Favorite Quotations

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"I cannot conceive how anybody in his right mind should go to a psychoanalyst." Vladimir Nabokov

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." William Wordsworth

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried.

To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.

All of the above quotes are by Gilbert K. Chesterton

dreadknought

Have a favorite quotation?

Famous, infamous, obscure, secular, religious, ancient, modern. profound, pithy or humorous: post it here.

If you have context or commentary, feel free to add that too.
:wave:

“These woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.”
Robert Frost

From the preface of C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity: “I hope no reader will suppose that ‘mere’ Christianity is here put forward as an alternative to the creeds of the existing communions—as if a man could adopt it in preference to Congregationalism or Greek Orthodoxy or something else. It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable. It is true that some people may find they have to wait in the hall for a considerable time, while others feel certain almost at once which door they must knock at. I do not know why there is this indifference, but I am sure God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for him to wait. When you do get into your room you will find that the long wait has done you some kind of good which you would not have had otherwise. But you must regard it as waiting, not as camping. You must keep on praying for light: and, of course, even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house. And above all you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and paneling. In plain language, the question should never be; ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but “Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?’

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.”

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
When Mother Theresa arrived in Calcutta with just threepence people laughed, "what's an old woman with threepence going to do here?"

She replied "With threepence and Jesus I can do anything"

Thunder's Muse

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~ Marianne Williamson

This quote is my all time fave...it carries a very deep, personal meaning for me.

Dena

In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught. - Baba Dioum

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity. - Henry David Thoreau

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world - John Muir

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

We must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Buzzword

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so sure of themselves and the wise so full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not sure this qualifies for "Favorite Quotations, but there is one from the OT concerning King Saul that stood out to me when I was kid, it was a from a message that I hear an evangelist used in his message, "This Night."

His text...

But God said to him, "Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?" Luke 12:20

The quote from his message...

Then Saul said, "I have sinned...Indeed I have played the fool and erred exceedingly." 1 Samuel 26:21

Followed by this closing verse...

And He said to them, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!" Mark 4:9