Mexicans are Dumb and Will Destroy America?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There's a distinction to be made here:

1. If you're just talking about the fact, I think it's silly to be outraged that someone says that it's true. Rocket scientists probably don't tend to come from trailor parks. Just saying.

Hello? October Sky? Coal miner's son Homer Hickam?

2. But however we express it, we should show concern/empathy and without disdain/condescension. You're definitely right about this, and I tend to fail big time at it. It's just not something that comes natural to me. :idunno:

Well, fix it.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Hello? October Sky? Coal miner's son Homer Hickam?

They're exceptions, Annabenedetti. Do you know what the facts really are? In this country, children tend to end up at about the same socioeconomic status as their parents, give or take one step. That's the overwhelming tendency.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They're exceptions, Annabenedetti. Do you know what the facts really are? In this country, children tend to end up at about the same socioeconomic status as their parents, give or take one step. That's the overwhelming tendency.

Sure, with people who think like you to keep them down on the reservation.

PyramidHead

1. If you're just talking about the fact, I think it's silly to be outraged that someone says that it's true. Rocket scientists probably don't tend to come from trailor parks. Just saying.

but don't you see it's from the circumstances of growing up in the trailer park, not the merit of the individuals themselves! If they had a rich mommy and daddy who could pay for many years of school without somuch as even having to hold a job, they could have a lot more options, too

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Sure, with people who think like you to keep them down on the reservation.

To my knowledge, it's not a racial thing. If your parents are middle class and white, chances are, you'll end up in the middle class, give or take one step. You might be lower middle. You might be upper middle. But chances are, you aren't moving far beyond that.

This is why I don't think that the thing about Mexican immigrants is improbable. It's not their Mexicanness or even their immigrant status that counts. It's all the other stuff. What we have is a bunch of uneducated poor people who are pretty much in the lower class. Given the fact that not a whole lot of socioeconomic movement takes place in this country, it stands to reason that their children are going to have similar places in society...with the exception that their English might be somewhat better.

You can be offended if you want, but you can use your own case. You said that you have Mexicans for relatives. Ask them about their immigrant ancestors. Ask them about those immigrants' children, and how big of a socioeconomic change they actually underwent. And then their children.

Chances are, it probably wasn't really that big a leap from generation to generation.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
but don't you see it's from the circumstances of growing up in the trailer park, not the merit of the individuals themselves! If they had a rich mommy and daddy who could pay for many years of school without somuch as even having to hold a job, they could have a lot more options, too

Pyramidhead, I don't think that I ever disputed this. :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
To my knowledge, it's not a racial thing. If your parents are middle class and white, chances are, you'll end up in the middle class, give or take one step. You might be lower middle. You might be upper middle. But chances are, you aren't moving far beyond that.

This is why I don't think that the thing about Mexican immigrants is improbable. It's not their Mexicanness or even their immigrant status that counts. It's all the other stuff. What we have is a bunch of uneducated poor people who are pretty much in the lower class. Given the fact that not a whole lot of socioeconomic movement takes place in this country, it stands to reason that their children are going to have similar places in society...with the exception that their English might be somewhat better.

You can be offended if you want, but you can use your own case. You said that you have Mexicans for relatives. Ask them about their immigrant ancestors. Ask them about those immigrants' children, and how big of a socioeconomic change they actually underwent. And then their children.

Chances are, it probably wasn't really that big a leap from generation to generation.

What's more important to you? Character? Or status?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
What's more important to you? Character? Or status?

Character is clearly more important. But again, I didn't call this into question.

But in terms of how I live my day to day life, character really isn't all that counts. You can be a saint, but if we are in a situation that involves us having to deal with each other, and I can't understand you, and you can't understand me...? We're going to have a problem, and one or both of us is going to end up very frustrated.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Beyond IQ

Beyond IQ

There is truth, persons with very high IQ scores are less income sy0ucessful than above average. Those with IQs measured above 150, tend to do very well academically, yet they rather have careers where they remain in research, or teach college.
The person with one to two standard deviations’ above the norm communicate better with co-workers, they are more likely to enter management, and develop people skills. This is not so much the case with most if those above 150, as they prefer more solitary work, being able to concentrate in experiments than taking a position of greater work responsibility.

