When does the biblical day begin?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Watchman- Another question. Please a SHORT answer:
Where in the Bible is the New Moon day called a "Sabbath"?
Just the verse will suffice.

Thanks.

Leviticus 23:23-25
23 The LORD said to Moses, 24 “Say to the Israelites: ‘On the first day of the seventh month you are to have a day of Sabbath rest, a sacred assembly commemorated with trumpet blasts. 25 Do no regular work, but present a food offering to the LORD.’ ”

However, this is the only new moon day that God calls a Sabbath. No where else does God call the other new moons a Sabbath. This is because it is one of the most important days of the year and for many reasons.

We really should go to the other thread with all this, it's not good 'house keeping'.

chair

...Now I know this may not seem right or correct but that is because you are so used to the Gregorian calendar's 7 day week 'rolling' weekly cycle.
No, I am used to the Jewish 7 day week. Sorry.

The long post you read for example shows in Exodus how there was a Sabbath on day 22 in the 2nd month after leaving Egypt. The only was this could happen is with the LSSC. i.e:
I looked at this again. You make a case for one particular sabbath being on the 22 of one particular month, but how that proves your entire calendar is beyond me.

Immediately afterwards you refer to Leviticus 23. Here you ignore the fact that the first and last days of holidays are rest days, and assume that all rest days are on the weekly sabbath. This is the core of your error. It is easy to see that it is an error- how can the Day of Atonement be on a weekly Sabbath day?
Month 1 (Aviv)

New Moon day = Day 1 of the month. (when the first sliver of the moon can seen from Jerusalem).
Followed by 6 days of work.
Day 8 = the 1st Sabbath.
Day 15 = the 2nd Sabbath
Day 22 = the 3rd Sabbath.
Day 29 = the 4th and final Sabbath of the month.

Month 2 (Ziv)

New Moon day = Day 1 of the month. (when the first sliver of the moon can seen from Jerusalem).
Day 8 = the 1st Sabbath.
Day 15 = the 2nd Sabbath
Day 22 = the 3rd Sabbath.

This would not work with a rolling 7 day week. You can read that part again here:
https://guidetothebible.wordpress.com/start-reading-the-book
It doesn't work at all. Yoiu are just restating your theory over and over again. Repetition is not proof.
However, I feel you will not accept this because like many people who resist the LSSC they feel that the current 7 day rolling week 'must' be true and goes all the way back to Adam but there is no evidence for this. On the contrary all the historical evidence points to it only beginning in 45BC with the invention of the brand new Julian calendar. If you study this little know fact first you might be able to see that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_calendar
Again, youi cliam soomething about "all the historical evidence"- but you have no evidence for your viewpoint. Did you even read the wikipedia article you brought as support?
Just about all the hundreds of calendars that existed in the ancient world were Lunar-Solar calendars. The Julian calendar was one of the first purely Solar calendars with a fixed rolling weekly system.

I don't care about the Julian calendar. You are very caught up in it for some reason.

chair

Leviticus 23:23-25
23 The LORD said to Moses, 24 “Say to the Israelites: ‘On the first day of the seventh month you are to have a day of Sabbath rest, a sacred assembly commemorated with trumpet blasts. 25 Do no regular work, but present a food offering to the LORD.’ ”

However, this is the only new moon day that God calls a Sabbath. No where else does God call the other new moons a Sabbath. This is because it is one of the most important days of the year and for many reasons.

We really should go to the other thread with all this, it's not good 'house keeping'.

You know perfectly well that this is referring to a particular holiday (the horn-blowing one), and one cannot infer from this that all New Moon festivals are rest days.

Try again.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mar 4:35 And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side. [a new day doesn't begin at evening - it is evening and it is still the same day]

They left at noon?

What is the biblical word for afternoon?

How many times does the biblical word for afternoon appear in the NT?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When does the Biblical day start?

It starts in the morning, ie, break of day, and continues 24 hours until the start of the next break of day.

My reasoning behind this?

Well, to understand this, one needs to consider that when God created everything, it was perfect.

This includes the rotation of Earth, the revolution of the Moon around the earth, the earth's revolution around the Sun, and the moon's rotation.

God created cycles for things, such as the day night cycle, the seasons, the cycle of a woman's body.

