This idiot needs a little jail time.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
I have deep sympathy for the person who does not understand the relationship between humans and dogs. He misses a part of being human, and something important about God's creation.

Because we have a pervasive symbiosis with them. It appears that dogs are the only domesticated animals which chose to become associated with us. And we have adapted to them, as much as they have adapted to us.

We can learn much about what it means to be human by looking at them and our relationship with them.

There are other animals with which we can become friends of sorts. I have a pair of owls living across the street that raise a brood every winter. They have become very tolerant of me walking around under the trees with my camera, so much so, that it's funny when the fledglings get all worried and the parents pretty much ignore me.

But we just don't share as much with other animals as we share with dogs. I am sad that not all people are capable of having relationships like that. I believe God loves animals, who are wholly innocent, and that cruelty to them is deeply offensive to Him.

Truster writes:
Why don't you just try telling the truth for once.

That was my picture. I took it, I hold the copyright on it. And yes, it is really hard, unless one has put in the time to learn. They are tolerant of my presence because I act in ways that they don't see as threatening. I've spent a lifetime learning how to approach animals and learn from them.

You're perhaps young and not terribly well-acquainted with God's creation; if you're willing to stop and listen to Him, you can do it. But not if you make an idol of your own hopes and desires.

Have the humility to accept that you don't know everything. If I've misunderstood your intent, I'd be pleased to show you the evidence for any of this. Are you willing to learn?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Being that George Zimmerman and his entire family had to go into hiding

C'mon, Connie. Many of his family will have nothing to do with him, claiming that he molested a cousin while she was a minor. They disowned him.

due to death threats from tolerant liberals like you,

Show us that, with a checkable source that they were "liberal", much less libertarian.

while Martin's family had positive 24/7 coverage from the lying mainstream media and most likely made a ton of cash off of "Justice for Trayvon" hoodies,

As I said, if you think FOX is "mainstream" you're dumber than people think. (and yes that's possible, if highly unlikely)

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Now that we've been through the pleasantries, let's talk pit bull.

Like shooting a pit bull puppy, being lured closer by someone pretending to be friendly?

Before we get into the breed itself, I'll share this information from a dog website that talks about a dog wagging it's tail.

Dog Bite Prevention Week: Learn to Tell the Tale from the Tail

Which wag?

One of the biggest misconceptions that we hear about dog body language is:

"The dog must be happy because he is wagging his tail."

The Calm Wag
Actually, a wagging tail is one of least reliable indicators of how a dog is feeling. There are many different types of tail wagging, but there is only one type of wag that indicates the dog is safe for children to pet—the calm wag.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3542

As I recall the dog was growling and wagging it's tail at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong). Would the responding officer who spoke to several witnesses that were concerned for their safety believe that the pit bull was wagging it's tail in a calm manner?

If so, provide the evidence.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian asks:
Like shooting a pit bull puppy, being lured closer by someone pretending to be friendly?

(Connie, the animal ethologist prepares to lecture us on dog behavior)

No one with any sense looks at the tail alone. The real key is the face and ears. If the tail is wagging with the ears back, the dog is scared. If it's wagging with the muzzle wrinkled up and teeth showing, it's angry. And if all of this is showing, it's infuriated and scared and is completely unpredictable; behavior is likely to switch from flight to aggression and back without warning.

Show us that sort of behavior in the video, Connie.

Notice that the puppy in the video has his mouth open, tail wagging and ears forward. He's not scared and he's not angry. He's like the big one that ran out and jumped up on the cop and slobbered on him out of playfulness.

As I recall the dog was growling and wagging it's tail at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong).

Show us that in the video. The big dog was entirely friendly, even affectionate. He let someone else, not his owner collar him and take him back into the yard. The video of the puppy didn't show any growling.

Would the responding officer who spoke to several witnesses that were concerned for their safety believe that the pit bull was wagging it's tail in a calm manner?

Unless he's a bigger moron than we think yes. He was making kissy noises, to lure the dog closer. He'd be dumber than you, if he thought that would work with an angry or frightened dog.

The pup was wagging its tail, ears forward, open mouth, jaw relaxed.. That's the play face.

