weekly weigh in

SaulToPaul 2

Muscle fibers.

There are two types. Fast-twitch, and slow-twitch. I don't understand how they work but I understand the practical difference. Fast-twitch muscle fibers are able to move more weight, faster; but they fatigue quicker. Slow-twitch muscle fibers can't move as much weight or as fast, but they take longer to fatigue.

Running a marathon relies mostly on slow-twitch muscle fibers, while lifting maximum weight engages fast-twitch muscle fibers more than slow-twitch muscle fibers.

Lifting weights to failure engages fast-twitch muscle fibers, but only towards the failure. Until failure, slow-twitch muscle fibers are more involved.

And, lifting weights as quickly as possible rather than slowly and steadily engages fast-twitch muscle fibers quicker than does training to failure.

If anything here is incorrect, please correct me, as I'm basing my training upon these principles.

Thanks. :)

Interesting, I haven't given a ton of thought to the fast twitch/slow twitch thing.

Heavy resistance (80% of max and up), low reps, has worked well for me.
I'm sure lighter weights and a ton of reps can work well for some people too.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting, I haven't given a ton of thought to the fast twitch/slow twitch thing.

I wonder if that's an anarthous twitch or an articular twitch. :noid:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

As I said, I've been doing 20-rep sets recently, partly because of my injuries, and partly because a wise old man told me to do 20 rep sets. Seeing as how I'm on my way to becoming an old man, I thought I'd give it a try.

The 20 reps provide a bit of cardio work whereas when I used to do less reps I would be lifting just for power. Combining 20 reps with explosive, fast lifts, feels like a very good mix for me, as it works both types of muscle fibers and gives me some cardio training along with strength, which is good because besides lifting (and gardening :)), I am basically sedentary.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If anything here is incorrect, please correct me, as I'm basing my training upon these principles.

Thanks. :)

We have been given many opinions over the years, and it turns out many of them have been wrong. Fast and slow twitch is also with and without oxygen. And what I have observed is the fat comes off much faster without oxygen, which is fast twitch. I notice my heart rate picks up much faster with a load like bench than by any distance where I pace myself.

This goes against everything I saw growing up and into adulthood for some time. Aerobic for weight loss.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like your posts on the cholesterol myth too.

I was disregarding the information due to eating low carbohydrate, high protein and fat anyway. Sozo posted an excellent video. And only the insane or liars would deny the obvious in it. And then I looked up the stuff and found a whole lot of good stuff about the subject. Cholesterol is steroid that the body uses to make testosterone. If you ignore the conclusions of some, and just look at the raw data, you will find said conclusions are wrong.

Even at the CDC. Black men have low cholesterol and high heart disease. White men have more cholesterol and less heart disease then black men. And women have really high cholesterol compared to men, and have less heart disease then men. But that is not the conclusion of the reports, just the statistics they use to draw their conclusions.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
211 after work. Some of that is just dehydration. I ate dinner. Should be 215-216 in the morning. Then again, I have been pretty good the last few weeks with keeping my pie-hole shut.

SaulToPaul 2

I notice a substantial difference when I limit my diet to mostly porkchops, ham, eggs, and salad.
I feel less fleshy and my muscles are harder.

:noid:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I notice a substantial difference when I limit my diet to mostly porkchops, ham, eggs, and salad.
I feel less fleshy and my muscles are harder.

:noid:
We've been eating a lot more salads recently. My wife'll make up some carby salad like pesto pasta, potato or quinoa, with veggies (we've also just bought these made up already from the store), and I'll cook up some protein like steak, chicken or maybe hard boiled eggs or tuna, and then mix it all together with some cut up greens and dressing. It's been really tasty and oddly satisfying (it's not as much food as we'd normally eat), and the kids like it too. Plenty of macronutrients plus plenty of greens and veggies, and it doesn't taste "healthy" because of the protein and fats in there.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
More good news.

Not only has the knee seemed to have healed almost completely, but my shoulders are improving now too.

It's not rest, but surprise surprise, lifting weights that's helping.

My lightest plate is 5 lbs, which is too heavy for my weakened shoulders, so instead I'm using my 3.5 lb mini sledge, holding my arm extended in whichever vector seems weakest, and doing small circles and gradually working out to large circles. The pain I feel is not weakened joints, but weak muscles that are now working hard, so it's just muscle soreness, which, as any lifter knows, is a healthy good thing.

:cheers:

SaulToPaul 2

I blew out out a disc moving furniture a while back and had surgery in 2005.
Up to this point I had never strength trained. I lifted light weights occasionally.

I began deadlifting heavy in 2012, and as my back has gotten stronger, I no longer worry about
re-injuring a disc. I know it could happen, but strength brings confidence that the back will hold up.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I blew out out a disc moving furniture a while back and had surgery in 2005.
Up to this point I had never strength trained. I lifted light weights occasionally.

I began deadlifting heavy in 2012, and as my back has gotten stronger, I no longer worry about
re-injuring a disc. I know it could happen, but strength brings confidence that the back will hold up.
We're supposed to be strong. And it's entirely within our power to make that happen, and to sustain it.

:up: