What would make you Catholic?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I believe that Peter is reinforcing Christ's claim to be the Rock, chief cornerstone of the Church. When are you guys going to get it right.

you are free to believe whatever
we got this big church in rome with peter's name on it
and
billions paying attention to what the pope says

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How come Jesus ain't in that big Church? Everyone has a choice to listen to who they want to.

Wick Stick

Non-Catholics - what evidence would convince you that the Catholic Church was and is the Church founded by Christ?
Question for a question:

What evidence would convince YOU that the protestant churches are all part and parcel of the same single (little 'c') catholic church, along with the Orthodox and (big 'C') Catholic churches?

Cedarbay

Jesus said He would be with any two or more gathered in His name
and
Jesus asked peter to feed His sheep

three times
How the RCC can mess up these passages is beyond me.

John 21:15-17 says nothing about the RCC papacy and it being founded on Peter, nothing.

The blessed apostle Peter continues to claim Christ as the chief Shepherd. I Peter 5:4

glassjester

Question for a question:

What evidence would convince YOU that the protestant churches are all part and parcel of the same single (little 'c') catholic church, along with the Orthodox and (big 'C') Catholic churches?

Fair question.

I would believe that...

if Jesus had intended to form many different churches, with varying and contradictory beliefs.

if sola scriptura was true.

if Jesus had not adamantly defended the real presence in John Chapter 6.

if it weren't philosophically impossible to do a "plain reading" of Scripture, devoid of any subjective interpretation.

if every one of those churches hadn't formed by some shmuck deciding that he had higher teaching authority than the Church given its authority by Christ, Himself.

if the possibility of human error didn't necessitate an infallible orthodoxy.

if the whole protestant philosophy wasn't, "I'll believe whatever I want, and just find/create a church that fits my own personal theological opinion."

Bla bla bla, you get the idea.

turbosixx

Fair question.

I would believe that...

if Jesus had intended to form many different churches, with varying and contradictory beliefs.

if sola scriptura was true.

if Jesus had not adamantly defended the real presence in John Chapter 6.

if it weren't philosophically impossible to do a "plain reading" of Scripture, devoid of any subjective interpretation.

if every one of those churches hadn't formed by some shmuck deciding that he had higher teaching authority than the Church given its authority by Christ, Himself.

if the possibility of human error didn't necessitate an infallible orthodoxy.

if the whole protestant philosophy wasn't, "I'll believe whatever I want, and just find/create a church that fits my own personal theological opinion."

Bla bla bla, you get the idea.

I'm curious why you do not believe in sola scripture?

Cruciform

Certainly is not the Catholic Church.
Post your proof, then, that your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D., and against which he declared that the gates of hell would never prevail (Mt. 16:18). Proof, please.

You have not been able to post scripture to prove it, only Catholic websites.
That is, web sources containing lists of biblical texts demonstrating the Catholic position, so you can stop lying about me supposedly not posting Scripture. In any case, it hardly matters that the sources are Catholic---did you actually expect them to be ANTI-Catholic?---since truth is truth, whatever the source. Your desperate Red Herring, however, is noted---you must avoid facing the facts at all costs, after all. Anything to cling to the opinions of your favored entirely non-authoritative recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. How pathetically sad.

The church I attend believes in Sola Scripture, Sola Fide.
Two 16th-century Protestant doctrinal inventions, neither of which can be found in the Scriptures, and so merely refute themselves. Both are hopelessly unbiblical.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+