Clear All

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    What are the odds?
    I'll take those odds!
    I AM the pie lady!!

sigpic

Comment

Tomorrow? The last day of Christmas shopping. Which means I'll be floating about in the sea of dads sitting outside in the car with a book.
      No way! That is so unfair! ....and wrong!
      I AM the pie lady!!

sigpic

Comment

• The Saturday Night Special Gazette

Nodded at the newbie...
        Originally posted by iamaberean View Post
        ...I hope to learn from those in this forum
        Well...there's no harm in optimism.

and possibly to pass on a few things God has shown me.
        Sharing can't be beat, though it has been known to precede a beating around here, so keep a hold of your hat at all times.

In all good things, may the Lord bless us!
        A lovely salutation, closing and life philosophy.

Welcome.

Then SD showed up in the strangest place...
        Originally posted by serpentdove View Post
        The name of his team insults no one who isn't easily offended.
        Not your call. Unless you're a Borg like collective of Native Americans. But I'm guessing you're not.

If you believe he's dishonest, present proof.
        I actually said I believe him. I was noting you said he was honest too. So both of us have reason to expect him to alter his course of action and do better.

...We are one race--the human race. You divide.
        In the sense that distinguishing what's said from what's done can be said to divide the honest from the less so.

You have argued for curtailing the owner's speech.
        I never have. Not once.

We have freedom of speech in our country.
        We do. I've never believed or written otherwise.

We are free to obey and act mannerly.
        If you were well mannered we'd hardly have anything to discuss at all on the point.

THall was back in the police thread...
        Originally posted by THall View Post
        While theretic continues to
        ignore reality
        I not only haven't, I've been arguing you need to learn how to do that, instead of conflating the anecdote with the rule.

there are only over 100 officers involved in this misconduct.

"Gilbert called the shooting "probably one of the worst cases of police misconduct" in U.S. history because of the number of police officers involved. More than 100 officers and 60 police cars, including some driven by supervisors, were involved"
        Gilbert is the lawyer for the suing family. He isn't an impartial party examining the particular.

Else, involved is a fairly ambiguous word. How? Criminal conspiracy? Tangentially? Knowingly or unknowingly? Crime scene techs doing their jobs? Dispatchers? Who and how we justify that sort of inflammatory is important.

theretic
        I get that's your meat, but there's none on that bone.

Decided to do a little of the work for him...
        Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
        So I decided to start looking at percentages and studies. The Cato Institute released one in 2009 that looked at the averages and found:...
        The average national police misconduct rate is estimated to be 834.69 per 100,000 police officers. In 2008 there were an estimated 712,360 state and local law enforcement officers employed in the US for an average of 1 officer for every 231.5 people.

So the rule appears to be overwhelmingly in favor of good cops doing a dangerous, thankless job.

Now set that against this:
        Originally posted by THall View Post
        another brick for you the queen of denial....[anecdote omitted]
        Because police don't have morality issues, right?
        And there you have a distinction between our approaches.

And SD was back...
        ... You call those who value freedom of speech who permit themselves to use the term [redacted use of the n-bomb] rather than the n-word for clarity sake racists?
        Rather, I noted that people who are easy with the term and outside of the race tend to have more issues on the subject than Ebony magazine.

I don't believe statistic over common sense.
        Right, which is why a long, long time ago you'd have sided with the sun orbiting the earth crowd. And you're just as factually wrong now.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics.” ~ James Payn
        Rather, there are liars who misuse statistics, but never fool statisticians.

Then in Truster unloaded in the De Niro thread...
        Originally posted by Truster View Post
        John Wayne was my next example and I'm please that you also saw this. His playing the Roman Centurion in the greatest story ever told was the pits.
        It's hard to do much with a single sentence...

Just look at how little you do with more.

While in the NFL thread Cale inquired on the root of kmo's displeasure with me...
        Originally posted by Caledvwlch View Post
        Jinx because [TH] predicted a Chiefs win? Or because he used the words "not a chance"?
        Originally posted by kmoney View Post
        The latter.
        Well, don't walk under it then.

Have you no shame???
        No. I had some when I got here this morning but I loaned it to Letsargue. Not sure if I'm getting it back any time soon.

Tomorrow? I go quandary mining, a history lessen (yes, yes I know) and the personality thread takes on one of its own.
        You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

• me. dumb

i went to your profile page and still don't see how to make a friend request. do you have to pay to be a subscriber or join a group ? sorry to bother you but you have been helpful already. thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick jane View Post
            i went to your profile page and still don't see how to make a friend request. do you have to pay to be a subscriber or join a group ? sorry to bother you but you have been helpful already. thanks
            This site requires tenure of one week and 25 posts to reach registered plus status. You joined on the 21st so you still lack a few days.

