• Show
Clear All

• Idolater
    replied
    Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
    And yet his statement is accurate.
    Exactly my point.
    Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
    Being an atheist does not automatically make someone wrong about everything.
    Even in teaching the Gospel.

That's why I quoted him, and that's why I requoted him, because if an atheist understands the Gospel, then shouldn't Christians?

Leave a comment:

• Right Divider
    replied
    Originally posted by Idolater View Post
    The guy was an ATHEIST.
    And yet his statement is accurate.

Being an atheist does not automatically make someone wrong about everything.

Leave a comment:

• JudgeRightly
    replied
    This quote is from a game called Civilization 6. It is a summary of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

Leave a comment:

• Idolater
    replied
    Originally posted by Idolater View Post
    If you don't believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah, and that he rose again from the dead and by his sacrifice our sins are forgiven, you're really not in any meaningful sense a Christian.

Christopher Hitchens
    The guy was an ATHEIST.

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied

My kids to this day quote so many lines from that movie, and when they get started on a round, they can't stop laughing.

When one of them was looking for chapstick, this invariably followed:

"Can you bring me my chapstick?

... But my lips hurt real bad!"

They watched it so many times... on the other hand, my sister sat through 15 minutes and got up and walked out of the theater. It's kind of polarizing that way.

Leave a comment:

• MennoSota
    replied
    "Make yourself some dang kaysa-dillahs Napoleon!" ~ Napoleon Dynamite

Leave a comment:

• The Barbarian
    replied
    "What's wrong with the world, you ask? I am."
    G.K. Chesterton

(bybee, wonderful to see you here, again!)

Leave a comment:

• Danoh
    replied
    I forget who said it, but I have always liked the observation "to know, and not yet to do, is not yet to know."

Another being "feed a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Along its line, is one I came up with, over time, with application of the first of those two - the understanding that 'any success involving having known "the right people" is not really so much about "knowing the right people," rather, about knowing how to get to know such people - and that...is a learn-able skill.'

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Hi bybee, good to see you! It's been a long time.

Leave a comment:

• bybee
    replied
    Hello Anna, long time no see. When power is concentrated over time tyranny results.

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    What is the precise moment, in the life of a country, when tyranny takes hold?

It rarely happens in an instant; it arrives like twilight, and, at first, the eyes adjust.

Evan Osnos

Leave a comment:

• George Affleck
    replied
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." –Jim Elliot

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Life is a shipwreck. Save what you can.

Voltaire

(There are several versions/translations of this quote, but this is the one I like best.)

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Stay with the contradiction. If you stay, you will see the there is always something more than two opposing truths. The whole truth always includes a third part, which is the reconciliation. . . . Try to be quiet inside in the midst of the contradiction. Don't be impatient.

Jacob Needleman, I am not I

Leave a comment:

Working...
X