Focusing on the seasons, on what day did God tell Israel to start their calendar? The 30th of March (according to our calendar)

That's only 10 days after the beginning of spring.

Question: Did God create anything part way through their cycle? or at the very beginning of their cycle? (eg a woman's menstrual cycle)

What is spring usually considered a sign of? New beginnings, correct?

If Spring is the new beginning, where everything is starting fresh, could it also be the original beginning of the year?

Currently, we start our year in the dead (yes, I use that word on purpose) of winter. Why would God build a paradise and not even be able to see his creation until a few months after it was created?

Food for thought: kgov.com/360

Right Divider

Body part
When does the Biblical day start?

It starts in the morning, ie, break of day, and continues 24 hours until the start of the next break of day.

My reasoning behind this?

Well, to understand this, one needs to consider that when God created everything, it was perfect.

This includes the rotation of Earth, the revolution of the Moon around the earth, the earth's revolution around the Sun, and the moon's rotation.

God created cycles for things, such as the day night cycle, the seasons, the cycle of a woman's body.

Focusing on the seasons, on what day did God tell Israel to start their calendar? The 30th of March (according to our calendar)

That's only 10 days after the beginning of spring.

Question: Did God create anything part way through their cycle? or at the very beginning of their cycle? (eg a woman's menstrual cycle)

What is spring usually considered a sign of? New beginnings, correct?

If Spring is the new beginning, where everything is starting fresh, could it also be the original beginning of the year?

Currently, we start our year in the dead (yes, I use that word on purpose) of winter. Why would God build a paradise and not even be able to see his creation until a few months after it was created?

Food for thought: kgov.com/360
Do you really think that the earth as originally created had the yearly cycles like it does today? I don't.

WatchmanOnTheWall

1. No, I am used to the Jewish 7 day week. Sorry.

2. I looked at this again. You make a case for one particular sabbath being on the 22 of one particular month, but how that proves your entire calendar is beyond me.

3. Immediately afterwards you refer to Leviticus 23. Here you ignore the fact that the first and last days of holidays are rest days, and assume that all rest days are on the weekly sabbath. This is the core of your error. It is easy to see that it is an error- how can the Day of Atonement be on a weekly Sabbath day?

4. It doesn't work at all. Yoiu are just restating your theory over and over again. Repetition is not proof.

5. Again, youi cliam soomething about "all the historical evidence"- but you have no evidence for your viewpoint. Did you even read the wikipedia article you brought as support?

6. I don't care about the Julian calendar. You are very caught up in it for some reason.

1. The statement shows that you don't understand what I meant about the 7 day rolling week. i.e. the modern Jewish week is based on the Julian week. (I somehow still think you won't understand what I am saying here).

2. I can see that it is beyond you. You need to think more about what I explained. (I live in hope).

3. The day of Atonement is on day 10 month 7 and is classed as a Sabbath separate from the normal Sabbaths as God says. (It is goof that you spotted this in some ways):

Leviticus 23:26-32
26 The LORD said to Moses, 27 The tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. Hold a sacred assembly and deny yourselves, and present a food offering to the LORD. 28 Do not do any work on that day, because it is the Day of Atonement, when atonement is made for you before the LORD your God. 29 For whoever is not afflicted on that very day shall be cut off from his people. 30 And whoever does any work on that very day, that person I will destroy from among his people. 31 You shall not do any work. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwelling places. 32 It shall be to you a Sabbath of solemn rest, and you shall afflict yourselves. On the ninth day of the month beginning at evening, from evening to evening shall you keep your Sabbath.

4. I am only having to repeat things but with more explanation because you keep asking the same questions.

5. You're just not understanding the evidence.

6. This again shows that you don't understand what I have explained as I too don't care about the Julian calendar but for very different reasons to you.

WatchmanOnTheWall

You know perfectly well that this is referring to a particular holiday (the horn-blowing one), and one cannot infer from this that all New Moon festivals are rest days.

Try again.

You are wrong, Sabbaths and all new moon days are shown as days when there was feasting and sacrifices done as the verses below show, not just the 1st of Tishri:

Numbers 28:11
'Then at the beginning of each of your months you shall present a burnt offering to the LORD: two bulls and one ram, seven male lambs one year old without defect;

Numbers 10:10
"Also in the day of your gladness and in your appointed feasts, and on the first days of your months, you shall blow the trumpets over your burnt offerings, and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; and they shall be as a reminder of you before your God. I am the LORD your God."