Comment

• bump
              Last edited by Town Heretic; November 27th, 2014, 09:40 PM.

Pro-Life

Comment

"SD dropped by..."
                I dropped by. Alas, no one was home.

Comment

• Originally posted by serpentdove View Post
                  I dropped by. Alas, no one was home.
                  It's always funny to me how people who hold me in public contempt will still show up here, reading.

Go figure.

Pro-Life

Comment

It's always funny to me how people who hold me in public contempt will still show up here, reading.
                    You're being hysterical.
                    Last edited by serpentdove; November 28th, 2014, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• The Turkey Day Gazette

SD dropped by...
                      ... I noted that Leftists cannot form a sentence without an ad hominem attack.
                      I note your irony, not being a leftist or communist.

You believe speech codes should be enforced . We do not.
                      I believe that rules, like laws, obligate us to behave within their constraints if we take the value associated with them and value personal honor. If you don't, just keep hammering at that envelope. Completely up to you.

You believe studies over common sense. I believe common sense over studies.
                      I believe the verifiable fact over desire, to be sure.

And GFR suggested...
                      Originally posted by GFR7
                      ... Having a majority against what I did might give me stern pause.
                      Most people in the world aren't Christians. Are you paused?

I would certainly be insulted, at the least.
                      By what? The majority?

While over in the Religion section...
                      Originally posted by vanityofvanitys
                      Catholicism is not claiming that Scripture is not divinely inspired, we are just contending to many other Christian denominations ignore far too much contained there-in.

One, not least of which, is given His Church the authority to bind or loose sins.
                      Originally posted by Right Divider
                      The authority given to the little flock was not passed on to your corrupt organization.
                      Originally posted by The Barbarian
                      Sorry. God's call, not yours.
                      Originally posted by Town Heretic
                      And so, history would later note, began the 30 Threads' War during which nearly two thirds of TOL's attention span perished in a conflagration of enlightenment.

And in Kat's birthday thread...
                      Originally posted by Spitfire View Post
                      Everyone ignored my last birthday too. (Not that it bothered me, I'd actually rather remain shadowy and unknown anyway.)
                      Well, there goes that bet everyone.

Turing test called, 11/2/04

Revisited trust and apostasy...
                      ...As to "my" trust. It's definitional and appropriate and I'd say that I've mostly heard argument against it by people who, taking another route, have fallen from faith.

What is of moment is whether or not it holds up under scrutiny on the point. And I think it rather does.

To accept God is to trust in Him and not in our ability to encompass Him. And the nature of that trust is clear enough:

"But I trusted in you, O LORD: I said, You are my God." Psalms 31:14

God is then the context of our being. "My God" is not a statement of possession but of being possessed. It is not a wan recognition of authority, but a declaration of all that must be real for us to have meaning, the literal context by which we see and understand all that follows. Anything less than that should be unacceptable to the faithful and is a recipe for disaster and heartbreak for the soul genuinely desiring God.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

That's what I mean when I say place your trust in the object/God and not in your knowledge about and expectations regarding. We are fallible and fight over scraps of understanding. We must then ultimately place our faith in the God who transcends that understanding when it fails us.

Settled up with SD...
                      Classy.
                      Well if there's one thing you should know about:
                      I use the term ni66er not the n-word when discussing the word.
                      ...Does the n-word replace the term ni66er?
                      Why do say the n-word? You are referring to the n-term ni66er.
                      It's not. We all know you are referring to the term ni66er.
                      It's hard because I live to say ni66er, ni66er, ni66er each day. It's my reason for getting out of bed each day.
                      I am free to use the term ni66er when we are discussing the cultural meaning of the term ni66er.
                      I'm always grateful when the day is over when I can sit back, relax and utter my favorite words ni66er ni66er ni66er that I've been withholding all day. My kitty and I put on our matching pointy white hats.
                      it wouldn't be that.

And the age old question...
                      Originally posted by fzappa13 View Post
                      Who's we?
                      Who isn't, mostly?

Tomorrow? Mostly sitting around digesting...no the other sort.

Have a very safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Got a lot of newbies.
                        You need to start doing some more interviews.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
                        They already know monsters exist.
                        We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

• The Sunday Afternoon Gazette

Had this to say about argument among friends...
                          ...most friends will think you're daft about any number of things, disagree with you and have their own reasons for doing so any number of times in your life. And frequently those contrary reasons and positions will stand up, even if you find them unpalatable.

So if you're wise you'll nod and listen and if you're unconvinced thank them for their time and move on. And that's about it. Because that's what you do if you respect a person and they hold another understanding. You offer your perspective and everyone goes away with a little more knowledge than they likely had prior. But you have to respect them first and respect them as you do yourself.

