Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

allsmiles

I've subscribed before, and I've bought a subscription for Granite, but things have changed since then. I'm not here to support Christians, I'm here to tear them down. It would fly in the face of my principles to contribute money to a cause that I am diametrically opposed to, and it would also fly in the face of my vices which require constant financial attention.

C

cattyfan

I've subscribed before, and I've bought a subscription for Granite, but things have changed since then. I'm not here to support Christians, I'm here to tear them down. It would fly in the face of my principles to contribute money to a cause that I am diametrically opposed to, and it would also fly in the face of my vices which require constant financial attention.

So...you think it's important enough for you to be here...and your "mission" is important enough for you to state it and pursue it...and, given how often you're here, this could be termed one of your vices...but you don't think you should support the site (which is what gives you the opportunity to pursue your goal)?

bybee

Surprise!

Surprise!

The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late as to why those that have made over 1,000 posts here remain non-subscribers. You would be one whose userID is shown in blue typeface.

I think I am qualified to ask the question, as I have subscribed here since day one, and Lord knows, I have the infractions and bannings to prove that my opinions are not necessarily those of the management or popular culture here. Sigh.

I realize the rules allow non-subscribers. But I am wondering what your underlying motivations are for not subscribing, even at the lowest level, the green level, of $3/month or $30/year?

In other words, what would have to happen at TOL that would incentivize you to subscribe?

For the record, I am posting this on my own accord, and not as a shill for TOL's management. No one asked me to do this, and no doubt, some of those that respect my posted positions will be taken aback. In fact, management may very well ban me for even making such a post and I will accept their ruling, as I have several times in the past. ;(

It just seems to me that a site that obviously costs money to maintain, and one that explicitly offers the owners a means of recuperating costs via subscriptions, should expect to understand why a frequent poster, someone I define to be one with over 1000 posts, remains a non-subscriber. This is the thread wherein you can lay it all on the line and be heard.

I don't think that reasons along the lines of "well, TOL's views are different from mine" hold much merit. Clearly, my own views are at odds with many herein. For me, the value received, versus the value extended, is the only factor in a monetary decision. If you have spent the time to make over 1000 posts here you have obviously formulated a value proposition, and it begs the question of the opening post of this thread: Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Thoughts?

AMR

I agree with you here! If you spend time on this web page and enjoy the exchanges then by all means support it. Being an open-theist I don't agree with you on much of anything, but, perhaps God decided in the beginning that I should support TOL? peace, bybee

allsmiles

So...you think it's important enough for you to be here...and your "mission" is important enough for you to state it and pursue it...and, given how often you're here, this could be termed one of your vices...but you don't think you should support the site (which is what gives you the opportunity to pursue your goal)?

Allsmiles' vices:

Pot, cocaine and binge drinking.

Do you really want TOL in that list?

chair

You have expressed this well.

For those of you who can't follow this, think of the following situation. Let's say there was a fundamentalist Muslim site that you made a point of frequenting and posting on. You did this in order to clear up misunderstandings of Christianity, and to show them teh weak points in there beliefs.

Would you contribute money to that site?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late . . .

Thoughts?

AMR​

:think:

To me it's worth the one feature of TOL that I really like is the Biblegateway link that will bring up the verse(s) you post when you click on it, like John 14:6 and Romans 10:8-13, and that to me is worth the donation, re-upping or upgrading our subscriptions, etc., or going from blue to green.

That's what I think :thumb:​

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Allsmiles' vices:

Pot, cocaine and binge drinking.

Do you really want TOL in that list?

Sure.

All you would have to do is give up a quater gram of coke, an 8th of weed, or a good bottle of vodka.

And besides, it's just once a year.

C'mon time is running out.

allsmiles

Sure.

All you would have to do is give up a quater gram of coke, an 8th of weed, or a good bottle of vodka.

And besides, it's just once a year.

C'mon time is running out.

:squint:

Apples and oranges. TOL isn't a vice to me. It's not a guilty pleasure. Wrong category.

If ever I'm presented with the opportunity to get for free any of the items you mention above, I am certain that I will take advantage of that opportunity.

And, on more than a few occasions, I've found that I'm getting exactly what I pay for here at TOL.

:rolleyes:

nicholsmom

You have expressed this well.

For those of you who can't follow this, think of the following situation. Let's say there was a fundamentalist Muslim site that you made a point of frequenting and posting on. You did this in order to clear up misunderstandings of Christianity, and to show them teh weak points in there beliefs.

Would you contribute money to that site?

What a funny question. It's like "Let's say that pigs flew and they could teach you to fly too. Would you pay them for that service?" Fundamentalist Muslims are an exclusive club - they kill people for proselytizing. Heck, they kill people for converting from Islam. And you think that they would host a site where they let Christians explain their faith? And do it for free? I'm not seein' it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We do appreciate all the members that participate on TOL even those that don't contribute financially. However, truth be told... if we can't pay the bills... we will close up shop, so its great if you have the ability to help out financially.

TOL, has grown so much over the years. Growing can be a "good problem". It's neat to be one of the bigger, better, forums on the internet but with that comes the necessity of things like a dedicated server and those things are not cheap.

Dena

What a funny question. It's like "Let's say that pigs flew and they could teach you to fly too. Would you pay them for that service?" Fundamentalist Muslims are an exclusive club - they kill people for proselytizing. Heck, they kill people for converting from Islam. And you think that they would host a site where they let Christians explain their faith? And do it for free? I'm not seein' it.

Plenty of Christians have killed people as well. They have killed for religion. They have killed for God. They have killed for just about any and every reason...or for no reason at all. Do all Christians kill people? No. Do all Muslims kill people?

I could give all sorts of reasons why I don't have a subscription (I have contributed a few dollars in the past). I can also blame in on my husband. He'd kill me for paying to use a message board!! :rotfl:

keypurr

We do appreciate all the members that participate on TOL even those that don't contribute financially. However, truth be told... if we can't pay the bills... we will close up shop, so its great if you have the ability to help out financially.

TOL, has grown so much over the years. Growing can be a "good problem". It's neat to be one of the bigger, better, forums on the internet but with that comes the necessity of things like a dedicated server and those things are not cheap.

You right Mr Knight. I call you MR. Knight because you deserve a lot of respect for the work you have done to bring so many people toghether in one place. Where one can say their mind and find out why someone else thinks different.
You carried me for a few years on TOL and I finally said I want to be part of the club. I am in my seventys, retired on a small pension and SS, I'm disable and can't work and I have as many bills as any one.
But this is God's work and I wish I could double what I give. Every day I check TOL and I enjoy pondering with my brothers and sisters who care enough about God and mankind to get together and think of him.
God bless TOL and God bless you Mr. Knight. Thank you friend.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Adopting your perspective, it would seem to me that you certainly appreciate the value received, in that you have a venue to hold forth on your views. By participating you have explicitly established a value to yourself. The only question that remains is whether or not the venue should continue to enable your pontifications. Said value requires monetization to support the venue, e.g., servers, license fees, technical support, etc. In short, your explanation is at odds with the obvious facts of the matter. Hence, you are being logically inconsistent.

AMR