The Omnibox: all things television

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyway, what started this consideration was someone telling me that the new Star Trek series, that looked interesting in trailers, was going to be exclusively on this new CBS attempt to eat at the trough of Netflix and other pay services. The primary problem with their gambit, to my mind, is that outside of that I'm not going to watch very much and why pay most of what I pay for Netflix to see a show or two?
I watched the pilot and second episode available on CBS All Access tonight.

Presumably set 10 years prior to Kirk & Co., one wonders what happened in the aftermath of this timeline given the advanced technology on display, including the bridge, that we find absent in Kirk's era. Apparently something like worm holes are being used so that the First Officer can instantly summon her Vulcan adopted parent's hologram for real-time communication and advice with but a few clicks at the edge of Federation space.

Then there is all the forced metaphysical Zen that permeates these two episodes. We are even treated to the Klingon commander dealing with an albino member (a white Klingon!) of the race that steps up when all his normal Klingon's will not. "I do not see your color when I look at you, but a mirror, etc. etc." I assume the viewer will be treated with plenty of these Hollywood social medicine bromides in the episodes to come.

4 on a 10 point scale for me. Any series below 5 is no longer watched.

AMR

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Recommend Seinfeld's special on Netflix. Relatively clean (his act usually is), and informative about him, and where he started.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Recommend Seinfeld's special on Netflix. Relatively clean (his act usually is), and informative about him, and where he started.
I liked his stand up a long while back. Never liked the show or understood that ascension. And some of the things he's had to say about others, punching down, hasn't sat well with me. His semi-sneering at Kimmel's reverence for Letterman, by way of example. Saw him on Seth's show a while back and he was funny, but he kept saying how he didn't want to be there so he shouldn't have to do a pre interview and that it was up to Seth to engage him. . . I thought that was a bit toolish, if funny. Again, a variation on punching down. It's not refreshingly honest, it's rude.

I might watch it though. :eek:

Meanwhile, I've given up on the Fox Sci-fi show, the Orville. MacFarland just can't get out of his way. First, he's turned what seemed like an interesting alien character into a gay rights shtick, as we learn his people are all one sex, male. And then lo and behold they give birth to a girl and an episode of having that "corrected" begins, ending (of course) with the operation taking place by the shows end, against the conventions of that sort of contrivance and tailored to make everyone watching irate with it, which feeds back into a clever way of making us identify with people who don't like the bigoted gay response, which really means setting up dissonance within those who have advanced a similar approach to homosexuals.

I'll give it clever points, but it's tiring and heavy handed even so. Then, in the opening of episode four the crew encounters a vast and ancient ship drifting through space, meet its inhabitants who have long forgotten they're on a ship aaaaaaand we're off on his second love, taking a shot at faith. The backwards people have it and the advanced don't. By the time the robot side kick "explains" that primitive peoples believe in God and tells a local boy that science teaches something from nothing is an understandable part of our understanding...I'd just had enough.

He had a feel for the sentiment of developing a potentially good show, but the crude jokes that pop up from time to time, and his inability to not turn it all into a condescending bully pulpit have undone that much good will. I'm through with it.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I liked his stand up a long while back. Never liked the show or understood that ascension. And some of the things he's had to say about others, punching down, hasn't sat well with me. His semi-sneering at Kimmel's reverence for Letterman, by way of example.
Say what you will about acting drunk (Jim Lahey, et al at Trailer Park Boys), I enjoy it done well but I don't have a problem with people who offend easily and find it distasteful---to each his own; but Kimmel when he first started on his show, really got drunk on camera, with Snoop Dog and various guests, and I know that I am biased in this regard, but that, to me showed something of his upbringing, something beyond his ability to control, like skin color or sex---like skin color. It's not his fault, but that was a professional gaffe that I cannot un-see, and I have forever held it against him in one regard; I do not care what Kimmel thinks about anything. It's his upbringing, and it's my problem, it's my bias, that I live with. I'm open about it, and that's just the way I am. Kimmel's upbringing is something that he can't change, but that is why he got drunk on camera, when he first started his show. I appreciate him for what he is, and I do not care what he thinks about anything. He has a very funny delivery and good jokes, and I don't care what he thinks. I can't help it. I think it was Back to the Future. Marty's grandfather, on Marty, "He's an idiot. 'Comes from upbringing." Insulting both his grandson, and his daughter, in one penetrating line.
Saw him on Seth's show a while back and he was funny, but he kept saying how he didn't want to be there so he shouldn't have to do a pre interview and that it was up to Seth to engage him. . . I thought that was a bit toolish, if funny. Again, a variation on punching down. It's not refreshingly honest, it's rude.

