A Momentary Life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Idolater View Post
    ...I did notice recently, emerging out of the east, the constellation Orion. He's lying on his back right now, but soon, he'll stand up and run across from the east to the south and then to the west, where he'll hide until next fall, when he'll once again rise up from his slumber, to make his annual walk across the sky once again, as he's been doing for millennia.
    Especially late into the night now, Orion has begun his traverse across the night sky. He comes up out of the east rather quickly now, and gets up higher into the sky and has begun to stand upright.

'Such a mystery to me, what was going on with Orion, when he first appeared this year. This is only one or two years into my pondering of the night sky, I never watched it so closely, so it was all brand new. Finally, something clicked in my brain, and I realized, 'It's because Orion is So Far Away, that it looks like that.' That's why it can look like he's rising up from the grave or from sleep, getting up and walking across the night sky, because he's So Far Away.

And that reminded me of 'Celestrial Spheres,'1 which is how the ancients modeled what they saw occurring throughout each year, which is perceptibly the exact same thing that I'm seeing now. They figured that Orion was on a distinct sphere with its own independent behavior from other spheres, e.g., those that contained the planets. That's how they explained his counterintuitive behavior.

And all of this is because, as I've said, I take the dog out for its nightly ritual now, so I'm a captive audience when the stars are out. Speaking of which, the dog wasn't feeling well the other day, vomited, and then, sniffed it, and then, began to lick it. It reminded me of 2nd Peter 2:22 KJV and Proverbs 26:11 KJV.

Stupid dog.

1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_spheres
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

• Life, if it's going to be worth living, has to be optimistic.

Vine near the summit of Lookout Mountain
      This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
        Life, if it's going to be worth living, has to be optimistic.

Vine near the summit of Lookout Mountain
        Everybody's going to die.

How do you spin that?

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Everybody's going to die.

How do you spin that?
          Stop worrying about it.

Comment

Stop worrying about it.
            That's it? What if they say, "But I can't stop worrying about it?" Just lather, rinse, and repeat? You've got to give them a reason for optimism, not just see their pessimism and say "you're doing it wrong."

We're all, gonna die. Why be optimistic?

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

That's it? What if they say, "But I can't stop worrying about it?" Just lather, rinse, and repeat? You've got to give them a reason for optimism, not just see their pessimism and say "you're doing it wrong."

We're all, gonna die. Why be optimistic?
              We aren't dead yet....there's a reason to be optimistic, yes?

Comment

That's it? We're all, gonna die. Why be optimistic?
                Some of us don't see dying as a horrible thing. When it's time, it's time. And if you accept God, you have the hope of joining Him.

Comment

• Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
                  We aren't dead yet....there's a reason to be optimistic, yes?
                  Optimistic about all of us not dying? No, there is no reason for that. I mean, outside of Barbarian just baldly asserting that we should be anyway.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Some of us don't see dying as a horrible thing. When it's time, it's time.
                    It's literally the worst thing, when you crunch the numbers. I've done the math.
                    Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                    And if you accept God, you have the hope of joining Him.
                    The bishops are supposed to believe that, "There is not a single aspect of the Christian message that is not in part an answer to the question of evil," and in this case, that "evil," is Death.

So I agree.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Optimistic about all of us not dying? No, there is no reason for that. I mean, outside of Barbarian just baldly asserting that we should be anyway.
                      Not exactly what I said or meant. No matter.

Comment

Some of us don't see dying as a horrible thing. When it's time, it's time. And if you accept God, you have the hope of joining Him.
                        Well said, and Paul would agree.
                        2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

2 Corinthians 5:6Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Comment

• What does "accept God" mean, and how does it forgive sins and make the unrighteous righteous?
                          "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
                          Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
                          By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

• It's a particular pleasure, staying at very old, but comfortable hotels.

Comment

• This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• Seeing my new grandchild, in awe of the miracle.

Comment

Working...
                                X