Psalm 81:3
Blow the trumpet at the new moon, At the full moon, on our feast day.

Numbers 28:11-15
'Then at the beginning of each of your months you shall present a burnt offering to the LORD: two bulls and one ram, seven male lambs one year old without defect; and three-tenths of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, for each bull; and two-tenths of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, for the one ram; and a tenth of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering for each lamb, for a burnt offering of a soothing aroma, an offering by fire to the LORD.

1 Chronicles 23:30-31
They are to stand every morning to thank and to praise the LORD, and likewise at evening, and to offer all burnt offerings to the LORD, on the sabbaths, the new moons and the fixed festivals in the number set by the ordinance concerning them, continually before the LORD.

2 Chronicles 2:4
"Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the LORD my God, dedicating it to Him, to burn fragrant incense before Him and to set out the showbread continually, and to offer burnt offerings morning and evening, on sabbaths and on new moons and on the appointed feasts of the LORD our God, this being required forever in Israel.

2 Chronicles 8:12-13
Then Solomon offered burnt offerings to the LORD on the altar of the LORD which he had built before the porch; and did so according to the daily rule, offering them up according to the commandment of Moses, for the sabbaths, the new moons and the three annual feasts--the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks and the Feast of Booths.

2 Chronicles 31:3
He also appointed the king's portion of his goods for the burnt offerings, namely, for the morning and evening burnt offerings, and the burnt offerings for the sabbaths and for the new moons and for the fixed festivals, as it is written in the law of the LORD.

Nehemiah 10:32-33
We also placed ourselves under obligation to contribute yearly one third of a shekel for the service of the house of our God: for the showbread, for the continual grain offering, for the continual burnt offering, the sabbaths, the new moon, for the appointed times, for the holy things and for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel, and all the work of the house of our God.

Ezekiel 45:17
"It shall be the prince's part to provide the burnt offerings, the grain offerings and the drink offerings, at the feasts, on the new moons and on the sabbaths, at all the appointed feasts of the house of Israel; he shall provide the sin offering, the grain offering, the burnt offering and the peace offerings, to make atonement for the house of Israel."

Ezekiel 46:1
'Thus says the Lord GOD, "The gate of the inner court facing east shall be shut the six working days; but it shall be opened on the sabbath day and opened on the day of the new moon.

1 Samuel 20:5
So David said to Jonathan, "Behold, tomorrow is the new moon, and I ought to sit down to eat with the king But let me go, that I may hide myself in the field until the third evening.

2 Kings 4:23
He said, "Why will you go to him today? It is neither new moon nor sabbath." And she said, "It will be well."

Amos 8:5
saying, "When will the new moon be over, So that we may sell grain, And the sabbath, that we may open the wheat market, To make the bushel smaller and the shekel bigger, And to cheat with dishonest scales,

Isaiah 1:13-14
"Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies-- I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly. "I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, They have become a burden to Me; I am weary of bearing them.

Hosea 2:11
"I will also put an end to all her gaiety, Her feasts, her new moons, her sabbaths And all her festal assemblies.

chair

1. The statement shows that you don't understand what I meant about the 7 day rolling week. i.e. the modern Jewish week is based on the Julian week. (I somehow still think you won't understand what I am saying here).
Where is the evidence that the Jewish week is based on the Roman one? It is a fairly wild claim, considering that the Jewish calendar was around for 1,000 years before the Julian one,. People don't lightly change their calendar, especially one that has religious significance. So, evidence, please.
2. I can see that it is beyond you. You need to think more about what I explained. (I live in hope).
There you go insulting my intelligence again. I know what you did show some evidence for- and what you didn't show evidence for.
3. The day of Atonement is on day 10 month 7 and is classed as a Sabbath separate from the normal Sabbaths as God says. (It is goof that you spotted this in some ways):

Leviticus 23:26-32
26 The LORD said to Moses, 27 The tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement. Hold a sacred assembly and deny yourselves, and present a food offering to the LORD. 28 Do not do any work on that day, because it is the Day of Atonement, when atonement is made for you before the LORD your God. 29 For whoever is not afflicted on that very day shall be cut off from his people. 30 And whoever does any work on that very day, that person I will destroy from among his people. 31 You shall not do any work. It is a statute forever throughout your generations in all your dwelling places. 32 It shall be to you a Sabbath of solemn rest, and you shall afflict yourselves. On the ninth day of the month beginning at evening, from evening to evening shall you keep your Sabbath.
This is not a goof, jerk. I am quite aware of the verses. In Hebrew. The holidays are often described as "sabbaths" i.e. rest days. Usually the first and last days of a holiday. That does not mean they are on the 7th (or 8th or 9th)day of teh week. The Day of Atonement is the example that shows that the term "sabbath" doesn't mean "seventh day" in this context.

