Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Other way round, birds are descendents of dinosaurs.
Uh, my typo has already been addressed.

I realize you guys get all excited on the rare instance when you catch me making a mistake. I guess I should view that as a bit of a compliment. :)

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight;
Here is the wiki on the K/T extinction event;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretaceous–Tertiary_extinction_event

It includes this picture;

And this text;
K–T boundary along Interstate 25 near Raton Pass, Colorado. The iridium-rich ash (the boundary) is indicated by the red arrow.

The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
What do you say it is?

Johnny

I say it's a volcanic deposit within a flood event.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)

drbrumley

LOL! Birds did not come from dinosaurs. They were created as is by God. Dinos surely died out, in one of two ways I speculate.

1.) The Gap theory of creation, between Gen 1:1-2.

OR......

2.) The Great Flood.

Little Buzz

Trying to pin down an atheist on the topic of extinction is near impossible. The problem is that there are so many options open for them to assume. I read a textbook to a couple of kids today that mentioned no less than four different means by which the dinosaurs may have died out:
  • Asteroid(s).
  • Global cooling.
  • Volcanoes
  • Evolution into birds and reptiles
The article's conclusion was that nobody really understood exactly why. So I naturally added the real reason to the text and insisted that the kids either believe that or were silly.

Don't you feel a little bi of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?

I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.

Little Buzz

The impact itself is not what caused most of the extinctions- the long periods of cold weather and no sunlight caused by the large amountes of debris hurled into the atmosphere did. The breakdown of which species survived and which weren't so fortunate seems to be broken down in two ways- size and how well they could survive in water. No sunlight=little plant growth. Little plant growth=starvation for large herbivores that depend on a lot of food constantly to survive. The death of large herbivores=the death of large predators leaving the land open to the expansion of previously marginalized groups like the small mammals. The ocean is less transient than the land so aquatic species got off a little lighter but they lost some of the larger specimens as well.

Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight;

And this text;

The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
What do you say it is?

You could make it a home school geology field trip, go sample the K/T boundry, bring home samples, observe......

You could also design some "I went to the K/T boundry and all I got was this lousy T-shirt and a bag of dirt" T-shirts.

And you could sell them along with a bag of dirt from the K/T boundry and people who bought them could put on the shirts and make Youtube videos of themselves wearing the shirts and anylyzing the dirt and testing the dirt and drinking beer and making beer out of the dirt and melting the dirt into jewlery that will balance your aura and make yer breath fresh to boot.

And then......

The Berean

Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.

Aren't there some theories that dinosaurs may have been warm bloodied? From what I've read the details of dinosaur metabolism is hotly debated amongst paleontologists.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/metabolism.html

fool

Hall of Fame
I really do recomend reading the Wiki on the K/T boundry.

Provides one with an overview of the topic and the theories and if we would have a productive discussion I think the least we all could do is go read an encyclopedia article.
And begin by discussing the topic in general.
To which the answer to the OP is no, everything is not thought to have died with the dinosaurs.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)
Some kind of sorting process, probably.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't you feel a little bit of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?
You're calling me a fraud without knowing what I said? How do you know what evidence I give?

I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.
How did you escape?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight;

And this text;

What do you say it is?
You really buy that fool?

Seriously??? Do you?

Look how thick those layers are. Every time I look at strata I laugh thinking that people actually believe those dramatically different layers represent millions of years of slow build up (what happened to erosion??). It kills me! I will never, ever, never buy that lie. It's so obviously false.

Then, we get a real life example of strata being laid down in floods all over the word and it looks just like normal strata, except it didn't takes millions of years to lay down it only took hours or minutes.

A much more reasonable and logical explanation for most strata is liquefaction.

Mr Jack

Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility.
As has been pointed out dinosaurs appear to have no been entirely cold-blooded. It's also worth noting that in a creature the size of, say, a Triceratops or Stegosaurus, let alone a Diplodocus, it makes very little difference. The ratio of surface area to volume means that they would pretty much maintain their body temperature anyway, just through heat produced as a by-product of metabolism and movement.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As has been pointed out dinosaurs appear to have no been entirely cold-blooded. It's also worth noting that in a creature the size of, say, a Triceratops or Stegosaurus, let alone a Diplodocus, it makes very little difference. The ratio of surface area to volume means that they would pretty much maintain their body temperature anyway, just through heat produced as a by-product of metabolism and movement.
Sorta like Oprah Winfrey?