Who Here Chose To Be Heterosexual?

alwight

The Holy Bible is not just "some ancient scripture!" and while you do not need to believe in it to participate at TOL you do need to realize that this is a Christian forum. You will only be given a certain amount of latitude to trash talk people for trusting the Word of God.
Well, while I do accept that you/TOL may not particularly like my opinions or indeed want me to air them all here Delmar, nevertheless it is still my honest opinion (as an atheist why wouldn't it be?), that your Holy book is not in any way a demonstrably infallible, supernatural or inerrant scripture, simply the work of ancient men, but I have no desire to offend.

alwight

Can you really not imagine that two gay people might actually love each other?
No, else they'd not do this to each other. /story
So you really can’t imagine that two people of the same sex might just be able to love each other, I find that rather sad.

If so then I don't think that my own imagination is the problem here.
If it is self-indulgence, as you seem to imagine it is, then what would be that perceived pleasure being indulged in if not the human relationship, sex and perhaps a lifestyle? Is it just to annoy the religious perhaps?
Not really something that I at least can imagine any reasonable person would want to be doing, not on a full time basis anyway.
Yup, the proof is in the pudding here and as I said, our conversation is over. You have no moral absolutes (no God= no morality). There is no reason for us to abstain from anything if there is no God as you assume.

*Read the headlines, you retarded atheist idiots (present company may be excluded for now), we (you) reap what you sow
Thanks, I think.
As I have said before, human morality in society is afaic generally a consensus of individual morality and thus clearly a relative thing, not an absolute. So again I suggest to you that the only reason gay people do what they do is because they honestly want to do it, and that for them there is no moral problem even if for you there is. If you can’t at least imagine how that might just be true then I can’t really help you. I’m also rather sure that you can’t demonstrate that your God even exists let alone arbitrates on what is absolutely moral. Moral values, at least for those like me, are clearly simply of human origin that can and sometimes do change, but not something absolute just because it is perhaps written in an ancient scripture.

I don't think the whole point of this conversation is actually only whatever you decide it is Lon, God presumably.
Let it be known, I *tried* to exclude you from the above comment, I cannot help you walking into it all on your own. I suppose it was a setup...
I’m not sure that you can actually understand how a disbeliever in your God and any god might actually think Lon, or that anyone could honestly disbelieve that an involved, supernatural and personal god could exist for us on this speck of earth. It might take some imagination to do that?

That which is "noble" is afaic a subjective human opinion and not something that you perhaps imagine your God thinks it is.
...and there ya go, both feet wet now We Christians would laugh if it wasn't so sad. There is frankly nothing to laugh about but I would vote for shock therapy to be covered under insurance once again... It is a desperation attempt/you need Jesus. Badly.

"Be sure your sins will find you out..."
Please do establish how otherwise subjective human ideas (noble) are somehow also objective and absolute as well. It probably has nothing to do with me needing Jesus (or not) btw.

Since I don't know what "idiocycretic" means I can't decide either way how capable I am at continuing this conversation.
Idiosyncratic? I try and use my own brain when someone uses a word I don't get. I can, in fact, look words up and don't mind mispelling. Let's not get stupid and petty, shall we?

Please come back when you have better prepared to debate this topic with actual Christians. You are wasting our time. Grow up.
I think I did answer your point anyway Lon, but I thought you were being rather pompous and dismissive, which was my real point here.

lovemeorhateme

Can you really not imagine that two gay people might actually love each other?

Of course two people of the same sex can love each other, and there is nothing wrong with that. When two people of the same gender sexualise that love it becomes sinful.

To be honest though, most homosexuals seem to sleep around with people casually with no regard for emotions or love. Many homosexuals also sleep with multiple other partners when in a 'loving' relationship with someone, often with that person's consent.

:nono:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Of course two people of the same sex can love each other, and there is nothing wrong with that. When two people of the same gender sexualise that love it becomes sinful.
Really? I'm hoping you can explain this a bit more precisely. It doesn't appear at all Biblical.

To be honest though, most homosexuals seem to sleep around with people casually with no regard for emotions or love. Many homosexuals also sleep with multiple other partners when in a 'loving' relationship with someone, often with that person's consent.

How can you be "honest" about this bit of stereotyping? Now if you are referring to your own past experiences I could understand that you might have been that way. But to extrapolate it to "most homosexuals" seems a bit of a stretch without citing some sort of authoritative studies.

People seem to get carried away with stereotyping. For example I read today that most acts of terrorism are committed by white heterosexual men. No reference studies were cited. It was just one person's assertion tossed out there perhaps with the hope nobody would question it.

alwight

Maybe "love" isn't always the reason for heterosexual sex either ;).
Sadly tbh I'm probably no great expert in "love" but most people still want to have sex since that is just the way it is, not that (afaic) people want to "sin".

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned

Don't you think honesty about sexual adventurousness within a couple is much better than deceit?

lovemeorhateme

Really? I'm hoping you can explain this a bit more precisely. It doesn't appear at all Biblical.

I love my male best friend. Yet I don't sexualise that love, I have no interest in doing so. Loving someone of the same gender isn't sinful, engaging in homosexuals acts with someone most certainly is.

How can you be "honest" about this bit of stereotyping? Now if you are referring to your own past experiences I could understand that you might have been that way. But to extrapolate it to "most homosexuals" seems a bit of a stretch without citing some sort of authoritative studies.