Your ignorance of the subject is certainly consistent with the rest of your behavior here.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And no one cares that these dangerous type of dogs were running loose and not on a leash like they should have been (yes barbie, cleburne has a leash law)

§ 91.02 ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE.
It shall be unlawful for any dog, owned, kept or harbored to run at large as defined in § 91.01. The Police Department or Animal Control Officer shall have the authority to impound such animals running at large. They shall furthermore be enabled by this chapter to enter onto privately-owned property in pursuit of an animal at large so long as in doing so they do not violate a property owner's “posted” or “no trespassing” notice.
('68 Code, § 5-10) (Ord. 3-1989-10, passed 3-21-89) Penalty, see § 91.99

If the man whose dogs these were, followed the law, there would have never been an issue.

Police in cleburne are also authorized to kill dogs they deem dangerous.

§ 91.66 AUTHORITY TO KILL, IMPOUND OR DESTROY ANIMALS.
The Animal Control Supervisor or his designated deputies, or a peace officer, is authorized to:
(A) Kill an animal which poses an imminent danger to a person or property or a real or apparent necessity exists for destruction of the animal.

Pit bulls are considered dangerous animals by most municipalities.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Barbarian asks:

(Connie, the animal ethologist prepares to lecture us on dog behavior)

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

From the website "clickertraining.com" and article entitled "Dog Bite Prevention Week: Learn to Tell the Tale from the Tail":

No one with any sense looks at the tail alone. The real key is the face and ears. If the tail is wagging with the ears back, the dog is scared. If it's wagging with the muzzle wrinkled up and teeth showing, it's angry. And if all of this is showing, it's infuriated and scared and is completely unpredictable; behavior is likely to switch from flight to aggression and back without warning.

Show us that sort of behavior in the video, Connie.

In review:

The officer [Clerburne Texas Police Officer Kevin Dupre] was responding to the 911 call in the 1500 block of Lindsey Street...

On Aug. 10, police responded to a 911 call from a woman who said that she, along with an elderly woman and a baby, were trapped in their car by several pit bulls...

The women said two brown pit bulls at the scene earlier were aggressive, that they were snapping and growling and that one attempted to bite one of the women through the window, the report stated...

The officer then located two brown pit bulls that did not seem to be aggressive, but he described how a brown male came then within 20 feet of him and became aggressive and started growling. He also wrote that the female dog appeared to be nervous and that he made kissing noises to calm the animals.

“I was standing outside the ditch and it [the dog] was in the ditch. I raised my duty weapon to the ready position pointed at the growling dog’s head. As soon as I lifted my pistol, the dog began coming up the hill, continuing to growl and display its teeth. The other dog began backing away. I fired three shots at it. It rolled back into the ditch and died,” the officer wrote.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/1...-police-reviewing-officers.html#storylink=cpy

Regarding the video: You're obviously seeing more in it than I am.

Notice that the puppy in the video has his mouth open, tail wagging and ears forward. He's not scared and he's not angry. He's like the big one that ran out and jumped up on the cop and slobbered on him out of playfulness.

Remember that there are two pit bulls in the "ditch". Can you point out which dog was shot, and specifically show the followers of this thread that the dog shot had all of the signs of a friendly pit bull, and that at the time of the shooting that said pit bull wasn't moving up the hill as the officer stated?

For those that aren't familiar with the danger of a pit bull attack, this is from the website that the barbarian keeps ignoring (dogsbite.org) :

When a pit bull attacks, the injury inflicted may be catastrophic.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/768875-overview#a0104

First responders, such as police officers and firefighters, understand this as do members of the media, who are quick to report these attacks. Ongoing social tension also keeps pit bulls in the news. The pit bull problem is nearly 30-years old.8 In this time, most lawmakers have been "too afraid" to take breed-specific action to correct the problem. Due to this failure, horrific maulings continue to make headlines.

About half of all media reports regarding pit bulls involve police officers shooting dangerous pit bulls in the line of duty.9
http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-us-police-citizen-shootings-of-pit-bulls.php

Since the late 1970's pit bulls have been used extensively in criminal operations for drug dealers, gang members and other violent offenders. The pit bull terrier is the breed of choice for criminals. This choice is directly linked to the pit bull's selectively bred traits of robust jaw strength, a deadly bite style, tenacity (gameness) and a high tolerance to pain.10...

