What Are You Reading Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csuguy

I just finished reading The Cave and the Light: Plato vs Aristotle and the Struggle for the Soul of Western Civilization. Very good, though the last few chapters show strong bias and isn't nearly as well written as the rest of the book, IMO.

I moved onto reading Plato's Cosmology - which is scholarly edition of Plato's Timaeus.

Buzzword

Dang, this thread dropped off the map.

Just finished reading Frank Herbert's Dune.
Fascinating portrayal of the interplay between religion and politics.

Started book 1 of the Dresden Files.

Breathe

An Old Man's War, by John Scalzi. He reads so much like Robert Heinlein, it's spooky and wonderful.

Buzzword

Started Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens last week.

By far the funniest apocalyptic novel ever.

"For every mad scientist who's had a convenient thunderstorm just on the night his Great Work is finished and lying on the slab, there have been dozens who've sat around aimlessly under the peaceful stars while Igor clocks up the overtime."

Dang, this thread dropped off the map.

Just finished reading Frank Herbert's Dune.
Fascinating portrayal of the interplay between religion and politics.

Started book 1 of the Dresden Files.

What did you think of the first book of the Dresden Files? I haven't read it so I'm looking for a mini review.

Buzzword

What did you think of the first book of the Dresden Files? I haven't read it so I'm looking for a mini review.

It's a very fun read. All of the magic elements are well-presented and explained (this being the first book, they're able to get away with that kind of thing without bogging down the story).

Dresden is a relatable character, the magic makes sense consistently, the subplots interweave very well, and it's just overall a really fun story.

Breathe

I am reading The Amateur, by Edward Klein. Google Books describes it thusly:

"It’s amateur hour at the White House. So says New York Times bestselling author Edward Klein in his new political exposé The Amateur. Tapping into the public’s growing sentiment that President Obama is in over his head, The Amateur argues that Obama’s toxic combination of incompetence and arrogance have run our nation and his presidency off the rails. “Obama was both completely inexperienced and ideologically far to the left of Americans when he entered the White House,” says Klein. “And he was so arrogant that he didn’t even know what he didn’t know.” Klein, who is known for getting the inside scoop on everyone from the Kennedys to the Clintons, reveals never-before-published details about the Obama administration’s political inner workings and about Barack and Michelle’s personal lives"

It's quite good

Damian

I'm reading People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck. I'd gotten the book on the recommendation of a couple friends here and had no idea what to expect from it. His approach to evil people from his standpoint as a psychiatrist is absolutely fascinating. He grabbed me from the opening pages.

That sounds like a good one.

Selaphiel

Picked up a few books at the bookshop today that I will start reading now:

On Evil by Terry Eagleton
Fear and Trembling by Sören Kierkegaard
Confessions by St.Augustine
Penguine Classics Selected writings of Thomas Aquinas by (surprisingly) Thomas Aquinas

Cruciform

I'm 15% through Hitchen's memoir... I also read "A Neurosurgeon's Proof of Heaven" and found myself slapping myself in the face at least six times per chapter at the sheer stupidity of it. A whole book based on the appeal to authority fallacy, a complete disaster.
In fact, every positional narrative is an appeal to authority---including Hitchens's.

Cruciform

Robert Spencer, NOT PEACE BUT A SWORD: The Great Chasm Between Chritianity & Islam (Catholic Answers, 2013)

Basil Christopher Butler, ALWAYS INSPIRED: Why Bible-Believing Christians Need the Catholic Church (Sophia Institute Press, 1960)

Shusaku Endo, SILENCE: A Novel (Taplinger, 1969)

Buzzword

Started rereading Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo, one of the bigger theological bombshells I came across while in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.