Some, Bill Gates, for example, be=came wealthy because they make a discovery that is desirable , or necessary, as in new drugs. Yet few of the brightest are lucky, and Bill was lucky when he saw a use in Xerox program product, which kicked off Microsoft. The same with the fist inventor for Apple, he made the original personal computer, but was only interested in the work itself, not potential income gain.
Persons with very high IQs, something called geeks are usually more content doing what they did in graduate school, than what is potentially possible by work into higher oppositions in corporations.

zoo22

It's just not pleasant to have to deal with people who are radically different from me. I just don't like it, and I don't want to have to deal with it.

That's because you're an extraordinarily ego-centric and pompous person with superiority issues, and even more than most people, the less you feel in control, the more you freak out.

I understand that you have asperger's, so I try to always consider that.

But I hope a huge, multi-generational family of Mexicans who barely speak English move in all around you, taking up all of the houses on your block. Little Mexican kids playing hopscotch in the street screaming out rhymes in Spanish, Mexican music playing on their stereos, meats you're not familiar with sizzling on their grills filling the neighborhood with smells you've never smelled, and most of all, tons of old Mexican folks who walk too slowly in front of you on the sidewalk.

And I hope they also buy your corner store, and fill it up with non-English signs and foods you're completely unfamiliar with.

And I hope they're all happy, all the time, and you have to see their huge smiles, and they all wave and say ¡Hola amigo! to you every time they see you.

bybee

Character is clearly more important. But again, I didn't call this into question.

But in terms of how I live my day to day life, character really isn't all that counts. You can be a saint, but if we are in a situation that involves us having to deal with each other, and I can't understand you, and you can't understand me...? We're going to have a problem, and one or both of us is going to end up very frustrated.

We can't afford to be frustrated. We must work it out.

zippy2006

Hey Trad,

I think you made an interesting and valid point in the original post and throughout the thread. I think some of the responses were probably overreactions to the point you were making.

I see you've admitted some racist tendencies. I know you struggle with certain things, including aspergers, so I'm sure it can be hard. Even so, Anna is right and it is clearly a place for improvement and something you ought to work at. Despite our own advantages and disadvantages, we are all quite small before Christ. We stand at the bottom of a mountain to be climbed; perhaps the Mexican is a bit shorter than you, perhaps someone without aspergers is a bit taller. Either way, it doesn't make a big difference in light of the mountain, and Christ loved the least most.

I admire your intellect and your utter honesty, but your racism is a disappointment. Be at peace, keep looking at yourself clearly, keep your nose to the grindstone and your eyes on the Lord. I have great hope for you. :)

You have my prayers, pray for me as well,
-zip :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not too many generations ago that would have been the view on the Irish. It's always someone and there's always some reason to separate them and feel a little better about ourselves at their expense.

Silly business.

zoo22

Not too many generations ago that would have been the view on the Irish. It's always someone and there's always some reason to separate them and feel a little better about ourselves at their expense.

Silly business.

Except we all know it was true about the Irish. Just look at all the damage that's been done by letting them out of the ghettos... So that's a bad example, but yeah, we know what you mean. :plain:

Arthur Brain

I am a white guy from the South. I use the n-word all the time. Usually in the privacy of my own home either with similar-minded people or people who aren't likely to make a fuss about it.

Do you take credit for being white? Do you believe God created 'inferior' human beings based on ethnicity as opposed to the '"white man"? As much as you claim to have this 'syndrome' I can't understand why you would maintain the complete lack of logic to sustain it if your answer to either of the above is 'yes'.

Also, that's another thing. I use the n-word. A lot.

Why? You're smart enough to know the connotations and why it's offensive. Or are you?

