Canada bans 1500 kinds of military style weapons.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The reactionaries among us will obviously decry this attempt to deprive the mentally ill and those who "snap" from having easy access to such weapons. These G.I. Joe wannabes wish to retain such weapons in their possession so they can threaten an armed insurrection.

Prediction made above; prediction confirmed below:

except in those two instances I cited, the one that started in 1775 and the one that started in 1861

and the next one that will, inevitably, come

I'd rather be prepared to fighgt

Instead of winning democratically and working through the legislative process, G.I. Doser expects another civil war in which he will kill and/or be killed, which just further demonstrates his deranged thinking. Of course if push ever did come to shove, G.l. Doser would be first to run for the hills.

chair

Liberalism believes that recognizing, affirming, protecting, defending, preserving, acknowledging individual rights IS the public good. There is no conflict between these two things, according to liberalism. The suggestion that there is a conflict, is utilitarian. Utilitarianism is in conflict with liberalism.

You run into trouble with this "Liberalism", when you have a major war or a plague.

eider

I most certainly am and like a wide range, from modern independent cinema through to blockbusters and early classics. Do you mean Mark Kermode? He's brilliant, not only does he know his stuff inside out, he's entertaining as anything to listen to as well with a keen sense of humour.

Yes. Mark Kermode.
He is the best film critic that I ever listened to.
So that's the depth that you are at, in film and cinema. Cool.
I'm just a punter where film is at. I don't even take notice of actor's names, might be able to name four at gun point. But my wife is a computer about song, film and much else. Amazing mind, could get 18-20 points in the final 'Chase' competition regularly.

Yet I made over 20 training films in the last 20 years before retirement and they worked out very well. Still have copies of all. The big retailers were my customers and they were not easy to please. I realise that's different of course.

Aimiel

Rubbish........... Venezuela has a Dictator in Maduro.
You've got an electorate.

If you go killing the servicemen and women of an elected government then your are a terrorist.

Hogwash! Maduro was elected: President. He assumed dictatorship by inventing sources to the problems which belonged to his poor decisions. It's still your turn, please guess again. The facts are simple, if enough people decide that a government is being oppressive, it gets overthrown. If those in charge refuse to acquiesce, they just might end up dead. If you don't understand that then you're not capable of rational thought. The people of Venezuela willfully surrendered their weapons. That won't happen in this country. :nono:

Arthur Brain

Yes. Mark Kermode.
He is the best film critic that I ever listened to.
So that's the depth that you are at, in film and cinema. Cool.
I'm just a punter where film is at. I don't even take notice of actor's names, might be able to name four at gun point. But my wife is a computer about song, film and much else. Amazing mind, could get 18-20 points in the final 'Chase' competition regularly.

Yet I made over 20 training films in the last 20 years before retirement and they worked out very well. Still have copies of all. The big retailers were my customers and they were not easy to please. I realise that's different of course.

He's the best also in my opinion and that's not to berate the likes of Barry Norman etc. His passion, knowledge, descriptive prowess and humour are brilliant and he's not beyond having a laugh at himself. I listened to one podcast recently where he recalled slating "Blue Velvet" at the time and was approached by a punter in a bar who punched him because of it. He was so outraged by this that he watched it again and completely changed his tune. It's highly rare that I disagree with him on anything and his reviews are going to be entertaining whether it's in praise of a film or the disparaging of it. Check out his review of "Entourage" for one of the deservedly slating ones...

I'm kinda a film nut and took an advanced level in film studies back in 2002. Everything from German expressionism to extreme cinema, Nosferatu, Battleship Potemkin to Local Hero, Scanners etc along with analysing the techniques of film making, editing, scripting and the like. It was a blast...

Your wife should audition for The Chase!

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Prediction made above; prediction confirmed below:

Instead of winning democratically and working through the legislative process, G.I. Doser expects another civil war in which he will kill and/or be killed, which just further demonstrates his deranged thinking. Of course if push ever did come to shove, G.l. Doser would be first to run for the hills.

Plus, he'd rather be prepared to "fighgt"?!

It's ridiculous all ends up and deranged as all get out. Anyone really that surprised though?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

It's ridiculous all ends up and deranged as all get out. Anyone really that surprised though?

It's what was necessary in 1775 and 1861.

Pretty lucky for you guys too, in 1917 and 1941

eider

I'd chuckle, but you are probably exactly right.
That's just sad.

eider

Hogwash! Maduro was elected: President. He assumed dictatorship ....................
Stop you there......... so was and did Hitler.. A government that might introduce common sense controls for gun ownership would fit with neither situation.

That won't happen in this country. :nono:
No..... it won't.
The common sense of gun controls (loke 3nd party risks insurance?) is no reason for extremists to turn terrorist, shooting their own country wo/men.

eider

He's the best also in my opinion and that's not to berate the likes of Barry Norman etc. His passion, knowledge, descriptive prowess and humour are brilliant and he's not beyond having a laugh at himself. I listened to one podcast recently where he recalled slating "Blue Velvet" at the time and was approached by a punter in a bar who punched him because of it. He was so outraged by this that he watched it again and completely changed his tune. It's highly rare that I disagree with him on anything and his reviews are going to be entertaining whether it's in praise of a film or the disparaging of it. Check out his review of "Entourage" for one of the deservedly slating ones...