The other example of this is in Numbers 29. I am sure you are aware of it, and are hoping I won't notice. In that case the word "sabbath" is not used- but labor is prohibited. Also appears in Leviticus 23.

My point is that the term "sabbath" or "shabbaton" does not necessarily mean the weekly sabbath. The Day of Atonement proves that .
4. I am only having to repeat things but with more explanation because you keep asking the same questions.
You don't have evidence. I keep insisting on evidence. And you don't have any. Just a theory that is simply wrong. Maybe you don't know what the word evidence means.
5. You're just not understanding the evidence.
when I see some, then we can discuss whether I understand.
6. This again shows that you don't understand what I have explained as I too don't care about the Julian calendar but for very different reasons to you.

I understand that you claim that the weeks in the current Jewish calendar, which is solar-lunar, is based on the Julian calendar, which is purely solar. This is silly- and you have not shown any evidence for it whatsoever. Really.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they might eat the Passover." (John 18:28)

It was early morning on the preparation day, the 14th of the first month.

The Passover lambs and goats were killed after noon, roasted and eaten after dark.

"lest they should be defiled, but that they might eat the Passover." (John 18:28)

The preparation day afforded opportunity to remove leaven from the homes.

"And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord, seven days you must eat unleavened bread." (Leviticus 23:6)

"And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. Then they shall eat the flesh on that night roasted in fire, with unleavened bread." (Exodus 12:7-8)

They ate the flesh that night after the animal was killed on the afternoon of the 14th.

"You shall let none of it remain until morning, and what remains of it until morning you shall burn with fire. And thus you shall eat it, with a belt on your waist, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. So you shall eat it in haste. It is the Lord’s Passover.

Passover week when unleavened bread must be eaten was from the night they ate the flesh until seven days later.

The 15th was the night when the Passover was eaten with unleavened bread and that feast lasted until the 21st.

"And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord, seven days you must eat unleavened bread."

The day begins with darkness just as it did on the first day of creation.

clefty

"Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they might eat the Passover." (John 18:28)

It was early morning on the preparation day, the 14th of the first month.

The Passover lambs and goats were killed after noon, roasted and eaten after dark.

"lest they should be defiled, but that they might eat the Passover." (John 18:28)

The preparation day afforded opportunity to remove leaven from the homes.

"And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord, seven days you must eat unleavened bread." (Leviticus 23:6)

"And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. Then they shall eat the flesh on that night roasted in fire, with unleavened bread." (Exodus 12:7-8)

They ate the flesh that night after the animal was killed on the afternoon of the 14th.

"You shall let none of it remain until morning, and what remains of it until morning you shall burn with fire. And thus you shall eat it, with a belt on your waist, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand. So you shall eat it in haste. It is the Lord’s Passover.

Passover week when unleavened bread must be eaten was from the night they ate the flesh until seven days later.

The 15th was the night when the Passover was eaten with unleavened bread and that feast lasted until the 21st.

"And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord, seven days you must eat unleavened bread."

The day begins with darkness just as it did on the first day of creation.

That darkness was not called Night, it had no morning and no evening but suddenly there was Light then it was called day the darkness night...then this light became evening into night and come morning it was complete and numbered...

The wrath passed over at midnight the same day the lambs were killed...not the day after

Thank offerings are offered and eaten the SAME day and none left until morning...(cuz that would be the next day)

WatchmanOnTheWall

Where is the evidence that the Jewish week is based on the Roman one? It is a fairly wild claim, considering that the Jewish calendar was around for 1,000 years before the Julian one,. People don't lightly change their calendar, especially one that has religious significance. So, evidence, please.

