Who Here Chose To Be Heterosexual?

alwight

Actually its you who went out of your way to miss the point. Tell me where emotions have anything to do with science and the way men and women are physically made and what those differences are for, explain please.
Emotions? That was to do with Mr Spock wasn't it, or the lack of them? :idunno:
My point was that you seem to gladly equate nefarious actions that do actual harm to others, like murder, injury or theft with what gay people choose to do in bed together. What actual harm is done by consensual gay sex that could not equally be true of consensual straight sex or perhaps mutual or solo masturbation?
Mechanically body parts do exist for specific purposes but just because they may not always quite match up with what is going on in the individual mind is clearly no reason to vilify anyone afaic.

alwight

So you really do think that all homosexuals, for some yet to be adequately explained reason other than it suits your religious doctrine, simply choose to be perverse (eating glass) rather than doing what naturally attracts them to do or makes them happy?
Or perhaps you think that eating glass (or sword swallowing?) is simply what some people like to do as a perverse pleasure in itself or do just to be perverse?
Yes, whether such brainless masses enjoy watching it or not. I'd pay no money to see someone eat glass *(more later under 'explode')
Nevertheless, perhaps more in simpler times but still do now, people did/do just about anything if it gains some money or fame, perhaps it began as a bet rather than as a perversion?
Monsieur Mangetout ("Mister Eats All").

It makes no sense at all Lon.
Rather, what you are implying/suggesting, is that we not stifle any appetite whatsoever, knowing full well that certain ones should be stifled. It is called 'self-control' and we might yet esteem it as a society. If not, then it is just me and we can disagree. After that, as you say above, we can discuss the religious implications as well, but I've left that off for an appeal to common sense.
You don’t actually justify your belief that they actually are doing anything intrinsically wrong I notice, only that you personally don’t approve, perhaps only because you believe your God doesn’t approve. Secularists however will tend to see things in rather more factual and pragmatic ways. People typically tend not to do what they don’t want to do, unless of course there seems to be a reward in it afterwards.
What then do you think is the pay-off for those involved in homosexual sex if it isn’t the sex itself?

"Pon farr ... featured in the original Star Trek...
I was celibate until I was 27 and married. * I didn't explode...difference between living in a fantasy world and reality...
Good for you then, I’ll simply assume that all was well and functioning properly when the big moment finally arrived. ;)

alwight said:
From a secular pov:
Tell me who is actually harmed by consensual responsible homosexual sex?
What exactly is so wrong with gay sex that can't equally be applied to straight sex?
Some parent's son or daughter.... and their parents...and extended family, etc. etc. I could make a list for an hour, easily and you are naive. Do a Google search of 'harm' caused. It happens in unwed cases too, but don't turn a blind-eye for convenience sake.
What actual harm per se does gay sex do, please don’t try to muddy the waters with any nefarious deeds by some that can probably equally be applied to some heterosexuals too? I’d agree that certain lifestyles are not always conducive to the common good, and please try to see my pov as being without any supposed Godly absolute morality only a human relative version.

alwight said:
Some people may show off (eat glass) for money, some people have sex for money, it doesn't mean that's what they like to do, it only means they want money.
Most people will ultimately sell themselves with money as the motive, so what is the motive that drives all gay people if not a more fulfilled life? Is it money, simply to be perverse or perhaps as a helpful convenience toward an otherwise blatantly homophobic bigoted religious doctrine?
Again, it is an inability to say 'no.' Part of our nation's financial crisis is caused by this entitlement behavior of 'have now' then 'pay later.' Judgement is too far away, even for you, to make much of a difference in your life. For me, that is a strange denial of consequences. There are consequences for our every behavior. Those are some of the practical issues, without needing religious reasons but when God enters the picture, this debate is over imo:

Just saying "there is no God to answer to" is much too convenient and frankly, childish and purposefully obtuse. Such is an atheist wanna-be rather than an actual. I see a lot of hoping and praying to some other god to not have to meet the one who is associated with the cross of His Son...
Why should anyone simply say “no” if there seems to be something to gain?
Should they really desist simply because of what you and what you think your God’s morality doesn’t approve of, despite that they actually see no harm and actually like doing it?
Think about it Lon why exactly do homosexuals seem to want to have their kind of sex just as much as heterosexuals do even those who believe in a god? Is it really just to be perverse?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Should they really desist simply because of what you and what you think your God’s morality doesn’t approve of, despite that they actually see no harm and actually like doing it?
Think about it Lon why exactly do child molesters seem to want to have their kind of sex just as much as heterosexuals do even those who believe in a god? Is it really just to be perverse?

NAMBLA is convinced that the boys they molest benefit from the experience.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Emotions? That was to do with Mr Spock wasn't it, or the lack of them? :idunno:
My point was that you seem to gladly equate nefarious actions that do actual harm to others, like murder, injury or theft with what gay people choose to do in bed together. What actual harm is done by consensual gay sex that could not equally be true of consensual straight sex or perhaps mutual or solo masturbation?
Mechanically body parts do exist for specific purposes but just because they may not always quite match up with what is going on in the individual mind is clearly no reason to vilify anyone afaic.

That was my point, the words in red.

What do emotions have to do with what something was created for?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You need to explain that, will spock die or something if he doesnt have sex? I am not familiar enough with star trek to know things like that.
See alwight's post about Pon farr.

Spock has no emotions ... he doesn't need or want sex.
Actually Spock is half human [human mother/Vulcan father] and thus does experience emotions to a degree.

Then there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pon_farr

"Pon farr was introduced and prominently featured in the original Star Trek series episode "Amok Time", written by Theodore Sturgeon. In the episode, Mr. Spock experiences pon farr and is returned to his home planet Vulcan by Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy in order to undergo the mating ritual and save his life"
:e4e:

They (vulcans, isnt that what he is suppose to be) reproduce without it?
Yes he is a Vulcan, and no they do not reproduce without it.

