X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idolater
    replied
    Originally posted by Idolater View Post
    If you don't believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah, and that he rose again from the dead and by his sacrifice our sins are forgiven, you're really not in any meaningful sense a Christian.

Christopher Hitchens
    The guy was an ATHEIST.

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied

My kids to this day quote so many lines from that movie, and when they get started on a round, they can't stop laughing.

When one of them was looking for chapstick, this invariably followed:

"Can you bring me my chapstick?

... But my lips hurt real bad!"

They watched it so many times... on the other hand, my sister sat through 15 minutes and got up and walked out of the theater. It's kind of polarizing that way.

Leave a comment:

• MennoSota
    replied
    "Make yourself some dang kaysa-dillahs Napoleon!" ~ Napoleon Dynamite

Leave a comment:

• The Barbarian
    replied
    "What's wrong with the world, you ask? I am."
    G.K. Chesterton

(bybee, wonderful to see you here, again!)

Leave a comment:

• Danoh
    replied
    I forget who said it, but I have always liked the observation "to know, and not yet to do, is not yet to know."

Another being "feed a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Along its line, is one I came up with, over time, with application of the first of those two - the understanding that 'any success involving having known "the right people" is not really so much about "knowing the right people," rather, about knowing how to get to know such people - and that...is a learn-able skill.'

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Hi bybee, good to see you! It's been a long time.

Leave a comment:

• bybee
    replied
    Hello Anna, long time no see. When power is concentrated over time tyranny results.

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    What is the precise moment, in the life of a country, when tyranny takes hold?

It rarely happens in an instant; it arrives like twilight, and, at first, the eyes adjust.

Evan Osnos

Leave a comment:

• George Affleck
    replied
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." –Jim Elliot

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Life is a shipwreck. Save what you can.

Voltaire

(There are several versions/translations of this quote, but this is the one I like best.)

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Stay with the contradiction. If you stay, you will see the there is always something more than two opposing truths. The whole truth always includes a third part, which is the reconciliation. . . . Try to be quiet inside in the midst of the contradiction. Don't be impatient.

Jacob Needleman, I am not I

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    The question of free will touches nearly everything we care about. Morality, law, politics, religion, public policy, intimate relationships, feelings of guilt and personal accomplishment — most of what is distinctly human about our lives seems to depend upon our viewing one another as autonomous persons, capable of free choice. . . .

The fact that our choices depend on prior cause does not mean that choice doesn’t matter. To sit back and see what happens is also a choice that has its own consequences. So, the choices we make in life are as important as people think, but the next choice you make will come out of a wilderness of prior causes that you cannot see and did not bring into being.

Sam Harris, Free Will

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    Reality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends on what we look for. What we look for depends on what we think. What we think depends on what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is our reality.

David Bohm

Leave a comment:

• annabenedetti
    replied
    I closed the box and put it in a closet.
    There is no real way to deal with everything we lose.

Joan Didion

Leave a comment:

• patrick jane
    replied
    BY WILLIAM ERNEST HENLEY

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance