• On Pharisaism

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • On the reality of species in spite of evolution

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

john w

Hall of Fame
How about this:

Why does not Superman smoke, and drink, given that it is fun, and he is bullet proof? It's a mite curious.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't understand your 3rd option. Evolution doesn't deny the existence of species.

I guess I'd vote for #2 out of those options.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I don't understand your 3rd option. Evolution doesn't deny the existence of species.

I guess I'd vote for #2 out of those options.

Selaphiel had brought it up. Basically, there's a "scientific" philosophical theory which asserts that "to be a dog" is simply an "emergent property" of the various bits and pieces of stuff of which a dog is composed. A dog simply is what "happens" when DNA, blood, fur, teeth, etc. are organized and work together in a certain way.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Selaphiel had brought it up. Basically, there's a "scientific" philosophical theory which asserts that "to be a dog" is simply an "emergent property" of the various bits and pieces of stuff of which a dog is composed. A dog simply is what "happens" when DNA, blood, fur, teeth, etc. are organized and work together in a certain way.

I vaguely remember that. Would this new thread be arguing that there is an eternal dog form or something like that?

Here's a write-in: Your favorite philosopher who lived past 1800. :chuckle:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I vaguely remember that. Would this new thread be arguing that there is an eternal dog form or something like that?

Nothing so extreme. I simply assert that Fido and Rover both have something really in common with each other, independently of any of our conceptions, i.e., that they are dogs.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Nothing so extreme. I simply assert that Fido and Rover both have something really in common with each other, independently of any of our conceptions, i.e., that they are dogs.

You ignored my write-in idea. :chuckle:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
why would being drunk someplace other than home be putting his life or the lives of others at risk? :idunno: