history and testimony prevents us from seeing them in a superficial way and learning their actual good intentions behind their behavior.

Unless we do the heavy lifting to connect with the abuse and dismissive treatment we got as a child, we will continue to unwittingly treat others in our life as we were treated.

We should fully grieve our childhood and then move on.

With the proper psychological therapy many people do. Others unfortunately take their nightmare of a childhood with them into adulthood and find out ways to shape their twisted idea of moral doctrine around it.

;-)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
"I did nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, therefore I would be happy to assist you in your investigation Detective."

It's too bad that people go running to shysters instead of making statements like I just did.

yeah, cops never hear that. they always hear "i did it officer, whatever it is" - ac dub has a warped view of the world - closet fag

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Back to the OP:

that's not what the OP is about. it's not about doing the right thing to help with a crime that doesn't involve you. it's lawyer time when they start asking about you specifically - big diff - but stay on your lopsided horse -

whitestone

I suppose this is 2015 and we are afraid and unsure what is correct to do or not in instances where we interact with the certain branches of our government,in fear we plead the eight,in the presence of a lawyer we argue the rest,,,

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
that's not what the OP is about. it's not about doing the right thing to help with a crime that doesn't involve you. it's lawyer time when they start asking about you specifically - big diff - but stay on your lopsided horse -

(aCW gives little patrick jane a patronizing pat on his head and tells him to play nice).

The OP was an advertisement from a law firm. I wonder if the guy who started this sad excuse for a thread has any financial interest in the firm, as he surely doesn't seem interested in discussing the different options that should be considered if a police officer comes to your door and starts asking questions.