Isn't it sad that I'm not a Trekkie, but I am enough of a nerd to know these things because of the people I hang out with and the sites I frequent. However, I was going to have to look up how to spell "Pon farr," if alwight hadn't posted it.

alwight

That was my point, the words in red.

What do emotions have to do with what something was created for?
Seems to me that we are primarily people and persons first who exist in the body we happen to have, I don't see that we are compelled to be slaves to the bodies we do have. Our bodies are there to serve "persons" afaic, as best it can. I realise that this probably isn't at all what Darwinian evolution is all about, which is where I'm coming from here, but as a person with emotions myself, that is where my priorities lie not simply unemotional evolution by natural selection, since Darwinian evolution is about whole species not we expendable individuals.

If the person inside does not always seem consistent to all the functions of their particular body then afaic it's the person who is important not their body. If the person who exists in an otherwise male body happens to be attracted to males sexually then so be it, good luck to them, notwithstanding the actual existence and genuine displeasure of any real god(s) of course.

Lon

You don’t actually justify your belief that they actually are doing anything intrinsically wrong I notice, only that you personally don’t approve, perhaps only because you believe your God doesn’t approve. Secularists however will tend to see things in rather more factual and pragmatic ways. People typically tend not to do what they don’t want to do, unless of course there seems to be a reward in it afterwards.
What then do you think is the pay-off for those involved in homosexual sex if it isn’t the sex itself?
No imagination? You don't need half of one to see all kinds of horrible pay-offs, let alone see anything remotely loving. I see it as entirely self-indulgent anti-social behavior without the need for my religious convictions upfront. That God happens to call this on the carpet, then, would be for those noble and obvious reasons you seem incapable of grasping. If you too, are idiocycretic, then I our conversation is over because, frankly, you'd be incapable of seeing the whole point of this conversation.

alwight

No imagination? You don't need half of one to see all kinds of horrible pay-offs, let alone see anything remotely loving. I see it as entirely self-indulgent anti-social behavior without the need for my religious convictions upfront.
Can you really not imagine that two gay people might actually love each other? If so then I don't think that my own imagination is the problem here.
If it is self-indulgence, as you seem to imagine it is, then what would be that perceived pleasure being indulged in if not the human relationship, sex and perhaps a lifestyle? Is it just to annoy the religious perhaps?
Not really something that I at least can imagine any reasonable person would want to be doing, not on a full time basis anyway.

That God happens to call this on the carpet, then, would be for those noble and obvious reasons you seem incapable of grasping. If you too, are idiocycretic, then I our conversation is over because, frankly, you'd be incapable of seeing the whole point of this conversation.
I don't think the whole point of this conversation is actually only whatever you decide it is Lon, God presumably.
That which is "noble" is afaic a subjective human opinion and not something that you perhaps imagine your God thinks it is.
Since I don't know what "idiocycretic" means I can't decide either way how capable I am at continuing this conversation.:liberals:

genuineoriginal

Can you really not imagine that two gay people might actually love each other?
There is no love there.
Their actions prove they hate themselves and each other.

Leviticus 19:17
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​

alwight

There is no love there.
Their actions prove they hate themselves and each other.

Leviticus 19:17
17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.​

What actions specifically? Kissing perhaps?
Maybe you simply hate the very idea that two gay people could actually love each other? Perhaps it's you who hates?

If in fact they did sincerely love each, despite what you baldly assert, then that would probably make you into nothing but an unimaginative hate filled homophobic bigot, who knows nothing about love. So just how sure are you that gays simply hating each other and themselves is a fact, and what is your evidence of this?

Maybe otoh it's your imagination that is just a bit lacking if most of your thinking is derived from some ancient scripture?

Lon

Can you really not imagine that two gay people might actually love each other?
No, else they'd not do this to each other. /story

If so then I don't think that my own imagination is the problem here.
If it is self-indulgence, as you seem to imagine it is, then what would be that perceived pleasure being indulged in if not the human relationship, sex and perhaps a lifestyle? Is it just to annoy the religious perhaps?
Not really something that I at least can imagine any reasonable person would want to be doing, not on a full time basis anyway.
Yup, the proof is in the pudding here and as I said, our conversation is over. You have no moral absolutes (no God= no morality). There is no reason for us to abstain from anything if there is no God as you assume.

*Read the headlines, you retarded atheist idiots (present company may be excluded for now), we (you) reap what you sow :doh:
I don't think the whole point of this conversation is actually only whatever you decide it is Lon, God presumably.
Let it be known, I *tried* to exclude you from the above comment, I cannot help you walking into it all on your own. I suppose it was a setup...

That which is "noble" is afaic a subjective human opinion and not something that you perhaps imagine your God thinks it is.
...and there ya go, both feet wet now :doh: We Christians would laugh if it wasn't so sad. There is frankly nothing to laugh about but I would vote for shock therapy to be covered under insurance once again... It is a desperation attempt/you need Jesus. Badly.

"Be sure your sins will find you out..."

Since I don't know what "idiocycretic" means I can't decide either way how capable I am at continuing this conversation.:liberals:
Idiosyncratic? I try and use my own brain when someone uses a word I don't get. I can, in fact, look words up and don't mind mispelling. Let's not get stupid and petty, shall we?

Please come back when you have better prepared to debate this topic with actual Christians. You are wasting our time. Grow up.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe otoh it's your imagination that is just a bit lacking if most of your thinking is derived from some ancient scripture?

The Holy Bible is not just "some ancient scripture!" and while you do not need to believe in it to participate at TOL you do need to realize that this is a Christian forum. You will only be given a certain amount of latitude to trash talk people for trusting the Word of God.