This idiot needs a little jail time.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
While I wait for a barbarian to respond to this post, showing the folowers of the thread where in the video said pit bull's tail was wagging and she was acting in a friendly manner:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4095633&postcount=48

I have to wonder why the dog owners waited 2 months to take this to the media?

Perhaps the male owner was incarcerated in a correctional facility somewhere in Texas and wasn't immediately available for comment, or maybe he had warrants for his arrest at the time and didn't want the PO-leece coming around again. But then maybe they were just waiting for "National Lynch a Police Officer Month".

Thoughts barbarian?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Doesnt matter if the tail is wagging. I have a dog and its tail wags when people are near, they think its cute and start to come close and i have to warn them if they touch her or get too close to us (family) as cute as it is, it will take their hand off, tail wagging and all.

Too many people think its tail wagging means its friendly, when its only friendly to us - my dog sees anyone else as a threat.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Doesnt matter if the tail is wagging. I have a dog and its tail wags when people are near, they think its cute and start to come close and i have to warn them if they touch her or get too close to us (family) as cute as it is, it will take their hand off, tail wagging and all.

Too many people think its tail wagging means its friendly, when its only friendly to us - my dog sees anyone else as a threat.

Are you an "animal ethologist"?
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4095485&postcount=46

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
While I wait for a barbarian to respond to this post, showing the folowers of the thread where in the video said pit bull's tail was wagging and she was acting in a friendly manner:

You didn't look at your own video? Oh that's right, it has the shooting edited out. But the one I posted shows that. Go back and look there. Your video did show the big pit bull running up to the officer and playfully jumping up on him, and also interacting in a friendly way with other people in the area. It even followed the officer around.

I have to wonder why the dog owners waited 2 months to take this to the media?

This was finally released by the Cleburne police department, after which the owners posted it on the web. Don't know if an FOI was required or not. Would you like me to check for you?

Perhaps the male owner was incarcerated in a correctional facility somewhere in Texas and wasn't immediately available for comment, or maybe he had warrants for his arrest at the time and didn't want the PO-leece coming around again.

It's quite typical of Connie to suppose that being black means one is "incarcerated in a correctional facility." That's what guys like Connie do.

Thoughts barbarian?

You've again confirmed what people here think of you.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Doesnt matter if the tail is wagging.

Matters a lot. But as you just learned yesterday, the face and ears are a better index. Tail-wagging is a sign of excitement. Go back and look at the drawings I posted, showing the different signs of calm, fear, and rage.

This is a "play face", a dog asking for another person or dog to interact in play:
dog-play-face.jpg

Go back and look at the videos. No fear or rage evident, and open mouth. The act of jumping up on a human is another form of play invitation. Dogs, BTW, are adapted to understanding human play invitations. Which is why that officer made the noise to lure the puppy close enough for a good shot; the dog thought he was going to give him some affection.

If you don't get any of this, then it might be best for you to just avoid strange dogs entirely.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If my neighbor had pitbulls that were lose, I'd of shot the dog too.

she did that just to get a positive rep

notice how the whiners ignore the fact that there were 3 pit bulls?
and
the fact the caller in the car thought there were 4 to 5

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
she did that just to get a positive rep

notice how the whiners ignore the fact that there were 3 pit bulls?
and
the fact the caller in the car thought there were 4 to 5

Pit Bull hysteria is yet another way we can feel virtuous about a "danger" when, as the video shows, most pit bulls are friendly and affectionate as other dogs.

There are snappish breeds, but pit bulls are not one of them.

According to the American Temperament Test Society (2010-2011), 804 American Pit Bull Terriers were tested and 695 passed. This means that 86.4% of Pit Bulls tested by the ATTS had a good temperament. Pit Bulls pass rating was above 121 other breeds of dogs, including Golden Retrievers!

So, how did some of America’s other “favorite” breeds do? Hopefully these figures will help diminish the negative stereotyping of Pit Bulls.

Golden Retriever = 84.9%

Beagle =80.6%

Bichon Frise =76.7%

Chihuahua =71.1%

Cocker Spaniel =81.9%

Labrador Retriever = 92.4%

Lhasa Apso = 70.4%

Shih Tzu = 78%

Yorkshire Terrier 82.5%

Of course if a cocker spaniel goes after a kid, the results can be horrible, but usually not lethal. And that's a consideration. There isn't much to do with a pit bull that's been made vicious by mistreatment, but put them down; a vicious pit bull is much more dangerous than a vicious Yorkie.

Give Connie's tendency to categorize races, it's not surprising he'd do it with breeds of dog.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

So true.

It only takes a second for the disposition of a dog to change drastically.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You should really dig into this subject more--quite eye opening. They have a bad rep to be sure, but it's incredibly overblown. Shepherds, Rotties, and Dobermans all went through the same thing.

Keep in mind this boils down to bad owners.

Keep in mind that the general public doesn't know what kind of owner a loose pit bull or other reputation large destructive/aggressively natured dogs have and because if its the wrong kind, they can cause death or grave injury and even the very best owner could have a dog very loving to them and their family but very dangerous to others - especially to children.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind that the general public doesn't know what kind of owner a loose pit bull or other reputation large destructive/aggressively natured dogs have and because if its the wrong kind, they can cause death or grave injury and even the very best owner could have a dog very loving to them and their family but very dangerous to others.

Agreed, to a point. Many people buy pits for the wrong reasons, obviously, and have no clue how to handle them (or raise any dog, for that matter). They're the owners who through ignorance or malice contribute to the breed's bad reputation.

Circling back to the cop in the OP, however...what he did was inexcusable.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Granite writes:
You should really dig into this subject more--quite eye opening. They have a bad rep to be sure, but it's incredibly overblown. Shepherds, Rotties, and Dobermans all went through the same thing.

Keep in mind this boils down to bad owners.

Granite, you're asking them think for themselves, again. You know that just confuses them and makes them cranky.

This isn't about reason for them. For Connie, it's all black people's fault. For Chrys, it seems to be mostly his emotional disconnect with others. And Angel? Well, it's mostly me. If I came out against shooting puppies, she'd be all for it.