So what? If you're a black person, chances are, I'm not going to go out of my way to make your life more difficult. I'm not going to join the police force just so that I can profile you, pull you over and engage in wanton beatings.

Do you think God loves black people as much as whites and any other 'race'?

I just like using the n-word. It's a fun word to use. It amuses me. Why is that a big deal, so long as I'm not using it at you (in anger or otherwise)?

Why does it amuse you?

Another reason I don't enjoy a multi-cultural society. I have to be racially sensitive. If you're a white guy and you use the n-word once in front of the wrong audience? You're career is over. :nono:

Well, anyone with an IQ above 54 would manage to maintain respect within a work place without resorting to anything resembling a slur to colleagues be it racially, sexually or otherwise. You're so smart - you can figure that out surely? Go home and amuse yourself with the 'n' word and those who are 'similarly' minded.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That's because you're an extraordinarily ego-centric and pompous person with superiority issues, ...

I understand that you have asperger's, so I try to always consider that.

But I hope a huge, multi-generational family of Mexicans who barely speak English move in all around you,.............

And I hope they also buy your corner store, and fill it up with non-English signs and foods you're completely unfamiliar with.

And I hope they're all happy..... and say ¡Hola amigo!

:rotfl: I think zoo said this with a straight face. I see his point, but does he see how funny this is? Are you laughing, it not, that is odd. :):rotfl::wave2:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Do you take credit for being white? Do you believe God created 'inferior' human beings based on ethnicity as opposed to the '"white man"?

No. That's retarded.

Why? You're smart enough to know the connotations and why it's offensive. Or are you?

You never use offensive language? You are British. Mild blasphemies and vulgarities make up like half of the day-to-day British discourse, don't they?

Do you think God loves black people as much as whites and any other 'race'?

God knows, loves and judges each individual individually.

Why does it amuse you?

A well placed n-word can be pretty funny. I'll give you an example:

I return to my apartment a while back and there, in the courtyard, are 3-4 black people and a white guy who clearly don't belong there. One of my neighbors promptly chases them off.

My roommate (a northern white guy who's pretty much never encountered racism until he moved to the South for his education) comes in, and I excitedly say: "There were [n-word here]'s at the apartment earlier!"

He looks at me and busts out laughing because I just used a racist word. He was like: "[My name here]...you shouldn't use that kind of language!" Or something like that.

He then quickly says: "How many were there? They weren't inside of the apartment, were they?" Or something like that.

I then bust out laughing because my non-racist roommate unwittingly sounded like he just asked me how many [n-word here] were at the apartment earlier, and he seemed to be very concerned to make sure that there were none of them in the apartment.

He sees me bust out laughing and I explain what he basically had just said. The look on his face...

Man, that was funny. :rotfl:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am a white guy from the South. I use the n-word all the time.
Lots of Southern, white men don't use the word and you wouldn't use it in my circles more than the once and remain there.

I use the n-word. A lot.
Then I'm sorry for you. Because that word was a hateful, shameful thing and using it is a tribute to the minds that forged and institutionalized that hateful, shameful thing.

I just like using the n-word. It's a fun word to use. It amuses me. Why is that a big deal, so long as I'm not using it at you (in anger or otherwise)?
Because of what it represents. Because you know what it represents and that speaks to a moral deficiency that should cause you real and serious alarm. Because it's an emblem of anger and ignorance and you say you aren't angry and I don't believe you'd celebrate ignorance.

But you know that. So what, did you enjoy shocking a few well intentioned people on the internet, safe in your anonymity? Good for you. :plain:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
For any who don't think that the n-word can be funny, you clearly haven't watched Blazing Saddles. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For any who don't think that the n-word can be funny, you clearly haven't watched Blazing Saddles. :idunno:
The use of that word in Blazing Saddles mocked the racist, laughed at and not with him. That's why it worked. As for its use inside the black community, it's sad and far from universally celebrated, though I can understand the attempt by some to own and disarm it, misguided as I think that effort is.