Town Quixote FARCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Just for attacking the messenger rather than the message. That is something that can be easily remedied though.

My own opinion ... you would have to work extremely hard and even take lessons in "Trolling 101" to be anything like SOD.

never my intention. i agree with TH many times and learn from and enjoy his threads and posts. my problem is "feeling" attacked and/or my family. i generally do not "call" folks names, certainly not seriously, NEVER in my life have i told someone they ARE going to hell or that they are evil.

i place myself below anyone. i do not perceive MYSELF as good or holy. i am no better than the worst sinner ever i don't need to explain myself, yet i want to. i am NOT Simon, and i "know" the difference between sarcasm, subtle "wording" and accusation. innuendo is accusation sarcastically. i am humble and willing to be accused if i lie. i have not, and i don't hesitate to speak in my or my family's defense.

IMO, if someone has a question, ASK. if someone has a point, MAKE IT. if one has something to say, SPEAK CLEARLY. i was wrong starting this thread and i regret it. cancel if we can. i'm not here to cause problems and i'm not here to fix them - :patrol:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
... IMO, if someone has a question, ASK. if someone has a point, MAKE IT. if one has something to say, SPEAK CLEARLY.
I suspect there's room enough in the world for Hemmingway and Faulkner, Ishiguro and Vonnegut.

I think we only owe others an honest expression of who we are and how we think on a thing, in whatever form is native. That will by its nature include and draw some and repel others. And that's why televisions started out with a knob. :)

But if that doesn't work I include one of AB's favorite photos:

Spoiler
ad68507eca683ddf63eaab4bbbf63d3e.jpg

Brits...who knows? :idunno:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Town Heretic seems to enjoy isolating, "copying" and RE-POSTING conversations to "get the last word" - in a sense. He can think about it, make a good rebuttal and make others look foolish. maybe i'm the only one that notices. TOWN NEVER says anything controversial on the board, (visitor msg's totally different), he is always "politically" correct and at various times "correct" as a Christian. Just MY opinion - :patrol:
Opinion noted.

AMR

Arthur Brain

I suspect there's room enough in the world for Hemmingway and Faulkner, Ishiguro and Vonnegut.

I think we only owe others an honest expression of who we are and how we think on a thing, in whatever form is native. That will by its nature include and draw some and repel others. And that's why televisions started out with a knob. :)

But if that doesn't work I include one of AB's favorite photos:

Spoiler
ad68507eca683ddf63eaab4bbbf63d3e.jpg

Brits...who knows? :idunno:

I would just like to say that this is not in fact one of my favourite photos, or even one I would have particularly sought out at any given juncture whatsoever no matter what the subject, time or place etc. I'm frankly somewhat miffed at this TH, and I expect due recompense in the form of further character assassination etc etc...

:plain:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You and Sod both when you are not being pests can make beautiful posts that speak the truth. But you like to pester people of the forum which leaves me wondering.:think:

Why not point out where the post is wrong? Attack the message rather than the messenger? It is a lesson I have to work on myself.

The bible has a lot to say about speaking evil of people without proper foundation--Namecalling without cause.
Ephesians 4:29 “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”

“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good report, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8

The Town Quixote thread is a TOL fixture that has been around for a long time. The owner himself enjoys the thread. If you do not like it you are welcome to post someplace else.
Thank you Sherman for this your post.

T/H is a friend of mine, I believe him to an honest man and a Christian, whatever spots he may have that less than Christ like or chinks in armor (Ephesians 6:11-18) the Lord will work out of T/H to be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

I read T/H's "The Town Quixote" and enjoy it and will continue to do. Do I stand with T/H, yes, loyalty in friendship is vital to the keeping of that friendship.

