I'm getting excited about spring time!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm going to order some blueberry bushes next week. These are two year old plants that are guaranteed to produce fruit this year. I'm looking forward to fresh blueberries. I'm going to wait at least another two to four weeks to buy tomatos, cucumbers, and other plants for my garden. I'm just having a hard time deciding whether to go with container gardening for my veggies or doing a straight-out garden. I'm pretty sure that my neighbor will till my spot for me, if I ask him to (His wife told me to ask if I need anything.). But, I won't have to deal with rabbits, moles, or weeds if I use containers. Since I have to order a minimum of five blueberry bushes from the nursery, I'm going to have plenty to share with my neighbors after my harvest. If the blueberries work out, I'm going to get blackberry and raspberry bushes from the same nursery next year.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am sending you bad weather today. :devil:

We had it yesterday. After two weeks of warm temperatures, I opened the front door to let my dog in and saw snow on the ground. The nursery told me to wait until the second week of April to plant my blueberries. So, it should be warm enough (especially since the nursery I'm ordering from is in New Jersey...they're further north so they have a longer cold season than I do). We're supposed to have t-storms off and on for the next week or so. Tomorrow's supposed to be close to 70 degrees. I'm looking forward to that one. But, they predicting a chance of snow on Sunday with a high around 40 degrees. I really hope they're wrong about that one. :chuckle:

elohiym

We're getting excited, too, but we've been growing our garden all winter using raised beds covered with clear plastic. We have an abundance of lettuce and chard and the moment.

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
Gardening And Planting Is Hard Work But Very Rewarding. I Mostly Plant From Seed And Usually Smaller Flowers And Some Herbs, Annuals, A Few Perennials, I Love Colors. Climbing Flowers (Moonflowers, Morning Glory,) and I Really Like "Moss Roses" That Bloom Tiny Roses In The AM Everyday, They Can Grow In Cracks And Small Areas, And Spread Modestly Only Reaching Several Inches, More With Frequent Watering.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is raining and 40 here, but Chicago is getting pummeled with snow. Eh, the Cubs deserve it.

elohiym

Potatoes?

Grow them when the weather is nicer, then cover them with mulch to keep from freezing and plastic to keep the rain off them, and you'll still be eating potatoes from your garden this time of year next year.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah, Spring... :cloud9:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
one more week and they open the seaway!

which means pretty soon I'll be able to get a boat out! :banana:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What have you decided?

I know I'm going to do some in containers (tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, etc...) and some in the ground (corn, sunflowers, blueberries, etc...). I just don't know about the others yet. I'm reading up on it. I think it's too late to start bales of straw for this year. But, I can get the pots to grow the others fairly cheap.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Debating the garden, though we have a few lovely blueberry bushes. A friend of mine is doing the pallet garden this year, if you've heard of it. If you haven't they take a large wooden pallet and cover one side with landscape fabric (stapled in place) then add your potting soil and seed. Water and tend without weed pulling and worry.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am excited about spring
the bunny has already ate my crocuses
and
has now started on my day lilies
but
nothing is prettier than spring green
red buds
forsythia
tulips in spite of the calvinists

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
Debating the garden, though we have a few lovely blueberry bushes. A friend of mine is doing the pallet garden this year, if you've heard of it. If you haven't they take a large wooden pallet and cover one side with landscape fabric (stapled in place) then add your potting soil and seed. Water and tend without weed pulling and worry.

Very Creative And Natural. I Use Aluminum Bars, No Rust, No Rot, Lighter Than Wood, Reusable Year After Year !