I might watch it though. :eek:
If Seth is as intelligent as he acts, then I'm sure he appreciated Seinfeld's passive aggression, whether he enjoyed it or not is another question.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Season 5 of The Americans is now available for Amazon Prime subscribers. Recommended TV.

TH, I'll second your opinion of Orville. What a waste of a potentially good concept.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Season 5 of The Americans is now available for Amazon Prime subscribers. Recommended TV.

TH, I'll second your opinion of Orville. What a waste of a potentially good concept.

AMR
It's a shame, because the production values are terrific, the cast (the ones not wasted) have talent and there's an element of charm that speaks to his obvious affection and intimacy with the genre. But it's just undone by his need to use it as a leftist/atheistic bully pulpit.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kevin Can Wait is a flop.

The new Will & Grace is a flop.

One of the new comedy sitcoms I did like was The Carmichael Show.
It did have political content, but made jokes of both sides.

The Lethal Weapon season 2 has started.
It still holds my interest.
Action and comedy mixed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Didst thou binge?
Didn't work out. By the time I got dad through his doctor appointment and ran errands for them the early part of the day was gone. By the time I got mother through her afternoon crisis and the emergency room the rest was gone.

Not a great day. Tomorrow is bound to be better.

I did watch a handful of Zoo episodes over the last several days. It's like Sharknado except I'm less sure it means to be ridiculous. The actors certainly play it straight, but the premise is so unfalteringly laughable I wondered if M. Night penned it in a drunken period that gave birth to The Happening. :plain:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Definitely a challenging day there. I hope your parents get through all right, and I'm glad you're there for them.

Haven't seen the other show, I actually don't watch a lot of series TV on either Netflix or Prime, just a handful of them really. More often than not they don't catch my interest in the first episode or two and I never finish. Some highly regarded series I've never even tried... like being a kid again and not knowing what the popular shows are about because my mom wouldn't let me watch them, only this time I'm standing in the way of myself. :chuckle:

I'm almost better with a movie these days - one and done. But there are at least 3 or 4 series I have enjoyed, and Stranger Things is one of them.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now on Netflix: Bright

Will Smith as an LA cop with an Orc partner dealing with corruption inside and outside the police force in a world that includes fairies, elves, and magic.

Think Lord of the Rings meets the Los Angeles underbelly.

Entertaining.

AMR

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Christmas List:

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott. It is the most straight-played I've ever seen and far and away my favorite. Scott as Scrooge plays it all serious in a way I hadn't seen the Scrooge Caricature done. He plays the character as I'd always imagined him, if acted well. I cannot think I will ever see one like it but I did enjoy Patrick Stewart's version.

Miracle on 34th Street with Richard Attenborough. I like the one with Sebastian Cabot as well. As far as remakes, I enjoy them both about the same.

I'm not a huge Will Ferrell fan but some of his stuff is must-watch (award acceptance, hilarious).
That said, Elf. Every year, along with A Christmas Story (had NO idea about the language in that movie the first 10 times or so). Still, it reminds me so much of my childhood, I still have to watch it almost every year (and yes, including the language :( ).

Even with my kids in their post-teens, we still watch Rankin Bass together as well. Just about all of them.

Because faith is very important, we watch a number of Christmas message movies still.

One of our favorites The Little Troll Prince

Of course Charlie Brown with Linus' Treatment of what Christmas is really all about as well.

And as far as nostalgic if a bit cheesy, I love this one (guilty pleasure?) On This Christmas Night (blatantly70's-80's show :) ). Qualities? Dan Peek from America, Tennessee Ernie Ford (if any older folks remember, I do!), B.W. Stevenson (My Maria, Shambala), BJ Thomas (raindrops keep falling on my head), and etc.