I am indeed basing this on my past experience. The 'gay scene' is primarily focused on sex - casual sex when you can with as many as you can. One only has to go to a gay pride parade to see just how focused the gay world is on sex. In the past I met many guys who were happy to have an 'open relationship', I know that some heterosexuals may be happy to do that but I haven't met any to my knowledge.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think that the real deceit is people believing that being a homosexual is who they are. Homosexuality isn't who someone is, it's what someone does.
Let me see if I understand you on this. As a heterosexual if I were to go to a lesbian nightclub, have a few drinks and then respond to sexual aggression from some dyke then poof I become a homosexual?

lovemeorhateme

Let me see if I understand you on this. As a heterosexual if I were to go to a lesbian nightclub, have a few drinks and then respond to sexual aggression from some dyke then poof I become a homosexual?

No, you don't seem to understand me on this. If you were in that situation and you gave in to sexual advances from a lesbian then you would have commited a homosexual act, not turned into a homosexual.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
No, you don't seem to understand me on this. If you were in that situation and you gave in to sexual advances from a lesbian then you would have commited a homosexual act, not turned into a homosexual.
OK but you said "Homosexuality isn't who someone is, it's what someone does." So how many homosexual acts would I have to commit to become labeled a homosexual because of what I would be doing?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
BOOM!

You just dropped some truth to make the Earth shake!

:first:SPOTD

OK but you said "Homosexuality isn't who someone is, it's what someone does." So how many homosexual acts would I have to commit to become labeled a homosexual because of what I would be doing?

Last edited:

Lon

... that your Holy book is not in any way a demonstrably infallible, supernatural or inerrant scripture, simply the work of ancient men, but I have no desire to offend.
Er, offensive. You guys need to grow brains and apply for empathy cards... Until such, you waste our complete time. I know what you believe and why you believe it and there are enough former atheists on here for the empathy cards to be validated, even if I don't have one.
Even if I am thick, I'm not on one your websites as a thickskull. Learn where you at, get a gps or something.

Lon

As I have said before, human morality in society is afaic generally a consensus of individual morality and thus clearly a relative thing, not an absolute.
B-I-N-G-O

I will fight and die for my morals and you and every other senseless killing will kill for nothing or for personal gain (which is also nothing, even by your own definition). Do you wonder 1) why there are a lot more senseless killings and 2) why we think you guys are ridiculous, shallow, petty, and in need of a basic education?

We've seen what atheists in control of their world can do in multiples now. We here on TOL don't like it.

alwight

Er, offensive. You guys need to grow brains and apply for empathy cards... Until such, you waste our complete time. I know what you believe and why you believe it and there are enough former atheists on here for the empathy cards to be validated, even if I don't have one.
Even if I am thick, I'm not on one your websites as a thickskull. Learn where you at, get a gps or something.
Why exactly should an atheist give your particular holy scripture deference Lon? Although perhaps I think I already do to some extent in view of where I'm posting.

Do you think your beliefs should be exempt more generally from criticism or indeed reason? Particularly so perhaps if you choose to think that your beliefs outweigh the rights of (say) homosexuals by wanting them imposed in civil laws?

alwight

B-I-N-G-O

I will fight and die for my morals and you and every other senseless killing will kill for nothing or for personal gain (which is also nothing, even by your own definition). Do you wonder 1) why there are a lot more senseless killings and 2) why we think you guys are ridiculous, shallow, petty, and in need of a basic education?

We've seen what atheists in control of their world can do in multiples now. We here on TOL don't like it.
How many atheist terrorist groups are there planting devices and sending in suicide bombers on an atheistic Jihad Lon?
Not too much wrong with relative and consensus morality imo.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course two people of the same sex can love each other, and there is nothing wrong with that. When two people of the same gender sexualise that love it becomes sinful.:nono:
There is a tendency today to sexualize things like brotherly love and sisterly love. I am a member on the Lord of The Rings site. I have witnessed this as members of the site try to sexualize the selflessness of Sam Gamgee toward Frodo Baggins as he returns the One Ring to Frodo after his escape from the Orcs. This brotherly agape relationship is totally lost on most modern folks. Today's culture has a obsession with sex and they try to inject it into everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lon

Why exactly should an atheist give your particular holy scripture deference Lon? Although perhaps I think I already do to some extent in view of where I'm posting.
Not particularly seeing it, but it does look like you know better even if you pretend not to...

Do you think your beliefs should be exempt more generally from criticism or indeed reason? Particularly so perhaps if you choose to think that your beliefs outweigh the rights of (say) homosexuals by wanting them imposed in civil laws?
:think: Hmmm, let's see...

Look here concerning my area, notice that the dates coincide with removal of things to do with God from classrooms and social settings. The crimes have quadrulpled though the population has only gone up a third. Speculation? I have my own. Your desired world isn't working so much for us and we want to complain about it. I hope you realize, that this kind of 'theorizing' of your's about relative morals instead of absolute ones, has significant and lasting consequences (if you ever wondered at our angst and the current condition of our world). I don't personally think we are out of line to be hard on atheists for what they are accomplishing in our world. I find them oblivious and frankly unconcerned that our world is going to hell (literally for us, should be figuratively for you at least).
They'll never put two and two together that bombing marathons or shooting kids in school had direct correlations to dismantling a sense of responsibility and duty to morality. For you, it's all relative. Translated to me it simply means 'you don't care' which I already knew. It is all very disturbing trying to convince an atheist anything. They (you) just don't think like the rest of us.

You guys seem happy with this current mess. That kind of makes us upset, if you can imagine...

Lon

How many atheist terrorist groups are there planting devices and sending in suicide bombers on an atheistic Jihad Lon?
Um, you missed the point. I would rather see someone killing for a reason than no reason at all other than they want to see what a video game in real life would look like. These are people with no absolute morals, remember?

Not too much wrong with relative and consensus morality imo.
Sure. Nothing wrong with people killing if they are just trying to see what it would look like in the real world. There is no reason for them not to pull the trigger if you are all only so many collated particle masses. There is every reason not to, if they are created beings. The value of a being would then be intrinsic. Relative morality has gotten us where we are at today.