I understand that you claim that the weeks in the current Jewish calendar, which is solar-lunar, is based on the Julian calendar, which is purely solar. This is silly- and you have not shown any evidence for it whatsoever. Really.

No no no. The current Jewish calendar places its Sabbath on Friday sunset to Saturday sunset on the Gregorian/Julian calendar (which is a fixed solar calendar with a rolling 7 day week system) but this has only officially been the case since 359AD. Before 135AD however the Sabbath was always on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 (and also the Day of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement). Between the years of 135 to 359 AD the Jews found it increasingly difficult to sight the new moon for reasons I have already explained and for which is historically documented. Anyone can check these facts (see below). Eventually Rabbi Hillel II created the modern Jewish mathematical calendar in 359AD but the Jews had by then accepted or rather forgotten the lunar Sabbath, and had to worship on Friday to Saturday.

Here are some sources (a tip: these are long documents but the relevant passages are easily found use the find feature on you desk top, just type in Hadrian or Constantine etc):

http://www.thecreatorscalendar.com/amazing-evidence-from-antiquity/

http://libertymagazine.org/article/sabbath-laws-and-early-church

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That darkness was not called Night, it had no morning and no evening but suddenly there was Light then it was called day the darkness night...then this light became evening into night and come morning it was complete and numbered...

The wrath passed over at midnight the same day the lambs were killed...not the day after

Thank offerings are offered and eaten the SAME day and none left until morning...(cuz that would be the next day)

Never mind :carryon:

chair

No no no. The current Jewish calendar places its Sabbath on Friday sunset to Saturday sunset on the Gregorian/Julian calendar (which is a fixed solar calendar with a rolling 7 day week system)
No No No yourself. The current Jewish calendar has nothing to do with the Gregorian/Julian calendar. It is not a fixed Solar calendar. Where do you get your information from?
but this has only officially been the case since 359AD. Before 135AD however the Sabbath was always on days 8, 15, 22 & 29 (and also the Day of Trumpets and the Day of Atonement). Between the years of 135 to 359 AD the Jews found it increasingly difficult to sight the new moon for reasons I have already explained and for which is historically documented. Anyone can check these facts (see below). Eventually Rabbi Hillel II created the modern Jewish mathematical calendar in 359AD but the Jews had by then accepted or rather forgotten the lunar Sabbath, and had to worship on Friday to Saturday.

Here are some sources (a tip: these are long documents but the relevant passages are easily found use the find feature on you desk top, just type in Hadrian or Constantine etc):

http://www.thecreatorscalendar.com/amazing-evidence-from-antiquity/

http://libertymagazine.org/article/sabbath-laws-and-early-church

So I looked at the two sources.

The later one, liberty magazine, makes no mention of a Jewish calendar with the weekly sabbath always being on fixed days of the month.

The Creator's Calendar site is more or less the type of thing you like to post. Plenty of information, but little that is relevant. He does quote some sources. For example, he quotes the Jewish Encyclopedia, which is available online. It indeed mentions a particular speculative viewpoint that claims:
"The Sabbath depending, in Israel's nomadic period, upon the observation of the phases of the moon, it could not, according to this view, be a fixed day. When the Israelites settled in the land and became farmers, their new life would have made it desirable that the Sabbath should come at regular intervals, and the desired change would have been made all the more easily as they had abandoned the lunar religion."​
This is completely speculative- and it claims the change came 1,000 years earlier than what you claim. No real evidence there at all.

There is also mention of Iranaeus, 2nd century- but I cannot find the original quote anywhere. Perhaps you can help there.

What I basically see is a lot of speculation, and no real facts. Quoting somebody else's speculation doesn't change what it is- speculation.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion of different issues:
The current Jewish calendar is lunar-solar
It differs from the ancient one in that it is calculated, and not based on observing the moon (Hillel II)
The current Jewish calendar has nothing to do with the Julian Calendar- it is the Christians who use the Roman calendar, have a fixed solar year and have messed up the traditional holidays. When is Easter?- well, it depends who you ask. Roman Catholics and Orthodox celebrate on different days.

WatchmanOnTheWall

No No No yourself. The current Jewish calendar has nothing to do with the Gregorian/Julian calendar. It is not a fixed Solar calendar. Where do you get your information from?

The later one, liberty magazine, makes no mention of a Jewish calendar with the weekly sabbath always being on fixed days of the month.

