moderator malfeasance

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMJerusha

By who? You are the first person (besides catholics of course who just say that to try to "prove" they arent idolotors because they DO pray to statues and stuff) who has ever made that kind of baseless claim that ive ever seen.

Oh come on, I've heard people claim that some have made an idol out of the Bible.

I can't possibly be the only person other than Catholics who believe that the intentions and attitudes of the heart are what counts.

musterion

Oh come on, I've heard people claim that some have made an idol out of the Bible.

Yes, liberals and the cults, both of whom deny the fact that God Himself has elevated His Word above His very Name (Ps 138:2). But that's their problem, not mine.

I can't possibly be the only person other than Catholics who believe that the intentions and attitudes of the heart are what counts.
It would help if you could provide an example of God blessing, say, bowing before manufactured likenesses of the dead as long as one's intent is right.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Have you ever seen them claim we pray to it?

Thats a whole different issue, who claims protestants pray to a cross or pray to the alter in a church besides catholics in debates when people ask them why they pray to statues of dead saints and to statues of mary?

You are the only non catholic ive ever seen who has suggested that any non catholic christian worships or prays to a cross.

IMJerusha

Have you ever seen them claim we pray to it?

No, but it isn't necessary to pray to something to make an idol of it.

Thats a whole different issue, who claims protestants pray to a cross or pray to the alter in a church besides catholics in debates when people ask them why they pray to statues of dead saints and to statues of mary?

You are the only non catholic ive ever seen who has suggested that any non catholic christian worships or prays to a cross.

Well, I was raised in unique circumstances, I guess. I had a lot of friends in New York of various faith expressions and I got to experience all of them.

musterion

Okay, I'll say this and drop it.

Non-literalists may claim to respect literalists but in my experience, there is NO ONE in all of Christendom they hold more deeply in contempt. Your pastor friend's joke is highly focused and targeted...but whatever.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, but it isn't necessary to pray to something to make an idol of it.

Well, I was raised in unique circumstances, I guess. I had a lot of friends in New York of various faith expressions and I got to experience all of them.

Same here, ive had many friends in and attended many different churches in my life, and you are still the ONLY non catholic i have EVER seen make such a claim.

musterion

How exactly would one idolize the Word of God, were he/she inclined to do so? What would that even look like?

IMJerusha

Yes, liberals and the cults, both of whom deny the fact that God Himself has elevated His Word above His very Name (Ps 138:2). But that's their problem, not mine.

Well, actually, David states "you have exalted above all things your name and your word.." not His Word over His Name. It's kind of like David is saying that God's Word is His bond.

It would help if you could provide an example of God blessing, say, bowing before manufactured likenesses of the dead as long as one's intent is right.

You don't believe there will be Catholics in heaven? I can not judge what is in a person's heart. Only God can do that.

musterion

Well, actually, David states "you have exalted above all things your name and your word.." not His Word over His Name. It's kind of like David is saying that God's Word is His bond.

http://biblehub.com/text/psalms/138-2.htm

You don't believe there will be Catholics in heaven?
Not as Catholics, any more than any Baptist or Presbyterian will be there because they belong to either of those groups, or to any other. If anyone is there, it will be because they believed the Gospel of the grace of God, which Rome has anathematized. So...if all Catholics ar trusting what ROME says must be done to be saved, and since Rome anathematized, denied and replaced the Gospel of grace...no, there will be no Catholics in heaven. If any of them believe the Gospel of grace, it will be in spite of Rome, not because of it, so the phrasing of your question is inaccurate.

I can not judge what is in a person's heart. Only God can do that.
Out of the mouth speaks the overflow of the heart. A person's testimony of what they believe regarding what we must do to be saved is a foolproof indicator of whether they're justified by God or condemned by Him. No judging is involved, it's simply comparing what they believe with what the Bible already says.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Bibolatry is one of the most common modern idolatries. The Bible we have was a product of tradition among men, whom we believe to have been inspired by God.

It is not God, and raising it to that level is wrong. And yes, what matters are the intentions and attitudes of the heart.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You fib! They don't look anything at all alike!
Not to mention Delmar's brother used to post here regularly.

They're not the only ones. I've encountered some among some Church of God and Nazarenes and possibly some Churches of Christ.
You might want to clarify which Church of God denomination. The Anderson, IN based one does not do that.

Most oneness pentecostals call their churches Church of God or Assemblies of God.
The Assemblies of God are not oneness, nor are they strict on dress. I should know, I used to attend one, for ten years. They believe in and profess the Trinity.

musterion

Don't remember which brand of CoG they were or if I ever knew. All I know is what they said and at the time I had no idea there's more than one.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not to mention Delmar's brother used to post here regularly.

You might want to clarify which Church of God denomination. The Anderson, IN based one does not do that.

The Assemblies of God are not oneness, nor are they strict on dress. I should know, I used to attend one, for ten years. They believe in and profess the Trinity.

The one I attended with one of my best friends in high school, called itself an Assembly of God and they were Oneness Pentecostals and were anti-trinitarian.

I dont know the particulars of what if any larger group they belonged to or didnt belong to, i just know what the church called itself, and it was the town name, plus the name assembly of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.