Town Quixote FARCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You should ask yourself why you thought Cid Hamet Ben Engeli sprang from something other than the fertile imagination and pen of the author. That would be a good one. This one isn't.

Didn't you believe the novel is about the Catholic church? It's been a while and who knows what or why you believe a thing...mostly to make yourself feel good if this is any indication.

that is pretty good
you remembered part of my explanation
but
I can't remember yours
will you ever repeat it?
or
did you ever do it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
that is pretty good
you remembered part of my explanation
Mostly it was my recalling that nearly everything reduces to that for you, but I'll take the credit.

but
I can't remember yours
Well, we all have different gifts. Maybe yours is whistling.

will you ever repeat it?
Why would I? It's not like you'd remember it.

or
did you ever do it?
Well, it's not like you'd remember if I did. :plain: Apparently.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Mostly it was my recalling that nearly everything reduces to that for you, but I'll take the credit.

Well, we all have different gifts. Maybe yours is whistling.

Why would I? It's not like you'd remember it.

Well, it's not like you'd remember if I did. :plain: Apparently.

another dodged question

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
another dodged question
You were wrong then and you're wrong now. And repeating a mistake would shift the problem from you to me. No thanks. Also, you continue to struggle with the whole "mostly don't respond"...or did you mean to infer that you mostly initiate our conversation? :think:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You were wrong then and you're wrong now. And repeating a mistake would shift the problem from you to me. No thanks. Also, you continue to struggle with the whole "mostly don't respond"...or did you mean to infer that you mostly initiate our conversation? :think:

look
just give us a link
or
repeat your explanation

you can't do either
but
you can dance

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
look
just give us a link
or
repeat your explanation
Who even remembers what thread that was in, assuming it hasn't been pruned? And what in the world gave you the impression that because you anointed yourself grand inquisitor anyone would feel compelled by it? "Us"? :D

I'm not even completely sure you speak for you...at least not consistently.

You're a goof, chrys. And I'm not moved by you when you try that.

you can't do either
Like I've said, even your questions aren't questions.

I left off the Men Without Hats reference. It's just dated. As is this act of yours, so...you should get back to practicing mostly not responding. It needs a lot of work.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Who even remembers what thread that was in, assuming it hasn't been pruned? And what in the world gave you the impression that because you anointed yourself grand inquisitor anyone would feel compelled by it? "Us"? :D

I'm not even completely sure you speak for you...at least not consistently.

You're a goof, chrys. And I'm not moved by you when you try that.

Like I've said, even your questions aren't questions.

I left off the Men Without Hats reference. It's just dated. As is this act of yours, so...you should get back to practicing mostly not responding. It needs a lot of work.

just like I said
he can't give us a link
nor
can he repeat his explanation
but
he can dance

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I will now repeat my explanation of don quixote

it is not written by cervantes who translated it from arabic
it is written by a muslim mocking the crusades
the man of la mancha is defending the catholic church represented by dulcinea

see what I did there town
it is real easy

Son of Jack

it is not written by cervantes who translated it from arabic
it is written by a muslim mocking the crusades
the man of la mancha is defending the catholic church represented by dulcinea

see what I did there town
it is real easy

Interesting. How did you come to this conclusion?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Interesting. How did you come to this conclusion?

the translation from arabic of a muslim historian is in the book
you just have to believe what he says
the man of la mancha is obviously a knight or crusader
and
their purpose was to defend the church which has often been referred to as a whore
and
that is dulcinea
it is now easy to connect the dots
I am sure this has already been suggested by someone somewhere

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

it is not written by cervantes
Walk into the nearest university, walk up to a professor of literature, especially if you can find one specializing in the period and then get back to me with what you won't ever acknowledge you enormous goof. :)

Or, you could look at this from the NY Times, I suppose:

"The Arabic manuscript, the Moor tells him, is the "History of Don Quixote de la Mancha, written by Cide Hamete Benengeli, an Arab historian." Cervantes brings the Moor to the cloister of a church and commissions a translation.

We know this is all a jest, as is the very name of the historian: "Cide" is an honorific, "Hamete" is a version of the Arab name Hamid, and "Benengeli" means eggplant."

...At the time when Cervantes was writing this novel, nothing about this jest was possible. Neither an Arabic-speaking Moor nor a Hebrew-speaking Jew would have been readily found in the Toledo marketplace. And no Moor would have translated Arabic in the cloister of a church.

...When Cervantes wrote "Don Quixote" a quarter century later, this experience led to an extensive story about Moors and Christians involving kidnapping, conversion and betrayal. He wrote, though, not as warrior but as a philosopher. His empathy for the Moors is cautious but unmistakable.

... "Don Quixote" is a resigned acknowledgment of a new kind of terrain that defined modernity: in it, very little is certain and much is lost. The book's power, though, also comes from Quixote's stubborn quest: he won't entirely let us accept that something else isn't possible.​

Of course who wrote the thing has little to do with what it's point is, a thing the author tells us early on. But for some reason it's at that point that chrys stops believing everything he reads. :plain:

fzappa13

... and honesty demands I can't think of a fictional character I more closely resemble. Wait ... we are talking about fiction, right?

bybee

Town Heretic seems to enjoy isolating, "copying" and RE-POSTING conversations to "get the last word" - in a sense. He can think about it, make a good rebuttal and make others look foolish. maybe i'm the only one that notices. TOWN NEVER says anything controversial on the board, (visitor msg's totally different), he is always "politically" correct and at various times "correct" as a Christian. Just MY opinion - :patrol:

A comment lacking substance but rather flourishing in inanity! I thought you to be more observing than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.