The Creator's Calendar site is more or less the type of thing you like to post. Plenty of information, but little that is relevant. He does quote some sources. For example, he quotes the Jewish Encyclopedia, which is available online. It indeed mentions a particular speculative viewpoint that claims:
"The Sabbath depending, in Israel's nomadic period, upon the observation of the phases of the moon, it could not, according to this view, be a fixed day. When the Israelites settled in the land and became farmers, their new life would have made it desirable that the Sabbath should come at regular intervals, and the desired change would have been made all the more easily as they had abandoned the lunar religion."​
This is completely speculative- and it claims the change came 1,000 years earlier than what you claim. No real evidence there at all.

There is also mention of Iranaeus, 2nd century- but I cannot find the original quote anywhere. Perhaps you can help there.

What I basically see is a lot of speculation, and no real facts. Quoting somebody else's speculation doesn't change what it is- speculation.

It differs from the ancient one in that it is calculated, and not based on observing the moon (Hillel II)
The current Jewish calendar has nothing to do with the Julian Calendar- it is the Christians who use the Roman calendar, have a fixed solar year and have messed up the traditional holidays. When is Easter?- well, it depends who you ask. Roman Catholics and Orthodox celebrate on different days.

No, lunar calendars rely on visually sighting the new moon. The modern Jewish calendar does not need to sight the new moon as it rely's on the 19 year Metonic lunar cycle that is mathematically calculated (and so is a solar calendar only):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonic_cycle

which was discovered by Meton of Athens in 432BC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meton_of_Athens

Hillel II used this mathematical cycle to replace the visually observed new moon in 359 AD:

http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm

Here is an excerpt from Jewfaq.org above:

'In the fourth century, Hillel II established a fixed calendar based on mathematical and astronomical calculations. This calendar, still in use, standardized the length of months and the addition of months over the course of a 19 year cycle, so that the lunar calendar realigns with the solar years.'

The mere fact that Hillel created this new calendar should make you think 'why did the Jews need to do that?' But I am having a hard time even doing this. Think man think!

clefty

Two different days and two different ways...

Romans insist on the communion bread being unleavened and the orthodox use regular bread as it was not the Passover meal but the Lord's last supper...that came the next evening after the lambs were slaughtered on the 14th...the same day the wrath passed over later that same day the 14th at midnight...none of this thank offering was to be left by morning the next day (the day after the day of preparation) the 15th...

chair

No, lunar calendars rely on visually sighting the new moon. The modern Jewish calendar does not need to sight the new moon as it rely's on the 19 year Metonic lunar cycle that is mathematically calculated (and so is a solar calendar only): ...

I think that a "19 year Metonic lunar cycle" cannot possibly be a "solar calendar only".

WatchmanOnTheWall

I think that a "19 year Metonic lunar cycle" cannot possibly be a "solar calendar only".

Yes it is because it is only fixed to the solar year and not the lunar month. Just because a calendar has months does not automatically make it a lunar calendar. It has to actually have months that are aliened perfectly to each lunar month in order to be a lunar calendar; i.e. 29.53059 days long.

chair

Yes it is because it is only fixed to the solar year and not the lunar month. Just because a calendar has months does not automatically make it a lunar calendar. It has to actually have months that are aliened perfectly to each lunar month in order to be a lunar calendar; i.e. 29.53059 days long.

Aligned perfectly? Your "God's Calendar" is aligned perfectly? It has the same correction method as the current Jewish calendar.

Not to mention that even with imperfect alignment, the Jewish calendar is not a strictly solar calendar. It is lunar-solar. And you know it.

Hawkins

The day of preparation is the day before the weekly Sabbath day...not annual sabbaths...it was a high Sabbath as it was the annual sabbath AND weekly Sabbath

He died as the lambs were being killed on the day of preparation...rested the Sabbath day rose was refreshed and ready for the feast of first fruits which was the day after the Sabbath...

This explanation doesn't match Luke's description of the weekly Sabbath. So it depends on the Jewish custom back then in Jerusalem and Galilee or other places, the day of Preparation is not necessarily for only the weekly Sabbath. It can be for any day working is not allowed, including the first and seventh days of the Passover. Preparation means they need to prepare the meals before the day which working is not allowed.

Last edited: