Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just started reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
    Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
    Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
    Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
      I'm reading People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck. I'd gotten the book on the recommendation of a couple friends here and had no idea what to expect from it. His approach to evil people from his standpoint as a psychiatrist is absolutely fascinating. He grabbed me from the opening pages.
      That sounds like a good one.

Comment

2666: A Novel by Roberto Bolaño

http://www.amazon.com/2666-Novel-Rob...&keywords=2666
        Eph 2:8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift --
        Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
        Eph 2:10 For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them. [HCSB]

Comment

Picked up a few books at the bookshop today that I will start reading now:

On Evil by Terry Eagleton
          Fear and Trembling by Sören Kierkegaard
          Confessions by St.Augustine
          Penguine Classics Selected writings of Thomas Aquinas by (surprisingly) Thomas Aquinas
          "By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Luke 1:78-79)

The Light Eternal, breaking through,
          the world to gleam anew;
          His beams have pierced the core of night,
          He makes us children of the light.

-Martin Luther

Comment

Originally posted by pow wow View Post
            I just finished Heresy Ten Lies They Spread About Christianity by Michael Coren.
            I also recommend Coren's book Why Catholics Are Right. It's fantastic.
            "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Comment

In defense of Israel and the Book of Job.
              He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by xAvarice View Post
                I'm 15% through Hitchen's memoir... I also read "A Neurosurgeon's Proof of Heaven" and found myself slapping myself in the face at least six times per chapter at the sheer stupidity of it. A whole book based on the appeal to authority fallacy, a complete disaster.
                In fact, every positional narrative is an appeal to authority---including Hitchens's.
                "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Comment

Robert Spencer, NOT PEACE BUT A SWORD: The Great Chasm Between Chritianity & Islam (Catholic Answers, 2013)

Basil Christopher Butler, ALWAYS INSPIRED: Why Bible-Believing Christians Need the Catholic Church (Sophia Institute Press, 1960)

Shusaku Endo, SILENCE: A Novel (Taplinger, 1969)

Comment

Started rereading Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian McLaren and Tony Campolo, one of the bigger theological bombshells I came across while in college.
                    “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
                    -Adam Hamilton

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                    X