Say what you grousers will about others and you will; but as pointed out, why not read the post(s) by T/H or others and and make your point without going after the poster.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
he doesn't even know what don quixote is all about
just ask him
and
he will tell you that he already addressed it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I would just like to say that this is not in fact one of my favourite photos,
Mea culpa. I stand corrected. It was right next to your favorite and I was in too much of a hurry. Consider it fixed with this bit of dramatic license in homage to the great LOTR series' beloved Gandalf:

Spoiler
bdff7dbe174d1799670d30c185822745.jpg

or even one I would have particularly sought out at any given juncture whatsoever no matter what the subject, time or place etc. I'm frankly somewhat miffed at this TH, and I expect due recompense in the form of further character assassination etc etc...
Who knows what any of that means? My best guess is that at some point AB spilled coffee or maybe a juice box on his keyboard and dabbed it up with a napkin before he hit send. :idunno:

Last edited:
Now I could be wrong, but it seems to me TH spends more time on political or cultural issues than matters of the Christian faith. If this is true, there could be many reasons for it. He's been on TOL much longer than me so it could be his focus, not his beliefs, are in a different direction now. No one likes constantly repeating oneself. I certainly can understand that since I've had my fill of homosexual and political threads. Getting to know people like AB, Rusha, A4T, Anna, and others through music, word games, baseball, etc. can be quite rewarding. It certainly affects my interactions with them on other threads in a positive way. It takes awhile to really know someone, especially someone as complicated as TH, and many others here on TOL.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Now I could be wrong, but it seems to me TH spends more time on political or cultural issues than matters of the Christian faith.
That's true enough. I limit most matters of faith discussions to the salvific and I spend most of my time (regarding religious discussion) and have always spent a not inconsiderable bit of time defending the faith from the often poorly founded and assumptive attacks of anti theists. I'm doing that now in two separate threads. I've spoken to salvation, given my own witness more than once and commented on the works/faith division, but I do spend more of my time generally trying to lighten a frequently cloudy mood.

I'd suppose more of my writing is found in the And the Rest section.

If this is true, there could be many reasons for it. He's been on TOL much longer than me so it could be his focus, not his beliefs, are in a different direction now.
I've never spent much time arguing among the faithful. I felt a different calling on the point. Else, I have done quite a bit of reading and listening to those here who are, to my mind, doing a better and more informed job than I could anyway. When I find better voices on a thing I tend to be quiet and listen. Learning is one of the reasons I've stayed here. And it's been educational on any number of fronts.

No one likes constantly repeating oneself. I certainly can understand that since I've had my fill of homosexual and political threads.
I think that probably causes a lot of the old timers to drift away or post more infrequently. Especially those who arrive with a particular drum to beat. Eventually it gets tiring. I came to learn, to offer whatever insight I could muster and to entertain and be entertained. In short, I came and I remain because of the people I found and find here.

Getting to know people like AB, Rusha, A4T, Anna, and others through music, word games, baseball, etc. can be quite rewarding.
Agreed. :)

It certainly affects my interactions with them on other threads in a positive way. It takes awhile to really know someone, especially someone as complicated as TH, and many others here on TOL.
That isn't how you spell constipated, you know. :nono: :eek:

Last edited:
That's true enough. I limit most matters of faith discussions to the salvific and I spend most of my time and have always spent a not inconsiderable time defending the faith from the often poorly founded and assumptive attacks of anti theists. I'm doing that now in two separate threads. I've spoken to salvation, given my own witness more than once and commented on the works/faith division, but I do spend more of my time generally trying to lighten a frequently cloudy mood.

I'd suppose more of my writing is found in the And the Rest section.
I find myself drifting back and forth. If the title is interesting, or I really like reading a certain writer's take on something, I might read the whole thread without posting a comment (though I do like giving pos reps).
I've never spent much time arguing among the faithful. I felt a different calling on the point. Else, I have done quite a bit of reading and listening to those here who are, to my mind, doing a better and more informed job than I could anyway. When I find better voices on a thing I tend to be quiet and listen. Learning is one of the reasons I've stayed here. And it's been educational on any number of fronts.
I will argue with the "faithful" if I think someone's leading others astray. And I will start a thread if I think a subject might be interesting for others besides myself. I don't like to argue, for the argument's sake. I'm not a debater. I look for truth.
I think that probably causes a lot of the old timers to drift away or post more infrequently. Especially those who arrive with a particular drum to beat. Eventually it gets tiring. I came to learn, to offer whatever insight I could muster and to entertain and be entertained. In short, I came and I remain because of the people I found and find here.