"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."11

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-faq.php

Granite

Hall of Fame
The guy's a thug and deserves to be locked up, of that I have no doubt. I'd be stunned if he even gets a slap on the wrist. These maniacs in uniform can pretty much do whatever they want. "I'm the police," said McConaughey's character in True Detective. "I can do terrible things with impunity."

Also, I've already read enough total nonsense here about pitbulls, so please, everyone please get yourself educated before spouting off about these lovely and wickedly misunderstood canines.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
And no one cares that these dangerous type of dogs

Yes, the officer is very lucky that the big dog that "attacked" him didn't lick him to death.

were running loose and not on a leash like they should have been

I don't think I'm the only one who noted that the proper response would have been to wait for animal control (which was there in time to stop the officer from killing any more friendly dogs)

But you already know that, don't you? The penalty, BTW, is not having your dogs shot by a rogue officer. If dogs get out of a yard, that's not the opportunity for police to use them for fun.

Police in cleburne are also authorized to kill dogs they deem dangerous.

His superiors removed him from duty and the mayor says he's troubled by this officer's behavior. Any fool could see that those animals were not threatening anyone. And the officer knew this. He was making playful noises to lure the puppy closer so he could kill it. I notice he didn't kill the big dog, most likely because there were witnesses who saw that it was not aggressive. He apparently forgot he had a body cam on, and that is what tripped him up.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The guy's a thug and deserves to be locked up, of that I have no doubt. I'd be stunned if he even gets a slap on the wrist. These maniacs in uniform can pretty much do whatever they want. "I'm the police," said McConaughey's character in True Detective. "I can do terrible things with impunity."

Also, I've already read enough total nonsense here about pitbulls, so please, everyone please get yourself educated before spouting off about these lovely and wickedly misunderstood canines.

what if it was your mother, your wife, and your baby in that car with 4 to 5 pit bulls near it?

Granite

Hall of Fame
what if it was your mother, your wife, and your baby in that car with 4 to 5 pit bulls near it?

We can play what if all day, chrys. In any event the scenario you just described has zero--zero--to do with the OP.

I'm a pitbull owner, by the way.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
We can play what if all day, chrys. In any event the scenario you just described has zero--zero--to do with the OP.

I'm a pitbull owner, by the way.

Do you keep them on a leash in public, or let them run wild like the owner of the ones in the op did?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Do you keep them on a leash in public, or let them run wild like the owner of the ones in the op did?

They managed to break out of their fenced yard, so it's not as though the owners just let them wander around. In public I always keep my girl leashed. That said, I have a fenced yard too, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that one day she just might figure a way out of there. If that happens I'd prefer she didn't get murdered by a thug wearing a badge.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
They managed to break out of their fenced yard, so it's not as though the owners just let them wander around. In public I always keep my girl leashed. That said, I have a fenced yard too, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that one day she just might figure a way out of there. If that happens I'd prefer she didn't get murdered by a thug wearing a badge.

there were three of them
the caller in the car thought there were 4 to 5
and
that is all the police knew at the time

so why do you have a pit bull?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

My mom loved dogs and knew them well enough that she would have known that these weren't dangerous. Both she and my wife would have simply called animal control and gotten them picked up, primarily for their own safety.

A few years ago, I noticed an obviously confused and scared rottweiler running about near the government center. I stopped and took out the dish we use for the dog when traveling, and poured some water into it. The dog immediately realized I was trying to help, came up and drank the water, and stayed with me. I called animal control, and they told me that a man was in the area looking for the animal. He arrived shortly later and took it back to the yard.

Or the police could have gone out and shot it. It's always true; stupidity kills.

Pit bulls are like guns; not worrisome, unless in the hands of the stupid or criminal. While any dog can become aggressive under the right conditions, pit bulls are not vicious unless trained to be.

Granite

Hall of Fame
there were three of them
the caller in the car thought there were 4 to 5
and
that is all the police knew at the time

so why do you have a pit bull?

Why does anybody have anything? When I saw her at the shelter I knew she was the one.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If my neighbor had pitbulls that were lose, I'd of shot the dog too.