Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Visitor

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857191...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A beautiful, character driven drama with humanity at its core, often amid bureaucratic inhumanity featuring a brilliantly understated performance from Richard Jenkins in the central role with effective righteous ire when needed in a story where different cultures meet but common values are what is important.
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
      The Visitor

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857191...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A beautiful, character driven drama with humanity at its core, often amid bureaucratic inhumanity featuring a brilliantly understated performance from Richard Jenkins in the central role with effective righteous ire when needed in a story where different cultures meet but common values are what is important.

I saw this and remember thoroughly enjoying it, although I remember so little else (my fault, not the fault of the movie) that you've prompted me to find it again.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

• Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
        I saw this and remember thoroughly enjoying it, although I remember so little else (my fault, not the fault of the movie) that you've prompted me to find it again.
        It's so worth repeated watches anyway so I hope you find it again and enjoy it just as much as I did yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
          I've got this on my Prime watchlist, waiting for them to make it rentable. Hope you're back soon, my friend. You're missed.

Comment

• Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood: Not a fairytale, it takes pretend and captures something real.

I saw it last weekend and although it's quite a long movie, it didn't feel like it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt were amazing, Margot Robbie was beautiful, fleeting and ephemeral, a true-to-life Sharon Tate. The cinematography and the lighting were gorgeous. I don't know the first thing about filmmaking but I know how a movie makes me feel, and as a native Southern Californian and a child of the 60s, I knew it was fantasy but it felt like home, it felt like old memories. I had a similar reaction to Tangerine and Bosch, but as a comparison, Florida Project, washed as it was in its own kind of light felt different because that was Florida light, not California light. The movie was less violent than I expected until near the end, and then as expected I did have to kind of look at the edges of the screen for a bit. I loved the twist of who Margot was watching in the movie theater. But that final scene, though... and the music. Going back to see it again.

Comment

• PS: Completely aside, The New Yorker usually has impeccable editing, but in this review of Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, how did this run-on sentence pass muster?
              A mostly functional alcoholic, he wanders Los Angeles—from his house, on Cielo Drive, in the Hollywood Hills, which he bought when he was more prosperous, to studios for the occasional day of filming, and to various watering holes, ferried around by his confidant and employee, Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt).

Eight commas and an Em dash.

Comment

• Spider-Man: Far From Home American superhero gets yanked around in Europe.
                Learn to read what is written.

_____
                The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

• A little gem of a short with Willem defoe ideally cast as a man who literally can't stop smiling. A neat twist as well.

Comment

• One of those films you just stumble across while looking for something and what a little gem it is. I only wish it had gone on a bit longer. Brilliant performances in what's ostensibly a comedy drama but with the emphasis on drama overall as essentially three disparate people connect from entirely different perspectives and form a bond.

The Station Agent

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/?ref_=tt_urv

Comment

• (deleted - posted by mistake)
                      Last edited by ok doser; December 24th, 2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Marriage Story - I like Adam Driver and I like Scarlett Johansson but I don't get the hype, all I could think of was ABC Afterschool Special.

Comment

• Disney+ has a great one in Togo, the story of the real hero of a 1925 diphtheria serum run to Nome, Alaska. While Balto received the lion's share of the glory and a statue in NYC's Central Park, he actually only ran the final 30 miles, the same distance several other dog sled teams ran before his relay hand-off on the home stretch. Undersized and pushing old age for a sled dog, Togo's initial run covered 250 of the most dangerous miles. He even managed to pull the sled and team behind him to safety in a broken ice flow. That narrative, mixed with the developing relationship between him and his owner/trainer, makes for an immensely satisfying film.
                          You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                            Brevity is golden. Title and one line that sums up why we should or shouldn't care about the movie.
                            Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                            Disney+ has a great one in Togo, the story of the real hero of a 1925 diphtheria serum run to Nome, Alaska. While Balto received the lion's share of the glory and a statue in NYC's Central Park, he actually only ran the final 30 miles, the same distance several other dog sled teams ran before his relay hand-off on the home stretch. Undersized and pushing old age for a sled dog, Togo's initial run covered 250 of the most dangerous miles. He even managed to pull the sled and team behind him to safety in a broken ice flow. That narrative, mixed with the developing relationship between him and his owner/trainer, makes for an immensely satisfying film.
                            That looks like more than one line.

_____
                            The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                            ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

• Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
                              That looks like more than one line.
                              Only the last line would really qualify as a review. ;L)
                              You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post

Only the last line would really qualify as a review. ;L)
                                TL;DR;

_____
                                ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Comment

Working...
                                X