Agreed. :)

That isn't how you spell constipated, you know. :nono: :eek:
Always end with a joke, if possible. Thank you TH for being you, always. :carryon:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I find myself drifting back and forth.
Sounds soothing. :)

If the title is interesting, or I really like reading a certain writer's take on something, I might read the whole thread without posting a comment
I miss when I had more time to do that. I find most of the people I speak with or to these days are longer established friends. When I had more time I spend a good bit of it reaching out to the new kids.

(though I do like giving pos reps)
No you don...oh. :eek: (if it helps I'm weeping on the inside)

I will argue with the "faithful" if I think someone's leading others astray.
I like the word. I also love to hear "beloved". There's a moment in the remake of the Bishop's Wife when the pastor does that and it always makes me smile.

And I will start a thread if I think a subject might be interesting for others besides myself. I don't like to argue, for the argument's sake.
It depends with me...if I'm listless, have time (rarer now) I might argue a point to see how well put together someone's thinking on a thing is. Mostly not though.

I'm not a debater. I look for truth.
I prefer discussions and I find so many people are holding lamps these days you can get a concussion just listening closely.

Always end with a joke, if possible. Thank you TH for being you, always. :carryon:
I think leaving people smiling, in or out of disagreement, is rarely a waste of energy. Thanks for the conversation. :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
he doesn't even know what don quixote is all about
just ask him
and
he will tell you that he already addressed it
Now it's chrys...There seems to be a number of people spilling drinks on their computers. Complete gibberish. Someone get that boy a towel. :think: Or an argument that holds water.

rainee

... Getting to know people like AB, Rusha, A4T, Anna, and others through music, word games, baseball, etc. can be quite rewarding. It certainly affects my interactions with them on other threads in a positive way. It takes awhile to really know someone, especially someone as complicated as TH, and many others here on TOL.

SObG,
The whole post was so good, but I think the message in this part is potd
material and an important part of TOL

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
we have a thread for this

dodged questions
You should ask yourself why you thought Cid Hamet Ben Engeli sprang from something other than the fertile imagination and pen of the author. That would be a good one. This one isn't.

Didn't you believe the novel is about the Catholic church? It's been a while and who knows what or why you believe a thing...mostly to make yourself feel good if this is any indication.

Last edited:

rainee

... Just MY opinion - :patrol:

BTW Patrick Jane,
I have had my own experience with making a thread like this, tho mine was directed toward more than one poster it certainly would have included Town.

It was my (unsuccessful) attempt to fight.
The good the bad and the ugly

I thought I had a chance. I even named the thread a striking name like "attention whores" because someone may have insinuated I was one or something like that, can't remember. But I was for sure called a troll. So I understand if this was your attempt to fight back if you are stung. Just remember, Town and everyone is gifted with their own gifts and experienced.

Up To Right now, I feel I have won.
That can change any day of course but if you want to feel like a winner you have to have evidence you are one - for yourself.

What did I do? How did I win?

I outlasted my conflicts. I'm still standing. I'm here.
They got tired and forgetful of being angry with me while I laid low and posted around.
No one will call me a coward. Or a troll (very often :D)

I still miss others who could not/did not make it through.
(Calling me weird doesn't offend me) :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...What did I do? How did I win?
You became my friend? :)

I outlasted my conflicts. I'm still standing. I'm here.
We outlasted our conflict. We're still standing. We're here.

They got tired and forgetful of being angry with me while I laid low and posted around.
I never forgot our differences. I was never angry with you and you never have to lay low with me...which really didn't come out the way I intended. :shocked:

No one will call me a coward. Or a troll (very often :D)
Name calling is just so stupid....wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.