Cedarbay

I love chesterton
but
I don't necessarily agree with him
I will never know what it is like to not believe
and
I will continue to read him again and again because it is thought provoking
I love his arguments
Yes, he is interesting. We have good friends who are members of the Chesterton Society and travel to the EWTN studios for this and that.

Have you watched Father Brown? He is a hoot with his long black robes flying in the wind as he bicycles around town.

Do you mean you have always believed as a Roman Catholic?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes, he is interesting. We have good friends who are members of the Chesterton Society and travel to the EWTN studios for this and that.

Have you watched Father Brown? He is a hoot with his long black robes flying in the wind as he bicycles around town.

Do you mean you have always believed as a Roman Catholic?

yes
I did stop going to church for 17 years
but
I never stopped believing
john paul the great got me back to church

HisServant

I see very little value in going to Church without doing what Jesus and the Apostles require of us before we step foot inside.

When you make church compulsory, like the RCC due to mass, etc... there are a lot of tough demands that Jesus and the Apostles made of us that are all too convenient to ignore.

Seriously, if you drive by a single homeless person or a person holding a sign looking for work and do not stop to help first... you have no business stepping foot inside a church.

Cedarbay

I see very little value in going to Church without doing what Jesus and the Apostles require of us before we step foot inside.

When you make church compulsory, like the RCC due to mass, etc... there are a lot of tough demands that Jesus and the Apostles made of us that are all too convenient to ignore.

Seriously, if you drive by a single homeless person or a person holding a sign looking for work and do not stop to help first... you have no business stepping foot inside a church.
Sinners attend church.

Wick Stick

only sinners attend church
Just don't tell them that. Many seem to think church-going = righteousness.

In fact, I'm fairly certain that the newest new covenant says that as long as we keep commandments, 1, 2, and 4, we can be forgiven for violating the other 7 commandments.

Commandments 5, 6, 8, & 9 should be defined for you by local law. The letter; not the spirit.

Commandments 7 only applies if someone is looking, or if the person in question is not yourself.

Commandment 10 is not be mentioned, unless one is making an esoteric theological argument.

There, that seems right.

brewmama

Really?... Philadelphia was a ghost town... people left in droves because they didn't want to deal with the lunacy... and the crowds were less than 1/4 of what was planned for.

That may be, yet his words are certainly broadcast around, especially when they coincide with Obama's agenda.

brewmama

How you people exalt man. It is disgusting.

You do not believe Scripture is infallible. You place your traditions of men (the ECF and Councils) above Scripture by calling them infallible. At least up to the 9th century.

You don't even believe in papal authority, so what's your beef with my post?

You are just chock full of misinformation. Nobody in the Catholic Church or Orthodox Church does not believe in the truth of the Bible. That's absurd. We are not the ones who gave up teachings passed down by the Apostles, even as advised not to by St Paul, you are.
I do believe in the authority of Bishops, just that the Roman Pope is one among many.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Just don't tell them that. Many seem to think church-going = righteousness.

In fact, I'm fairly certain that the newest new covenant says that as long as we keep commandments, 1, 2, and 4, we can be forgiven for violating the other 7 commandments.

Commandments 5, 6, 8, & 9 should be defined for you by local law. The letter; not the spirit.

Commandments 7 only applies if someone is looking, or if the person in question is not yourself.

Commandment 10 is not be mentioned, unless one is making an esoteric theological argument.

There, that seems right.

Right if your residence is the local nuthouse.

Cruciform

There is no historic evidence between the 1st and 3rd century that the RCC is Christ's Historic church.
The early Church Fathers unanimously profess their decisively Catholic beliefs and teachings during the initial centuries of Christian history. You have no idea what you're talking about.

disturbo

BANNED
Banned
The early Church Fathers unanimously profess their decisively Catholic beliefs and teachings during the initial centuries of Christian history. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The first century didache is the teachings of the first century apostles and mentions many rituals the Catholic Church adopted. There are various translations of it and I have seen some that mention infant Baptism. The Protestants like to omit that part in their translation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didache

Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call. (Acts 2:38-39:

Infant baptism has occurred since the earliest days of the Church!

"When she and her household were baptized, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come and stay at my home." And she prevailed upon us." (ACTS 16:15).

"(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)" (1 Cor 1:16)

HisServant

The first century didache is the teachings of the first century apostles and mentions many rituals the Catholic Church adopted. There are various translations of it and I have seen some that mention infant Baptism. The Protestants like to omit that part in their translation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didache

Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call. (Acts 2:38-39:

Infant baptism has occurred since the earliest days of the Church!

"When she and her household were baptized, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come and stay at my home." And she prevailed upon us." (ACTS 16:15).

"(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)" (1 Cor 1:16)

It also discredits most of the RCC's dogmas and traditions... so be careful.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
One problem for Catholics is the rule for priests not being married. As this was not an original condition, and is in contradiction to scripture.

This rule is the main reason so many priests are homosexuals.