A Momentary Life...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Went outside late with Joanna and Jack because they told me, "It (the eclipse) won't happen again for eighteen years!"

Watched the two of them shivering in the cold, wonderstruck, and thought that a rarer and more beautiful thing was happening right in front of me.

I can do eighteen years standing on my head.

Better, I won't have to wait a few decades to see it happen again. Only until the next thing that catches their imagination.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm going to close this one down until an issue is resolved.

Sorry to those of you who have attempted to advance the conversation or share something meaningful otherwise. :cheers:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If anyone comes here to engage in personal attacks, I don't care who you are, you will be booted from this thread.

From the TOL rules:

"Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If anyone comes here to engage in personal attacks, I don't care who you are, you will be booted from this thread.

From the TOL rules:

"Please do not marginalize TOL threads or TOL members, the topics and threads that interest some TOL members might not interest you. Just ignore threads and TOL members that do not interest you."
Appreciated. I didn't enter any thread to start trouble, only to share something that I felt might have value. I understand not everyone will agree with me on any particular point, but I think honest disagreement about a topic can and should be held above the belt. I'm glad to see you continuing to hold that line here.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I abominate the practice of picking at someone because of disagreement with views. It just is not productive. Rather it is childish. Instead let's have civil debate.

That being said, don't engage or discuss the folks that pick at you. That way they won't have an excuse.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't enter any thread to start trouble, only to share something that I felt might have value.
Several people disagree with your assessment. Are you here to discuss your ideas or are you truly a coward?
I think honest disagreement about a topic can and should be held above the belt.
What you think is irrelevant.

If you want a discussion, have one. :up:

If you don't, there's the door. :thumb:

Jerry Shugart

"I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:1-3).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph.4:1-3).
I like that, Jerry. Thanks for sharing it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Found 'em:

There's not much use in saying [you don't agree with Jerry]; you don't have a systematic basis from which to discuss the issue. You use emotive language to talk about a man's eternity, which means you can simply refuse to acknowledge the internal consistency of an objection raised against your ideas.

For example, you speak of a man "losing his faith," which can look like it means they have given up their salvation, but then when called on it, you start talking about simple faithlessness — which is an entirely different thing.

You're not engaging in any fashion [with AMR] designed to reach a conclusion. You need a systematic theology and to stick to it if you want to be convincing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

H/T to the dude who pointed out that the reports in the Woodshed held the text. :up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One of my students asked me if people were vertebrates or invertebrates. I answered with vertebrates, but admitted that recently there had been reason to question whether or not that rule extended to the Commissioner of the NFL.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fill your mind with cynicism and you leave no room for faith.

Fill your heart with anger and you leave no room for hope.

Fill your soul with with judgement and you leave no room for love.

Fill your day with each of these and you leave no room for God.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
44267160430_0aa1237495_c.jpg

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" - Robert Browning

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There's not much use in saying [you don't agree with Jerry]; you don't have a systematic basis from which to discuss the issue. You use emotive language to talk about a man's eternity, which means you can simply refuse to acknowledge the internal consistency of an objection raised against your ideas.

For example, you speak of a man "losing his faith," which can look like it means they have given up their salvation, but then when called on it, you start talking about simple faithlessness — which is an entirely different thing.

You're not engaging in any fashion [with AMR] designed to reach a conclusion. You need a systematic theology and to stick to it if you want to be convincing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

glorydaz

Found 'em:

H/T to the dude who pointed out that the reports in the Woodshed held the text. :up:

I love cruising the Woodshed. Lots of cool stuff in there. :wave: