ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, per Trent, we Protestants are all anathema, that is, excommunicated and removed from their "true church" and in hope that we will repent of our errors.

Now in my case, in my leanings toward Jansenism while in seminary, the Romanist bull for heresy (Come occasione, issued by innocent X in 1653) applies. ;)

Actually I doubt the poster thought it through this much and just tossed out "heresy" as it sounded good.

Of course, when these Romanists are on their death beds and no one else is available, they will and should welcome my presence for last rites. Gheez, I can even still transubstantiate the elements of the Supper...not that it would be valid...but just one of those "abilities" still possessed. Romanists. Sigh.

AMR
As providence would have it there is also this:

http://www.challies.com/articles/anti-catholic-or-pro-gospel

with a link in the above piece to this:

http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage_print.asp?number=379439&language=en

AMR

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Today, I started rereading this book:

CATHOLICISM AND FUNDAMENTALISM, The attack on ''Romanism'' by ''Bible Christians'' By Karl Keating, Ignatus press.

Highly recommended, as the reviews on Goodreads testify:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/190241.Catholicism_and_Fundamentalism
Here's one of the lastest reviews out of the 764 reviews/ratings the book received, which caught my attention:

USAF PriestRecommended for: everyoneThis book was very instrumental in my decision to convert to Catholicism. I was a Born-Again, Bible Thumping, Catholic Hater, who worked as a Chapel Manger in the USAF. I was assigned as bookkeeper for awhile, and had to work with the Chapel's Catholic priest as he was the one who had to approve all the purchases and sign all the checks. We became good friends, and I would drill him about his heretical religion. We would smoke together and go get a drink together after work, and he gave me this book to read. It blew my mind to find out that Catholics were actually Christians, and not only that, they were the Church that Christ established. Karl Keating is an amazing author, and has done so much for the Catholic Church with his writings and the apologetic work done by his Catholic Answers ministry.*www.catholic.comI would recommend this book to everyone. Catholic and Non-Catholics alike. If nothing else it will give you some hard to ignore information to let you mind chew on. You can't read this book and not be changed, one way or the other. Keating lays it all out on the table, and isn't afraid to quote at length and refer you to read critics of the Catholic Church.*As Bishop Fulton Sheen used to say "There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."I dare anyone to read this, and prove Bishop Sheen wrong.

It states this review amongst several on the back cover:
"I strongly advise honest fundamentalists NOT to read this book. They might find their whole position collapsing in ruins"

I obviously have no financial interest in the book whatsoever, nor am I an agent etc etc etc

I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

God's Truth

As all Christians do, we all have the mind of Christ.

Do you know what having the mind of Christ means?

To have the mind of Christ means to HAVE AN OBEDIENT MIND.

Catholics are not obey God when they make statues and bow to them, when they call their brothers ‘father’, when they pray to Mary to get to God, and many other things.

Jesus is the way, not the Catholic denomination.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Do you know what having the mind of Christ means?

To have the mind of Christ means to HAVE AN OBEDIENT MIND.

Catholics are not obey God when they make statues and bow to them, when they call their brothers ‘father’, when they pray to Mary to get to God, and many other things.

Jesus is the way, not the Catholic denomination.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

God's Truth

We've had this discussion before, and I've narrowed down the options since then, from three to two. A Christian is either Catholic, or protestant. The Orthodox are indistinguishable from protestants to me, and you're not Orthodox anyway. You either accept Christ's supreme pastor, or you reject him. Catholic or protestant.
It is up to you only in your mind.

The visible Body of Christ is not headless, so I'm sure I don't understand your offer here.

The Catholics dig up their “Saints”, they take whatever decayed body part is left, and they put it on display to be prayed to for a healing.

The Apostles all taught the same thing. The primacy of St. Peter.
Then you are ignoring what Paul said about putting one apostle over another.

Jesus himself personally commissioned the original 12 Apostles.

Paul was not there with Jesus when Jesus was on earth.

The twelve are apostles to the Lamb.

Judas was replaced:

Acts 1:20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:
“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’
and,
“‘May another take his place of leadership.’

Acts 1:21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

Read these scriptures, it shows Matthias was chosen by the Lord.

24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept Stupid people the way they are,
Courage to maitain my self-control, and wisdom to know if I act up on it, I will go to jail...

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
Do you think that is from the Spirit of God?

I see even irony, satire and humour/humor has passed you by.
Must go, got some adults to speak to!
However, let me leave you with a little story...There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the heck is water?"

I just know you'll be spending some time on that one. See ya tomorrow kid!

Last edited:

God's Truth

I see even irony, satire and humour/humor has passed you by.
Must go, got some adults to speak to!
However, let me leave you with a little story...There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the heck is water?"

I just know you'll be spending some time on that one. See ya tomorrow kid!

I take the Word of God seriously.

You show you do not have the Spirit of Christ, you prove it by your put downs.