ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

glassjester

So then, you think Jesus is different than God the Father because Jesus was a Man in the flesh? Lol

I didn't say that.

I quoted Luke 22:42, remember?

Who was Jesus talking to?
Who was Jesus' will?
Why was Jesus' will different from the person he was talking to?

glassjester

Jesus' will was not different. Jesus' will was to do what the Father says.

You misunderstand. It is not that Jesus willed that something other than what the Father wills should occur, but the fact that He has a will of His own.

Read the verse again.

"Yet not my will, but your will be done."

Just as you and I may both will the same thing (ie, to eat ice cream), yet we each have our own will. Why? because you and I are discrete, independent persons.

Last edited:

God's Truth

You misunderstand. It is not that Jesus willed that something other than what the Father wills should occur, but the fact that He has a will of His own.

Read the verse again.

"Yet not my will, but your will be done."

Just as you and I may both will the same thing (ie, to eat ice cream), yet we each have our own will. Why? because you and I are discrete, independent persons.

Jesus is God the Father come in the flesh. Jesus' will is the Father's will. Jesus' works is the Father's works. Jesus only does what the Father does, and Jesus only says what the Father say. When you see Jesus you see the Father.

glassjester

Jesus is God the Father come in the flesh. Jesus' will is the Father's will. Jesus' works is the Father's works. Jesus only does what the Father does, and Jesus only says what the Father say. When you see Jesus you see the Father.

Then what is the meaning of "not my will, but your will" ? :DK:

glassjester

Jesus' will was to do the will of God.

Yes.

So let's try out your idea with that verse from Luke.

You say the Father and the Son are the same person. Can the same person have a will and not have a will that is his own?

Example:

Bob is eating a bowl of ice cream.
You see Bob eating ice cream, and you say, "Hey Bob! Is it your will to eat ice cream right now?"
And Bob says back to you, "No, no. It's not my will. It's Bob's will that I eat ice cream!"
So you say, "But you are Bob, your will is Bob's will!"
And he says, "Nope! My will is not being done, but Bob's will is!"

Either this guy is crazy, or... he and Bob are not the same person!

God's Truth

Yes.

So let's try out your idea with that verse from Luke.

You say the Father and the Son are the same person. Can the same person have a will and not have a will that is his own?

Example:

Bob is eating a bowl of ice cream.
You see Bob eating ice cream, and you say, "Hey Bob! Is it your will to eat ice cream right now?"
And Bob says back to you, "No, no. It's not my will. It's Bob's will that I eat ice cream!"
So you say, "But you are Bob, your will is Bob's will!"
And he says, "Nope! My will is not being done, but Bob's will is!"

Either this guy is crazy, or... he and Bob are not the same person!

God did not pretend to come to earth as a Son of Man. God really did come as a Man.

Jesus came from heaven and emptied himself. Jesus came as a servant.