They aren't here to advance [your] ideas and I don't require anyone to accept a thing I say as the truth. That would be a foolish, arrogant posture to hold. It's only my perspective on truth as clearly as I can approach it and as honestly as I can advance it. If there's value in it for you, great. If there isn't, that's life for you.

Then Knight gave me pause...
                          Originally posted by Knight View Post
                          Nobody agrees on everything.
                          Now that we can all agree on...

Continued to help folks drag a light hearted thread into the dust...
                          Originally posted by Thunder's Muse View Post
                          I think part of why people like to put others into categories or boxes is because humans need a point of reference with which to understand something; something familiar that we can measure it by.
                          Another reason is burial.

Which would then make me a DeadNonintuitiveunFeelingnotsomuchPerceiving.

While a new member from Missouri continued to show us...
                          Originally posted by patrick jane
                          Thank God, peaceful in and around St. Louis for the most part
                          Well, there go all the "black Friday" jokes and comments Letsargue had saved up...

Else, good to hear.

Continued to discuss faith and apostasy with Spec...
                          Originally posted by Spectrox War
                          The point is Town that you hadn’t set out your argument in a formal manner and broken it into its constituent parts.
                          No, that was zip's, maybe your point, but as I related in my narrative the formula [offered] was incomplete and mistaken in premise and all of it had, in fact, been addressed in my set out which went beyond it.

That's rather the point of the far less formal and generally accessible forum life. You don't need particular training to posit or to understand and follow argument here. I think that's the better idea on the whole.

However, doubt in x isn’t necessarily willful.
                          How can it be anything else, unless you're of the belief that your cognitions aren't under your control, which strikes me as problematic. The question is upon what is the will predicated. Is it a reasonable response.

If you define x as the God of the Bible, then you would have to define him as a being who is (completely) trustworthy and incapable of causing doubt in a believer. This then becomes a circular argument unless you can demonstrate to some degree that the God of the Bible really is trustworthy.
                          Rather, the problem is found in your interjection of a mistaken causality in premise, to my mind, that it is God who is the cause of doubt. We cause doubt and that goes back to the why of it.

You have defined this yourself about the God of the Bible even though at no point in the NT does it clearly say that trust is necessary for salvation.
                          You isolate to the NT, I think, because the whole cloth gives you problems on the point. Yet when you want to justify doubt you rush back to take in the OT... I've set out the necessity of trust to the point of command prior, gave a couple of OT scriptural references to it. And I've noted the logical necessity of it where love is included. To add to that latter point from the NT:
                          25...Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. Luke 10: 25-27

So we must love God with our whole heart and mind. And what is it that love demands? Among a number of things we learn of love in 1 Corinthian is that it bears, believes and hopes all things and that it endures all things. If I believe in God I must love God and I cannot love God unless I trust God. In fact, trusting in His delivering me from my sin and in His authority is the beginning of the Christian walk.

Matthew Henry has it, in part: "This love is a clear proof of regeneration, and is a touchstone of our professed faith in Christ."

I would agree with this because nothing cannot do anything. So what?
                          So I'm being thorough. God cannot fail you within the Christian context and is incapable outside of it. So the failure is then, in any context, our own.

And if you’re saying that being humble before God doesn’t necessarily mean you should be humble before ALL people then I agree,
                          No, I'm saying it doesn't follow that you will be. Should be? Yes, humility is one reason I find Psalmist's walk a daunting and inspirational one. I'm not in his zip code yet, though God willing and time allowing...everyone has a dream.

Said to a tiger fan (no, the next one)...
                          Originally posted by patrick jane
                          roll tigers
                          Be seeing you.

Tomorrow? As today, Roll Tide!

Pro-Life

Comment

Go figure.
                            But I really like that smiley he/she used. Kind of reminds me of Gdaz and GM, though I'm torn as to which is who.
                            I AM the pie lady!!

sigpic

Comment

• Gazette Bonus (a chatroom extra):

[Yesterday 10:39 AM] bybee: Face Book removed my post about Muslims. It wasn't nice. And we know how nice Muslims are....

[Yesterday 10:09 PM] Town Heretic X: Maybe a dingo ate your post, bybee...

Pro-Life

Comment

Gazette Bonus (a chatroom extra):

[Yesterday 10:39 AM] bybee: Face Book removed my post about Muslims. It wasn't nice. And we know how nice Muslims are....

[Yesterday 10:09 PM] Town Heretic X: Maybe a dingo ate your post, bybee...
                                Wow...And it took you less than 12 hours to come up with that?

Comment

Working...
                                X