I'm kinda a film nut and took an advanced level in film studies back in 2002. Everything from German expressionism to extreme cinema, Nosferatu, Battleship Potemkin to Local Hero, Scanners etc along with analysing the techniques of film making, editing, scripting and the like. It was a blast...
Loved the story about Mark in the bar...... :D
I remember that I met a Kent University under-grad circa 2011 who was reading 'film studies' or something like that.
She changed my whole mindset about people like her and courses like that. What happened.... I asked her how she intended to use the knowledge and she immediately figured that I thought the course was unimportant. Oh dear!. She advanced upon me! I thought she was going to pin me against the wall (I wish she had!) and asked me if I thought 'English Literature' had any place in our social, cultural, academic, historical and humanist world, and a chink of light shone through...... of course it does, and what is film but a gigantic form of literature. But I enjoy film watching because I just immerse myself in the story or message without having to consider it in any other way. I know it seems unusual but I would take no more notice of the name and life of an actor than I would seek the signature of the postman who is also very good at his job. :)

I can make one guess now....... for you the lock-down has been a cruise........ Brer Rabbit in the Briar patch. :D

Your wife should audition for The Chase!
Much confidence in her own world, a mouse in others. I have the most wonderful wife...... made everything worth while.

eider

Yes...... I get worried by folks who are one person in one setting, entirely another somewhere else.
The unpredictability of the multi-mind.

ok doser

I'd chuckle, but you are probably exactly right.
That's just sad.

You think there's an end to war, to armed struggle, to man trying to unjustly exert control over his fellow man?

Let me guess - you think that disputes should be settled by international organizations - the World Court, the UN, the League of Nations?

How'd that work out in Ukraine in 1932 and 1933?
How'd that work out in Poland in the fall of 1939?
How'd that work out in China in the late fifties and early sixties?
How'd that work out in Cambodia in the late 1970's?
How'd that work out in Rwanda in 94?
How's that working out today in Kashmir, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Myanmar?

Last edited:

eider

You think there's an end to war, to armed struggle, to man trying to unjustly exert control over his fellow man?

Let me guess - you think that disputes should be settled by international organizations - the World Court, the UN, the League of Nations?

How'd that work out in Ukraine in 1932 and 1933?
How'd that work out in Poland in the fall of 1939?
How'd that work out in China in the late fifties and early sixties?
How'd that work out in Cambodia in the late 1970's?
How'd that work out in Rwanda in 94?
How's that working out today in Kashmir, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Myanmar?

You ask if you can guess my thoughts, then try and tell me what I think. Wrong.!

The very first kind of government that I would strive against would be a government run by minds like yours.
True.

eider

in both wars we came in fast and hard largely because we had a population of citizens experienced with gun handling

No in both wars your held back for about three years. And no civilians were recruited and sent before full training was given.

You have no training standards for civilians, nor qualifications. Don't use bulldust on this thread or you'll look silly.

ok doser

You ask if you can guess my thoughts, then try and tell me what I think. Wrong.!

The very first kind of government that I would strive against would be a government run by minds like yours.
True.

Well, that was a waste of bandwidth

ok doser

... in both wars your held back for about three years.

yes, that wasn't what I meant by "fast"

I mean that once we decided to save your silly butts, we came in quickly and with force

And no civilians were recruited and sent before full training was given.

that's not a response to anything I wrote

ok doser

... what I think ...

Considering the long bloody history of Europe and the conflicts that rage around its edges, do you believe that the peace that currently exists is enduring?

Or do you see it, as I do, as a temporary lull in what is otherwise a normal state of conflict, traditionally resolved through armed struggle?

Arthur Brain

Loved the story about Mark in the bar...... :D
I remember that I met a Kent University under-grad circa 2011 who was reading 'film studies' or something like that.
She changed my whole mindset about people like her and courses like that. What happened.... I asked her how she intended to use the knowledge and she immediately figured that I thought the course was unimportant. Oh dear!. She advanced upon me! I thought she was going to pin me against the wall (I wish she had!) and asked me if I thought 'English Literature' had any place in our social, cultural, academic, historical and humanist world, and a chink of light shone through...... of course it does, and what is film but a gigantic form of literature. But I enjoy film watching because I just immerse myself in the story or message without having to consider it in any other way. I know it seems unusual but I would take no more notice of the name and life of an actor than I would seek the signature of the postman who is also very good at his job. :)

I can make one guess now....... for you the lock-down has been a cruise........ Brer Rabbit in the Briar patch. :D

Much confidence in her own world, a mouse in others. I have the most wonderful wife...... made everything worth while.

:D

It was interesting to do as when you study something you learn so much more about the subject, even one you might already be passionate about. The downside can be getting over analytical on occasion and not just enjoying a good film...but overall, it was a positive and a qualification to have to boot. I do take note of actors and directors but to see what else they've been involved in film wise.

I'm afraid however that your guess is wrong. This lockdown has been far from a cruise to be honest, being able to watch films notwithstanding.

She sounds great. :)

:cheers: