Which do you hear?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's all in the mind of the perceiver. It says Yanny if you expect it to....says Laurel for the same reason.

Listen to the loop until the name becomes simple noise, like saying a word over and over until it loses its conceptual meaning. Then repeat to yourself the opposite name you initially heard, in its place each time, rythmically..until the name suddenly changes, seeminly out of the blue.

Don't try too hard, relax yet be insistent. It may take a few minutes.

It didn't work for me... laurel stayed laurel on the laptop, yanny stayed yanny on the phone.

Arthur Brain

Why the difference you think? Were your expectations different each time?
Stick with it...it will come when you least expect it.

Unlikely because the original word is "Laurel" and it's only at certain speeds and frequencies/equipment it changes. I first heard it on the laptop with no expectations one way or the other at original speed through headphones and it was simply "Laurel", no getting away from it. Slow it down and lower the pitch and it absolutely changes as is the nature with sound and "Yanny" or similar comes in. It's not the same as one of those visual "puzzles" such as the one with a skater either turning from left to right or vice versa...

quip

BANNED
Banned
Unlikely because the original word is "Laurel" and it's only at certain speeds and frequencies/equipment it changes. I first heard it on the laptop with no expectations one way or the other at original speed through headphones and it was simply "Laurel", no getting away from it. Slow it down and lower the pitch and it absolutely changes as is the nature with sound and "Yanny" or similar comes in. It's not the same as one of those visual "puzzles" such as the one with a skater either turning from left to right or vice versa...

Think of it as one of those 3-D illustrations where an object emerges from the design after a few moments of focused concentration.
I've repeatedly switched the names back and forth, from the same source.

Arthur Brain

Think of it as one of those 3-D illustrations where an object emerges from the design after a few moments of focused concentration.
I've repeatedly switched the names back and forth, from the same source.

I've tried a few times but at original frequency and with a decent speaker/headphone it's "Laurel" all the way. It's only at the lower end of the scale that "Yanny" can be heard which makes sense because the original recording is the word "Laurel". If you up the tempo and frequency it becomes increasingly obvious. Can you link to the source that you're using, speed etc? The visual analogy doesn't compare with this.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I've tried a few times but at original frequency and with a decent speaker/headphone it's "Laurel" all the way. It's only at the lower end of the scale that "Yanny" can be heard which makes sense because the original recording is the world "Laurel". If you up the tempo and frequency it becomes increasingly obvious. Can you link to the source that you're using, speed etc? The visual analogy doesn't compare with this.
This one is close.

The original one had more of a consistent beat....which helps but there's so many now that look similar.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Why the difference you think? Were your expectations different each time?
Stick with it...it will come when you least expect it.

I had no expectations that I was aware of the first time I heard it on my phone, although I can't rule out the subconscious. But here's the thing. Since I'd heard yanny on my phone, when I listened on my laptop the first time, I fully expected to hear yanny - and I heard laurel.

I think (okay I'm assuming) you probably are experienced at meditation and so have the patience to wait. I can't say I have the same. :eek:

quip

BANNED
Banned
I had no expectations that I was aware of the first time I heard it on my phone, although I can't rule out the subconscious. But here's the thing. I first heard it on my phone and it was yanny. When I listened on my laptop the first time, I fully expected to hear yanny - and I heard laurel.

I think (okay I'm assuming) you probably are experienced at meditation and so have the patience to wait. I can't say I have the same. :eek:

Yes. I've been meditating for close to 20 years so I need to take that into consideration.

Arthur Brain

This one is close.

The original one had more of a consistent beat....which helps but there's so many now that look similar.

There's plenty that have a more consistent beat without that break. To be fair that's pretty much the original speed but it would still depend on what equipment you're hearing it through as well. This is where it differs to visual illusions and the like. Younger people are more prone to hearing higher frequencies that can also alter the sound. "Magic eye" pictures took me a while to get and relaxing was the key to see the actual picture instead of concentrating so much on it. Sound is different. If a piece is in A major, say, then no amount of anything is going to alter it's key unless manipulated...

;)

quip

BANNED
Banned
Ahhh The Magic Eye! I forgot the name.

Relax just as you did with the 'Eye'. Stop trying to try...and just do it.
Stop being so negative! ;)

"The perceiver IS the perceived.: - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Younger people are more prone to hearing higher frequencies that can also alter the sound.
They're also prone to bad haircut choices. Exhibit A: everyone's senior yearbook.

"Magic eye" pictures took me a while to get and relaxing was the key to see the actual picture instead of concentrating so much on it.
I had the same problem with the Magic 8 ball. :plain:

Sound is different. If a piece is in A major, say,
Like that could happen. :rotfl: :think: A major what?

then no amount of anything is going to alter it's key unless manipulated...
You know what else is easy to manipulate? The Trump fan base. Not sure about the key though.

I know it isn't sharp. :roses:

Arthur Brain

They're also prone to bad haircut choices. Exhibit A: everyone's senior yearbook.

Oh, for the days I could make those appalling choices again...

:plain:

I had the same problem with the Magic 8 ball. :plain:

Cue control and alignment. Then you'd sink it. :thumb:

Like that could happen. :rotfl: :think: A major what?

Just knew I should have ran with F# minor...:doh:

You know what else is easy to manipulate? The Trump fan base. Not sure about the key though.

I know it isn't sharp. :roses:

No, it's B Flat!

:roses:

Arthur Brain

Ahhh The Magic Eye! I forgot the name.

Relax just as you did with the 'Eye'. Stop trying to try...and just do it.
Stop being so negative! ;)

"The perceiver IS the perceived.: - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Dude, I get what you're trying to say but no amount of meditation is going to turn a Beyonce song into The Rite Of Spring.

:eek: