Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Seriously. Where did they go?

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherman View Post
    If anyone comes here to engage in personal attacks, I don't care who you are, you will be booted from this thread.
    Where did my posts go?

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:1-3).
    I like that, Jerry. Thanks for sharing it.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Shugart
    replied
    "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:1-3).

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I didn't enter any thread to start trouble, only to share something that I felt might have value.
    Several people disagree with your assessment. Are you here to discuss your ideas or are you truly a coward?
    I think honest disagreement about a topic can and should be held above the belt.
    What you think is irrelevant.

If you want a discussion, have one.

If you don't, there's the door.

Leave a comment:

• Sherman
    replied
    I abominate the practice of picking at someone because of disagreement with views. It just is not productive. Rather it is childish. Instead let's have civil debate.

That being said, don't engage or discuss the folks that pick at you. That way they won't have an excuse.

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherman View Post
    If anyone comes here to engage in personal attacks, I don't care who you are, you will be booted from this thread.

From the TOL rules:

"Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you."
    Appreciated. I didn't enter any thread to start trouble, only to share something that I felt might have value. I understand not everyone will agree with me on any particular point, but I think honest disagreement about a topic can and should be held above the belt. I'm glad to see you continuing to hold that line here.

Leave a comment:

• Sherman
    replied

From the TOL rules:

"Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you."

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    I'm going to close this one down until an issue is resolved.

Sorry to those of you who have attempted to advance the conversation or share something meaningful otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    Went outside late with Joanna and Jack because they told me, "It (the eclipse) won't happen again for eighteen years!"

Watched the two of them shivering in the cold, wonderstruck, and thought that a rarer and more beautiful thing was happening right in front of me.

I can do eighteen years standing on my head.

Better, I won't have to wait a few decades to see it happen again. Only until the next thing that catches their imagination.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Shugart
    replied
    Originally posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    I believe assurance can be gained in our walk of faith from feeding our faith and starving our doubts by not neglecting daily Scripture study, rejoicing in hope, being patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer (Romans 12:12), fellowship with other believers, keeping stewardship of the secular and spiritual gifts God has given us, and with regular assembly with others to worship God, receive instruction, access the ordinary means of grace, and be subject to discipline.
    Full assurance happens the moment a person believes the gospel:
    "For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction" (1 Thess.1:5; NIV).

According to your ideas assurance cannot come to a person until he has done this or done that even though the gospel comes in the power of God (1 Cor.2:5) and in the Holy Spirit and results in those with saving faith have the "evidence" of things not seen (Heb.11:1).

A person with saving faith has this "evidence" the moment he believes and the same evidence provides full assurance that what is revealed in true. But according to you "assurance" is gained in our walk.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Shugart
    replied
    Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Intellectually, yes. But it won't stick. It's like wondering if there are lions in the attic. Intellectually, I understand it's possible, but contemplating it still feels absurd against the experience of my life in this house.
    Town, what "truth" do you think that is being referred to in the following passage written by the Apostle John?:
    "The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever" (2 Cor.2:2).

At one point in time I called myself a Christian but I had some doubts about whether the revelation revealed in the Bible was true. Then one day while I was reading the Bible I knew for certain, beyond any doubt, that it is true. At that moment I knew that I had been "born of God," "born of the Spirit," "born again."

Those who don't experience this birth are ,for some reason, "resisting the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51) which accompanies the gospel.

Of course the LORD who made us can communicate with us in such a way whereby that we know beyond any doubt that the revelation He gives us is true.

And that happened in my case. And the Bible testifies to the truth that those who have been born again "know" these things are true because the Lord has given us an "understanding" of them:
    "And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ" (1 Jn.5:20).

Even though the Lord Himself has given us an understanding that comes in power and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance you say that we can be in doubt. If you are right then the Lord gave us a inadequate "understanding" or an insufficient "understanding" so that we may know Him.

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    Hey AMR. For some reason I couldn't get the quote function to work. I'd say there would be no real point to scripture noting that none God has can be lost to Him without that reflecting what I'm speaking to, the ability to lose our way for a time, to have our vision obscured, to rest in our understanding instead of relying on God, but I never doubt that God will bring those through their personal wilderness.

I'm not suggesting this is true of all apostates, but then I've met apostates whose claim to Christianity appeared, upon mutual reflection and examination, to be more the product of social conditioning or experimentation than conviction.

I am convinced that men can be blinded by anger, grief, and ego into a darkness that only time and God can pierce.

Leave a comment:

• Ask Mr. Religion
    replied
    Someone claiming to have lost their faith, never possessed it in the first place. True believers persevere in faith and sanctity not by their good works but by the grace of God. It is impossible that those whom the Father gave to the Son, for whom the Son intentionally laid down his life, whom the Holy Spirit has efficaciously brought to new life and true faith, whom the Spirit has united to Christ, whom God has justified and adopted, whom he will finally save by grace alone, through faith alone, should be lost. Salvation belongs to the Lord.

When WCF 17.1 says that you can neither totally nor finally fall, it acknowledges the possibility that you may partially and penultimately fall. Similarly we would say that the elect are not totally or finally deceived as to fundamental points of truth necessary for salvation; but that means they can be partially and penultimately deceived and deal with great confusion.

Any decent theologian worth his salt can distinguish between the act and the habit of faith. The act of faith may recede beyond your ability to discern it; but the habit is there. So it is true that the elect never lose their faith; it is not true that the faith of the elect is always sensible to them or visible to others. In having doubts or temptations, etc., there's certainly some weakness in the acting of faith; but that doesn't imply its entire destruction.

Perseverance is not a straight line. Sometimes perseverance looks like joyful triumphing over problems. Sometimes perseverance looks like Job: struggling, flailing, uttering words without wisdom, but retaining his integrity and resolving to trust God even though it kills him. Perseverance in faith is not necessarily freedom from confusion, doubts, and wrong ideas, but continuing to trust the Lord (or continually returning to that trust after forgetting!) and seeking to hear His word.

Firstly, I firmly believe that those whom God chose and accepted in Christ He effectually called and sanctified by His Spirit; can neither totally or finally fall away from the state of grace. The believer is eternally saved and shall persevere until the end (Phil. 1:6; 2 Peter 1:10; Rom. 8:28-30; John 10:28-29; 1 John 3:9; 5:18; 1 Peter 1:5, 9).

Secondly, even true believers may have their assurance of faith shaken by several things; it may be diminished or even interrupted; such as negligence in preserving it, by falling into sins which wound the conscience and grieve the Holy Spirit. Also, these things can happen by some sudden or particularly vile temptation, by God's withdrawing the light of His face, or suffering the same things that cause fear to those who walk in darkness having no light (Psa. 31:22; 51:8, 12, 14; 77:1-10; Eph. 4:30-31; Matt. 26:69-72; Luke 22:31-44).

However, the true believer is never totally destitute of the seed of God and the life of faith that in the end their love of Christ and the church having a conscience to their duties by operation of the Holy Spirit will in due time be restored (1 John 3:9; Luke 22:32; Psa. 51:8, 12; 73:15). In the meantime, they are supported to keep them from utter despair (Micah 7:7-9; Jer. 32:40; Isa. 54:7-14; 2 Cor. 4:8-10).

We need to trust God's word, not our fickle feelings, when He says:

"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life."

I believe assurance can be gained in our walk of faith from feeding our faith and starving our doubts by not neglecting daily Scripture study, rejoicing in hope, being patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer (Romans 12:12), fellowship with other believers, keeping stewardship of the secular and spiritual gifts God has given us, and with regular assembly with others to worship God, receive instruction, access the ordinary means of grace, and be subject to discipline.

For more:

http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4495390

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?101223-Why-shouldn-t-I-convert-from-Evangelical-Protestant-to-Catholic&p=4348822&viewfull=1#post4348822

AMR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X