Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
interesting
having an opinion on something is interesting
subjecting those opinions to the critics is interesting
criticizing those opinions without offering your own is not
Actually, it is unless you're the guy waving the wrong flag. But the only reason you got that attention was because you were trying to use that flag as another snide little weapon. So complain to yourself, chrys. You're your own worst enemy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
what does that mean?

more innuendo with complete deniability?
I suppose it means I'm giving you entirely too much credit.

See, there's nothing suspicious or evil or untoward about inference, or metaphor even. The wrong flag is the one held by the guy who just had it pointed out that a thing he believed was objectively wrong. To him that's not interesting but it would be to those who weren't waving it.

And in this case you're that guy and I didn't say I was remotely interested in the Quixote bit revisited, only finally got tired of you trying to use that wrong bit of misinformation to swing at me with so I corrected it.

That said, you should rep PJ frequently for giving you yet another thread to talk about me in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
because you read it in the ny times?
No, I knew that from my background in literature. Remember my post where I spoke of Quixote as a seminal work, the near jumping off point of the modern narrative/novel and my duel concentration in creative writing and literature? The Time's piece was something I recalled as a solid, brief summary on point and a quick search under NY Times and the subject brought it back.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No, I knew that from my background in literature. Remember my post where I spoke of Quixote as a seminal work, the near jumping off point of the modern narrative/novel and my duel concentration in creative writing and literature? The Time's piece was something I recalled as a solid, brief summary on point and a quick search under NY Times and the subject brought it back.

I am still having trouble with

objectively wrong.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am still having trouble with

objectively wrong.
Well that's because you don't recognize that the author pulled a play within a play trick and created characters...you know what, read that article. It sets out the impossibility of a few things you'd read if you insisted on seeing the narrative as a related truth instead of a fiction.

Best of luck with that. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so you understand that part
but
you can't explain what the rest of the book is about

interesting
That you're so moved by personal distaste that you don't mind being dishonest? Not really interesting or surprising. I said I wasn't interested in the conversation, that you self apparently weren't interested in more than something you could then attack, conflating your opinion with the standard, that sort of thing.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I haven't read Don Quixote or have I seen any of the movies and plays that it has spawned. I just found the point/counter-point debate between you and TH fascinating. Knowing that I know nothing of the subject you two were writing about led me to the Wikipedia link. I understand the controversy and the positions you've both carved out. I appreciate the Amazon link you provided as that's where I get most of my books from anyway. But the book itself would be lost on me since I don't have a burning desire to read it, at the moment anyhow.

My reading passion right now is God's word, guns, and Game Theory. I am fascinated with Game Theory and I'm currently reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Paper-Sc...2707&sr=8-1&keywords=rock+paper+scissors+book

I have two other books on Game Theory to read, as well as getting caught up with Game of Thrones books 2-5.

is that like dungeons & dragons ? -

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That you're so moved by personal distaste that you don't mind being dishonest? Not really interesting or surprising. I said I wasn't interested in the conversation, that you self apparently weren't interested in more than something you could then attack, conflating your opinion with the standard, that sort of thing.

your attempt at the last word?
or
just another dishonest innuendo?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
your attempt at the last word?
While I've given and attempted to give you that very thing often enough, there's no apparent end to the sniping you're going to engage in. Why should there be an end to answering it?

just another dishonest innuendo?
You can't find, quote and make the point of there being a first...so no. That's just your ill will again.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
While I've given and attempted to give you that very thing often enough, there's no apparent end to the sniping you're going to engage in. Why should there be an end to answering it?

You can't find, quote and make the point of there being a first...so no. That's just your ill will again.

it is not ill will
I am just using you to make my point

to restrict abortion
to protect the child
and
voting republican is the only way to do that
because
the democratic party supports abortion
and
we can't let them get away with that

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it is not ill will
I am just using you to make my point
Which you aren't doing with broad declaration, unless the point is that you can make broad declaration.

to restrict abortion
to protect the child
and
voting republican is the only way to do that
No, chrys, it isn't. It never was and it likely never will be.

because
the democratic party supports abortion
and
we can't let them get away with that
The issue is important to defend and move. There are democrats who feel the same way. Planks don't build much of anything if the man with the hammer isn't swinging. And Republicans, with working majorities, have never swung the hammer. And the men they've given the hammer to have believed in abortion. They've only been narrower about it. I don't know if you count that a virtue. Apparently.

No, if you want to win on an issue you win on the issue, you don't attempt to destroy a party whose popularity with a large section of the population isn't rooted in any one issue, but in a general philosophy and a host of issues.

Is it easier to change a man's mind on an issue or a great many issues? The answer to that is the answer to the wrong headedness of your approach...but then, you want the Democratic party dead for other reasons as well. You just use this as the moral justification and sometimes appear to pretend that it's the whole show when anyone who has listened to you understands that's not the case.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Which you aren't doing with broad declaration, unless the point is that you can make broad declaration.

No, chrys, it isn't. It never was and it likely never will be.

The issue is important to defend and move. There are democrats who feel the same way. Planks don't build much of anything if the man with the hammer isn't swinging. And Republicans, with working majorities, have never swung the hammer. And the men they've given the hammer to have believed in abortion. They've only been narrower about it. I don't know if you count that a virtue. Apparently.

No, if you want to win on an issue you win on the issue, you don't attempt to destroy a party whose popularity with a large section of the population isn't rooted in any one issue, but in a general philosophy and a host of issues.

Is it easier to change a man's mind on an issue or a great many issues? The answer to that is the answer to the wrong headedness of your approach...but then, you want the Democratic party dead for other reasons as well. You just use this as the moral justification and sometimes appear to pretend that it's the whole show when anyone who has listened to you understands that's not the case.

can you name one issue that is more important than abortion?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
can you name one issue that is more important than abortion?
Can you tell me how that changes my point? It is entirely because the issue is so important that we should look past broader objections and move people, wherever politically situated for any number of other reasons, on that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.